/var/spool/mqueue is empty...

Post by David Kin » Tue, 13 May 2003 16:47:00

I had some problems with a sendmail from ports install overwriting my
/etc/mail/*.cf's, and so without realising it, my mail for a week was not
sent out. The command "mailq" says that /var/spool/mqueue is empty, but
"ls /var/spool/mqueue|wc -l" as root gives me "84". Is there any way to
force it to read those messages from disk?

/var/spool/mqueue is empty...

Post by Victor Muzychenk » Wed, 14 May 2003 02:28:24

sendmail -q -v

/var/spool/mqueue is empty...

Post by Per Hedela » Wed, 14 May 2003 05:42:03

>I had some problems with a sendmail from ports install overwriting my
>/etc/mail/*.cf's, and so without realising it, my mail for a week was not
>sent out. The command "mailq" says that /var/spool/mqueue is empty, but
>"ls /var/spool/mqueue|wc -l" as root gives me "84". Is there any way to
>force it to read those messages from disk?

Do you have a lot of files in there with names starting with Qf (instead
of qf as they normally do)? Renaming the queue file qf* -> Qf* is
sendmail's last resort when it can neither send nor bounce nor double-
bounce, and would otherwise lose the mail.

If you do have that, you can rename them back again, perhaps with
something like (in 'sh', not [t]csh):

  for f in Qf*; do mv $f `echo $f | sed 's/^Q/q/'`; done

and then run 'sendmail -q'. Per above, you may not get the original
messages sent though, but a lot of double-bounces delivered to your
postmaster mailbox - they should have the original text inside at
least...

--Per Hedeland

/var/spool/mqueue is empty...

Post by David Kin » Wed, 14 May 2003 08:50:44

Exactly what i was looking for :) Thank you!

> Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 20:42:03 +0000 (UTC)

> Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
> Subject: Re: /var/spool/mqueue is empty...

> >I had some problems with a sendmail from ports install overwriting my
> >/etc/mail/*.cf's, and so without realising it, my mail for a week was not
> >sent out. The command "mailq" says that /var/spool/mqueue is empty, but
> >"ls /var/spool/mqueue|wc -l" as root gives me "84". Is there any way to
> >force it to read those messages from disk?

> Do you have a lot of files in there with names starting with Qf (instead
> of qf as they normally do)? Renaming the queue file qf* -> Qf* is
> sendmail's last resort when it can neither send nor bounce nor double-
> bounce, and would otherwise lose the mail.

> If you do have that, you can rename them back again, perhaps with
> something like (in 'sh', not [t]csh):

>   for f in Qf*; do mv $f `echo $f | sed 's/^Q/q/'`; done

> and then run 'sendmail -q'. Per above, you may not get the original
> messages sent though, but a lot of double-bounces delivered to your
> postmaster mailbox - they should have the original text inside at
> least...

> --Per Hedeland

1. Problem with /var/spool/mqueue filling up

We are having some problem with a network printer, and /var/spool/mqueue
keeps filling-up with the following types of messages:

1- Problem with the printer itself.  Would it be possible to tell AIX to
stop issuing messages every five minutes after 5 messages have been sent
(like SCO Unix is doing).  It's OK to let us know there is a problem, but
it's useless to keep complaining during days every 5 minutes an fill up the
disk (actually the inodes pool).
2- An e-mail is sent automatically (again every 5 minutes) to the user who
sent the reports to the defective printer, but the e-mail system is not
configured correctly.  End result:  messages in mqueue saying something
about a "Host name lookup failure".  Is it possible to tell AIX to NOT send
e-mail when there is a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Pierre Bilodeau
BML Consultation Inc
(450) 963-7700
(514) 944-8252 (Cell)
(450) 963-7099 (Fax)

2. sendmail, linux, smarthost: problem: all mail remains in queue, unsent

3. /var/spool/mqueue Problem

4. which distribution to use??

5. /var/spool/mqueue full

6. XF86Config for ET4000W32i on Viewsonic 15 ?

7. /var/spool/mqueue running out of space.

8. MILO hangs with this PCI video card :(

9. Newbie :SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue

10. What is /var/spool/mqueue for?

11. Mail building up in /var/spool/mqueue

12. Q: sendmail-8.8.0 problem, /var/spool/mqueue permissions

13. : What is /var/spool/mqueue for?