Combine multiple Internet connections for load balancing and failover.

Combine multiple Internet connections for load balancing and failover.

Post by Henrik Pih » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:57:24

But has anyone really succeeded with load balancing under *BSD? Hardware
routers cannot be replaced quite fast enough as a regular pc with
hardware and a copy of the software.

Combine multiple Internet connections for load balancing and failover.

Post by Jamie Burn » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:05:03

Most of the solutions I have seen use an intelligent HTTP proxy that load
balances requests between multiple connections. It can actually work quite
well, as even for a single web page, different images can be tranferred over
different connections. In a busy office the percieved speed increases are
greater as overall contention is lowered. Also, single large HTTP downloads
can also be load balanced assuming the webserver supports the "HTTP Resume"
feature (different chunks of the same file may be independantly downloaded
over different connections). And if one connection fails, the proxy can just
force all traffic onto the 1 good connection.

Jamie Burns.

Quote:> But has anyone really succeeded with load balancing under *BSD? Hardware
> routers cannot be replaced quite fast enough as a regular pc with
> hardware and a copy of the software.

Combine multiple Internet connections for load balancing and failover.

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:54:39

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 00:05:03 +0100

JB> Most of the solutions I have seen use an intelligent HTTP proxy that
JB> load balances requests between multiple connections. It can actually

        The other family of solutions is to use a fancy DNS server (for
this you have to have the primary for the domain) that responds to A
requests by selecting from a pool of IP addresses (corresponding to the
pool of servers) and always marks responses with a very short life (say
five minutes). It's heavy on DNS requests but can be made free of any
single point of failure. I think the only one in the ports is dns_balance,
I've never tried it.

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
                                            |   http://www.sohara.org/

1. Combine multiple Internet connections for load balancing and failover.

I'm trying to find a solution for combining separate ADSL Internet
connections for load balancing and automatic failover.

I can't use the traditional BGP solution, and the appliance "Fatpipe
Xtreme" (http://www.fatpipeinc.com/xtreme/) is way too expensive.

Is anyone working on something like this? If so, can anyone point me
in the right direction? I would prefer to run it on OpenBSD for
security and reliability, if possible.

TIA,

JS

2. Anybody know about 'Lee' terminals?

3. balance 2.33 - a simple tcp proxy with load balancing and failover

4. Slackware or Debian Distribution

5. Load Balancing Multiple Internet Conenctions

6. Multia Boot Problems

7. DSL multiple connection router load balancing

8. *mht files

9. load balancing (aggregation) for multiple pppoe connections to same ISP

10. How can i do load balancing with 2 Internet connections (redhat 7.2) ?

11. load balancing / sharing internet connection query

12. load balancing with 2 internet connections?

13. load balancing / sharing internet connection query