What happened to my 'find' command?

Post by Sean Bennet » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[running FreeBSD 2.2.6]

Hi all;

last week my 'find' command suddenly went on the fritz;

   find / -name <file> -print

used to work fine, searching my whole disk for the file in
question.  Now however, it immediately prints out a list of 50-60
lines like the following, yet can't find which I know does exist.

sean# find / -name httpd -print
    *returns*
find: /usr/include/isofs: No such file or directory
find: /usr/include/machine: No such file or directory
find: /usr/include/msdosfs: No such file or directory
find: /usr/include/net: No such file or directory
find: /usr/include/netatalk: No such file or directory

What happened to my 'find' command?

Post by Mark A Cartwrig » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

sounds like links that the targets have been removed.  You may want to
check into that...

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:14:12 +0900, Sean Bennett

>[running FreeBSD 2.2.6]

>Hi all;

>last week my 'find' command suddenly went on the fritz;

>   find / -name <file> -print

>used to work fine, searching my whole disk for the file in
>question.  Now however, it immediately prints out a list of 50-60
>lines like the following, yet can't find which I know does exist.

>sean# find / -name httpd -print
>    *returns*
>find: /usr/include/isofs: No such file or directory
>find: /usr/include/machine: No such file or directory
>find: /usr/include/msdosfs: No such file or directory
>find: /usr/include/net: No such file or directory
>find: /usr/include/netatalk: No such file or directory

What happened to my 'find' command?

Post by Sean Bennet » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi Mark;

Thanks for the note;  I'm a little new to FreeBSD;  could you clarify the
term 'targets' ?   If they are missing - is there a way to rebuild them?
(note: The directories and files which my find command currently says
don't exist in fact do exist.)

TIA

Sean

> sounds like links that the targets have been removed.  You may want to
> check into that...

> On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:14:12 +0900, Sean Bennett

> >[running FreeBSD 2.2.6]

> >Hi all;

> >last week my 'find' command suddenly went on the fritz;

1. Piping results of a 'find' command to a 'mv' command...

Is there a way to do the following without scripting:

Pipe the contents of a 'find' command to a 'mv' command, so that the
results of 'find', example:

find / -iname '*simpsons*' 2>>/dev/null

/home/shawn/downloads/simpsons1.mpg
/home/shawn/simpsons/Halloween Special IX.mpg
/home/shawn/unsorted/simpsons02.mpg

are all moved to a folder of my choosing:

Something like:
find / -iname '*simpsons*' 2>>/dev/null | mv /home/shawn/tv/simpsons

Can anyone help?  If scripting is required, I don't mind, but I
thought that if there was an easy way, I'd like to use it.

If scripting is required, is there an easy way to do it just by
creating a script containing a list of commands and running it after
chmod +x?  Or would I have to do something with Perl in order to loop
through the results of the 'find'?

I know a little Perl, but if there is some other type of scripting
preferred for this type of thing, please tell me the name of it and
where I might find a little documentation.

Thank you for any help you can give.  And please, even if the answer
can be derived from a particular command, do not simply type 'man
commandName'.  A little description/advice would be very nice.

Shawn

2. help newbie: Network Card SetUp, Problem with IRQ?

3. usage of 'foreach' and 'find' commands

4. Masquerading RedHat Linux 7.1

5. Need to find info on the 'FIND' command

6. Root exploit?

7. Usind 'find' command to find certain text within a file

8. nmbd not running in samba

9. What happened to 'chsh' (change shell) command?

10. 'Find' 'Updatedb' or find database replacement for Solaris 2.X?

11. How to hide from 'who', 'finger', 'ps' commands?

12. Help with 'user', 'w', 'who' commands

13. Kernel Compile Problems - 'as86 command not found'