A few weeks ago I was looking for internal PCI modems that worked with
FreeBSD. I knew that winmodems probably didn't work, and I found hints
that non-winmodem internal modems _might_ work, but I couldn't find
anything that pointed me to a specific model that works. So I gambled
and tried a U.S.Robotics 5610B "56K Performance Pro Modem" (available
from several sources for under $80US).
So this is just a data point for anyone else who might be in that
position ... the 5610b works!
There were a couple of potentially confusing issues, though:
- At first, I had the vanilla 4.5 kernel. When the system booted, it
found the modem at sio0 (/dev/cuaa0) but 'moved' it to sio4. But sio4
maps to /dev/cuaa4, and there was no /dev/cuaa4. So I edited my
kernel configuration file, commented out the sio2 and sio3 lines, and
rebuilt the kernel. With the new kernel the system finds the modem
and moves it to sio2, and I can access it as /dev/cuaa2!
- I also had plug-and-play BIOS issues. I have a motherboard with
on-board ethernet, and at first the BIOS gave both the modem and the
on-board ethernet IRQ 10. In this configuration, the modem worked but
the ethernet didn't. When I moved the modem to a different PCI slot,