u.s.robotics 5610b internal pci modem works with freebsd 4.5!

u.s.robotics 5610b internal pci modem works with freebsd 4.5!

Post by tsin.. » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 06:58:33

A few weeks ago I was looking for internal PCI modems that worked with
FreeBSD.  I knew that winmodems probably didn't work, and I found hints
that non-winmodem internal modems _might_ work, but I couldn't find
anything that pointed me to a specific model that works.  So I gambled
and tried a U.S.Robotics 5610B "56K Performance Pro Modem" (available
from several sources for under $80US).

So this is just a data point for anyone else who might be in that
position ... the 5610b works!

There were a couple of potentially confusing issues, though:

- At first, I had the vanilla 4.5 kernel.  When the system booted, it
found the modem at sio0 (/dev/cuaa0) but 'moved' it to sio4.  But sio4
maps to /dev/cuaa4, and there was no /dev/cuaa4.  So I edited my
kernel configuration file, commented out the sio2 and sio3 lines, and
rebuilt the kernel.  With the new kernel the system finds the modem
and moves it to sio2, and I can access it as /dev/cuaa2!

- I also had plug-and-play BIOS issues.  I have a motherboard with
on-board ethernet, and at first the BIOS gave both the modem and the
on-board ethernet IRQ 10.  In this configuration, the modem worked but
the ethernet didn't.  When I moved the modem to a different PCI slot,
everything worked.

tim

u.s.robotics 5610b internal pci modem works with freebsd 4.5!

Post by c_man.. » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 07:47:37

Interesting...

I just bought a GVC PCI 56K modem (model 0321, with hardware controller).
It even has install instructions for Linux, so it was very easy to setup for this platform.
(1 line in a config file.)

I am still looking for a way to make it work for FreeBSD though. I did  comment out
the sio2 and sio3 lines in the kernel config to no avail. The kernel does find the device
but it's not mapping it to sio2.

Anyone else had success with PCI modem ?

Le 07 Jun 2002 17:58:33 -0400

Quote:> A few weeks ago I was looking for internal PCI modems that worked with
> FreeBSD.  I knew that winmodems probably didn't work, and I found hints
> that non-winmodem internal modems _might_ work, but I couldn't find
> anything that pointed me to a specific model that works.  So I gambled
> and tried a U.S.Robotics 5610B "56K Performance Pro Modem" (available
> from several sources for under $80US).

> So this is just a data point for anyone else who might be in that
> position ... the 5610b works!

> There were a couple of potentially confusing issues, though:

> - At first, I had the vanilla 4.5 kernel.  When the system booted, it
> found the modem at sio0 (/dev/cuaa0) but 'moved' it to sio4.  But sio4
> maps to /dev/cuaa4, and there was no /dev/cuaa4.  So I edited my
> kernel configuration file, commented out the sio2 and sio3 lines, and
> rebuilt the kernel.  With the new kernel the system finds the modem
> and moves it to sio2, and I can access it as /dev/cuaa2!

> - I also had plug-and-play BIOS issues.  I have a motherboard with
> on-board ethernet, and at first the BIOS gave both the modem and the
> on-board ethernet IRQ 10.  In this configuration, the modem worked but
> the ethernet didn't.  When I moved the modem to a different PCI slot,
> everything worked.

> tim

u.s.robotics 5610b internal pci modem works with freebsd 4.5!

Post by c_man.. » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 08:19:52

Well it's working now ! :-)
The mistake I did was commenting out sio1.

Le Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:47:37 -0400