problem with newfs in new installation

Post by Tony Porcz » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

I've grepped through the posts in this group for the past two weeks and
have also looked into the FreeBSD documentation, but I couldn't find
anything regarding this problem.

I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.05 (yes, I know it's an old version,
but perhaps this is not version specific) on someone else's machine.
It's a Pentium 90, ASUS Triton P/I-P55PP4XE motherboard with on-board
hard drive controller, BIOS Award '95 PCI/PNP586, CD controller Revel
SC400 rev.2 with Revel CDROM (both showing up as "Panasonic").  Hard
drive is Seagate ST51080A.  Now to the specific problem:

I get through fdisk, disklabel and assign fine, write okay, then proceed
and get an error during the initial newfs attempt.  Unfortunately, the
error message is obstructed by a window telling me there was an error :-)

I will appreciate any pointers.

t.

GIT/ED d++$(!d) s++:++ a? C++++ USLB++++$ P+ E--- W(--) N++ !k w-- M- V? b-

Post by J Wuns » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

> I get through fdisk, disklabel and assign fine, write okay, then proceed
> and get an error during the initial newfs attempt.  Unfortunately, the
> error message is obstructed by a window telling me there was an error :-)

Wait on the first screen until the problem happened, then type Alt-F2
to see the messages on the second screen.

--
cheers, J"org

1. Problems with 'newfs' on new drive...

        I am trying to install a new hard drive on my Sun running SunOS
4.1.3_U1 (Solaris 1.1.1RevB).  I can format the drive and run all of the
diagnostics without any errors being generated and then create a disk
label.  When I attempt to do a 'newfs /dev/rsd2a' (this is the proper
device identifier), the disk spins for a second and I get "no entry in env
- core dumped".

        Can anybody explain what the problem may be?  The drive is properly
detected by my machine and seems to format just fine.

Thanks.

Mike.

Northstar Technologies                 WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch
Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA                      Compuserve: 76620,2534

2. can't startx kde

3. New PPP problem from new modem installation

4. Kmail 'send' broken in 4.1 ?

5. New HOWTO....HOWTO-Hose-RedHat-Installation (help!)

6. Mouse Problems

7. new partition, newfs

8. How to use debugfs

9. New Red Hat 6.1 installation on new big disk

10. New NIC's & new installation on ISA only system

11. New Release: LinkScan 5.5 has new easy installation process

12. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

13. Netscape plug-ins problem