keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

Post by Flbill Blip » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have two computers one with freebsd and one with nt.
I want to use one keyboard and one mouse for both,
switching back and forth with a switch box. So I bought
a cheap ($16) switchbox with DIN-5? (the keyboard
plugs) and DB-9 connectors on it. Then with adapters
each computers PS-2 jacks for keyboard and mouse are
plugged in.

The mouse doesn't work on either, but the keyboard
works on and off. If I am in NT, and then switch to
freebsd, the keyboard no longer works until I unplug
it and plug it back in (when I switch all three keyboard
lights stay on until I unplug it, then it resets). The
reverse is not a problem, I can switch straight from
freebsd to NT and the keyboard continues to work.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I try
buying another switchbox or is it hopeless?

keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

Post by stanislav shaluno » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I use 4 port Belkin switch at work.  It was about $150-200 I think.
If you're interested email me and I'll look up exact model for you.

Post by n.. » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone have experience with this? Should I try
> buying another switchbox or is it hopeless?

I have had good results with the Belkin OmniCube 4-port (F1D094).  My
configuration consists of a FreeBSD 3.2 server, a Novell NetWare 4.11
server and a WinNT Wkstn 4.0 SP4.

Just be sure to use PS/2 mice.  You can use AT keyboards with PS/2
adapters.  They can be obtained for under $100 (US).  I got mine from
Buycomp.
--

JCA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Robert Huf » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone have experience with this? Should I try
> buying another switchbox or is it hopeless?

        I have a no-name 4-position manual switchbox.  It has XT keyboard
connectors, serial  connectors for the mouse, and standard VGA
video.
        It has worked perfectly for over a year, and at $40 (plus cost of
cables) is one of the best investments I've ever made.

                        Robert Huff

keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

Post by Flbill Blip » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have had good results with the Belkin OmniCube 4-port (F1D094).  My
> configuration consists of a FreeBSD 3.2 server, a Novell NetWare 4.11
> server and a WinNT Wkstn 4.0 SP4.

> Just be sure to use PS/2 mice.  You can use AT keyboards with PS/2
> adapters.  They can be obtained for under $100 (US).  I got mine from
> Buycomp.

Thanks to everyone. I looked at the belkin web page and the thing that
bothers me is that it says that video refresh is 65hz at 1600x1200.
I can certainly tell the difference between 70hz and 60hz. Does your
screen become jittery? My monitor has two inputs so I could keep
my video out of the switch box, but I plan to get a mac at some point.
So, I plan to need to connect video for 3 computers to the monitor.

keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

Post by Karl » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

i tried a few of the expensive ones. but at the end i bought a cheap
(~$40-50) box with works for 4 servers. it has connectors for 4* input
vga/keyboard/mous and output 1*all. the ps/2 keyboards works with adapters.
great solution for me.

karl

Quote:>> I have had good results with the Belkin OmniCube 4-port (F1D094).  My
>> configuration consists of a FreeBSD 3.2 server, a Novell NetWare 4.11
>> server and a WinNT Wkstn 4.0 SP4.

>> Just be sure to use PS/2 mice.  You can use AT keyboards with PS/2
>> adapters.  They can be obtained for under $100 (US).  I got mine from
>> Buycomp.

>Thanks to everyone. I looked at the belkin web page and the thing that
>bothers me is that it says that video refresh is 65hz at 1600x1200.
>I can certainly tell the difference between 70hz and 60hz. Does your
>screen become jittery? My monitor has two inputs so I could keep
>my video out of the switch box, but I plan to get a mac at some point.
>So, I plan to need to connect video for 3 computers to the monitor.

keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

Post by Flbill Blip » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> i tried a few of the expensive ones. but at the end i bought a cheap
> (~$40-50) box with works for 4 servers. it has connectors for 4* input
> vga/keyboard/mous and output 1*all. the ps/2 keyboards works with adapters.
> great solution for me.

My original post was about how my manual switchbox doesn't allow the
mouse to function at all, and the keyboard I have to unplug and replug
after switching to freebsd everytime. Are you switching between freebsd
and NT? What box are you using?

keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

Post by Karl » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

i switch between 3 freebsd and 1 nt 4.0 server on one box and 4 freebsd
servers on the other box. the mouse always works fine after switching. the
boxes are "noname" boxes available in some stores here. as far as i know u
have to look that the box really switches all pins and not only a few of
them.

karl

Quote:>> i tried a few of the expensive ones. but at the end i bought a cheap
>> (~$40-50) box with works for 4 servers. it has connectors for 4* input
>> vga/keyboard/mous and output 1*all. the ps/2 keyboards works with
adapters.
>> great solution for me.

>My original post was about how my manual switchbox doesn't allow the
>mouse to function at all, and the keyboard I have to unplug and replug
>after switching to freebsd everytime. Are you switching between freebsd
>and NT? What box are you using?

keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

Post by Daniel T » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have two computers one with freebsd and one with nt.
>I want to use one keyboard and one mouse for both,
>switching back and forth with a switch box. So I bought
>a cheap ($16) switchbox with DIN-5? (the keyboard
>plugs) and DB-9 connectors on it. Then with adapters
>each computers PS-2 jacks for keyboard and mouse are
>plugged in.

>Does anyone have experience with this? Should I try
>buying another switchbox or is it hopeless?

Whether this arrangement works or not, I believe has to do with
the hardware, the specific motherboard and support chips, not
what the software/OS is.
I have a FreeBSD system that tolerates a switchbox just fine
and another that doesn't -- different motherboards.

keyboard/mouse switchbox with freebsd

Post by Flbill Blip » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> i switch between 3 freebsd and 1 nt 4.0 server on one box and 4 freebsd
> servers on the other box. the mouse always works fine after switching. the
> boxes are "noname" boxes available in some stores here. as far as i know u
> have to look that the box really switches all pins and not only a few of
> them.

In case anyone cares, I found a solution that works for my two
computers,
just for keyboard and mouse.

1. Two mice.
2. I have a mechanical switch box with 5 inputs (4 would work). The
keyboard is plugged into the input, and the cables to the computers
are in odd jacks on the box. To switch computers I click back and forth
between A and C with B inbetween. This way the keyboard losses power
while I pass through B everytime I switch, (I guess the keyboard resets)
and it works.

As far as the video problem that I don't need to address yet, I haven't
found a solution that doesn't seem to degrade the signal terribly.