How to test Samba stability in FreeBSD

Post by Q » Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:31:44

I want to see how stable Samba is under FreeBSD compared to LInux.

does anyone know hwo to do it?

Thanks

sam.

How to test Samba stability in FreeBSD

Post by Dennis Whit » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Have had a lot of problems with Samba in Linux,
that is being able to access the Linux box from
a win98 machine through network neighborhood,
explorer, etc. When I login as root, still not in the
xwindows gui, I run smbd & nmbd & can see the
Linux box from windows, but can't access it.
Could it be because I'm not running as you say to
run it, i.e.,
"Then add your startup script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d so that it
will come up at boot",
& if so, how do I make that script & name it? Thanks
for any help you can give. Am a "newbie" to Linux,
FreeBSD & all other Unix type os's, but have managed
to get online, do email, mount windows drives, & kind
of hate to give it up on it so soon.

> Original Message dated 9/3/00, 2:31:44 AM

> Re: How to test Samba stability in FreeBSD:

> Iwant to see how stable Samba is under FreeBSD compared to LInux.
> does anyone know hwo to do it?
> If you have set up Samba under Linux, I believe it's going to be pretty
> much the same.  You will need to configure your /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
> file, and you can use swat to do that with a browser if you want
> simple.  Then add your startup script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d so that it
> will come up at boot.  I have it running on two networks now, and have
> no problems whatsoever...well, I'll qualify that by saying I never have
> trouble with the samba server, but the Windows machines are garbage as
> usual.

How to test Samba stability in FreeBSD

I'll give it a shot. Thanks Michael.

Post by Michael Joyne » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:04:41

If you used the ports method (or pkg method) in installing Samba,
there should be a file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ called samba.sh.sample.
so:
cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
cp samba.sh.sample samba.sh

on next reboot smbd and nmbd should start up properly (PRESUMING YOUR
HOSTNAME IS PROPERLY DEFINED IN /etc/hosts)

to start it up without rebooting type
cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
./samba.sh start

good luck!

--

===
Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
===
---
Michael Joyner
Systems Administrator

How to test Samba stability in FreeBSD

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Got Samba running, can see the bsd box in network neighborhood, can see
> the windows machine with nmblookup, but when I try to connect to the bsd
> box from network neighborhood, it tells me wrong password.

Read docs/textdocs/ENCRYPTION in the samba distribution.

miguel

How to test Samba stability in FreeBSD

Post by irelan.. » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

dsg.net>,

> > Got Samba running, can see the bsd box in

network neighborhood, can see
Quote:> > the windows machine with nmblookup, but when

I try to connect to the bsd

Quote:> > box from network neighborhood, it tells me
wrong password.

> Read docs/textdocs/ENCRYPTION in the samba
distribution.

> miguel

What Miguel is telling you is that (if I remember
correctly). When a Windows machine sends
passwords over the a network...they are encrpyted
by default.  When you setup Samba Server for the
first time...by default it will send passwords in
plain text...so Samba Server and a Windows
machine isn't speaking the same language.  You
can change your Windows machine to accept plain
text over the network or you can also configure
Samba to accept encrypted passwords.  Either way
you do it....they (Samba Server and Windows
machine) have to be on the same sheet of music.

Also...if your trying to logon as "root" remotely
on to your Samba Server that won't work either.

Good Luck!

-Lorenzo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

How to test Samba stability in FreeBSD

Post by wolf » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

If you are running Windows 98, or Windows 95 with the ppp update
you need to apply the win9x.plain.password.reg file from the Samba
/usr/local/share dir
to the windows machine, then reboot the windows machine.