scandisk/chkdsk and ftp-server proggy

Post by Wow » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 05:00:27

hi

I am newbie and I wonder if there is a commando such like scandisk/chkdsk
that for FreeBSD ?
and what is a good application for FTP-server for Freebsd ?

thanks in advance

Newbie

scandisk/chkdsk and ftp-server proggy

Post by Graham Brig » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 10:15:20

Hi,

Quote:>I am newbie and I wonder if there is a commando such like scandisk/chkdsk
>that for FreeBSD ?

Well, you could try fsck to check your disks, but in general you do not
have to worry about this. FreeBSD should fsck your disks automatically if
you do not shutdown or reboot the server correctly (e.g., power cut or
hitting the power button), and it will do an automatic fsck every 20
reboots or so.

Quote:>and what is a good application for FTP-server for Freebsd ?

There are lots of FTP servers available, however they all suffer the same
problem - security holes.

I would recommend that you use SSH (try OpenSSH from www.opensecsh.org),
and then use scp to copy files to and from the host. I think that OpenSSH
also has a secure ftp program as well, so that might be worth exploring.
For a terminal program for windows, try PuTTY
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/), and for a scp GUI
client for Windows, try iXplore (linked from the above page, or
http://www.i-tree.org/ixplorer.htm). It is a bit crude at the moment
though.

If you absolutely must have an FTP server, then I am afraid that I cannot
help you, as I am too paranoid to install one! :-)

Once you have SSH installed (and working!), comment out the line in
inetd.conf in /etc that runs telnetd. This will make your machine more
secure.

Hope this helps.

Graham

Post by Jim Levi » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 01:51:23

>>and what is a good application for FTP-server for Freebsd ?

> There are lots of FTP servers available, however they all suffer the
> same  problem - security holes.

I'll have to disagre with you on that statement. AFAIK the current
versions of FreeBSD's FTP daemon, Wu-FTP, ProFTP, and NcFTP have no known
security flaws. However any FTP sever shares the same vulnerabilty that
telnet and rlogin have, namely that the username & password is
trasnmitted "in the clear" and thus can be be recovered by someone
running a network sniffer. That vulnerability is what SSH is designed to
protect by encrypting the entire session.

Personally I have no qualms about having an FTP server available. You
just have to be careful to use it in an intelligent manner. If there is
any real risk of the session being sniffed an FTP transfer may not be the
best idea. And there are ways of doing that safely. You can always create
a temporary account, use it for the FTP transfer, and immediately delete
the account. Or install NcFTP and set it up to use its local FTP-only
account capability (and make the FTP account names and passwords
different from their Unix counterpart).

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed FreeBSD.

Post by Daniel Rud » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:46:56

> hi

> I am newbie and I wonder if there is a commando such like scandisk/chkdsk
> that for FreeBSD ?
> and what is a good application for FTP-server for Freebsd ?

> thanks in advance

> Newbie

The UNIX equivilent for Microsoft's chkdsk/scandisk is fsch.  Do a man
fsck to find out more.  As for FTP server, just use the ftpd that comes
with FreeBSD.  Check out the man page man ftpd.

--
Daniel Rudy

Remove "0123456789." and ".invalid" to reply.
Please reply to dcrudy at aol dot com.