Wacked up Keyboard Situation with the FreeBSD 4.4 Installation?

Wacked up Keyboard Situation with the FreeBSD 4.4 Installation?

Post by Lan Pha » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:45:27

Hello world :)

well, here's my situation. i am a newbie in freebsd to start off with.

I booted up the FreeBSD4.4 Mini-ISO straight from cd, it totally skips the
kernel configuation mode. goes straight into probing and freezes in the
sysinstall. and if i tried to press another key when it prompts "press enter
to continue..(?)" and used the command "boot -c" (a person told me to tried
that.. i believe in #freebsdhelp) it will scrolls all of this random text
continuosly (i think its suppose to be the kernel configuation menu... but
the screen is full of scrolling text)

here is the weridest thing... i replaced the default keyboard i normally use
(a generic acer ps/2 keyboard... with those annoyoing wakeup/sleep/power
buttons.. & the windows buttons ) with this anicent ps/2 keyboard i dug up
(no wakeup, sleep, power buttons) and then the installtion works?!?!?!

also.. after i installed FreeBSD with the old keyboard.. i replaced it with
the new one.. and the bootup freezes?!

um. sumone explain why does this happen and how to fix this problem? or is
it just my bad luck? *shrugs*

thx ^_^
-Lan

P.S for those ppl that mite figure to say "use the old keyboard.." most of
the keys are mega *ed (gotta press REALLY hard to register one letter)
and i dunno if i should get a new keyboard just in case this mite happen!

oh yeh! .. i forgot.. machine spegs

Asus AVVL-VM Motherboard (via chipset)
S3ProSavage KM133 VideoCard
20gig Futitsu Hdd
512 Meg RAM
800Duron
40*16*10 acer RW
RT8319 interface network card
hehe i believe thats it?
:)

Wacked up Keyboard Situation with the FreeBSD 4.4 Installation?

Post by Jim Ankru » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:19:00

Quote:> also.. after i installed FreeBSD with the old keyboard.. i replaced it
with
> the new one.. and the bootup freezes?!

> um. sumone explain why does this happen and how to fix this problem? or is
> it just my bad luck? *shrugs*

> thx ^_^
> -Lan

> P.S for those ppl that mite figure to say "use the old keyboard.." most of
> the keys are mega *ed (gotta press REALLY hard to register one
letter)
> and i dunno if i should get a new keyboard just in case this mite happen!

use the old keyboard ;)

til you can get a new one anyway would be my guess. I have a friend that
whenever he would boot his machine it would beep like crazy until he hit the
esc key then it would continue to boot. Turned out that his / key was stuck
just enough to register keyboard errors during post. Replaced his keyboard
and all is well now :)Maybe you have something similar?

Jim

Wacked up Keyboard Situation with the FreeBSD 4.4 Installation?

Post by Lan Pha » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:29:17

naw, no stuck keys! hehe. the keyboard that *es up is a new keyboard!
.. cuz this machine works under linux & win2k... dunno why not freebsd

Post by Ian Pulsfor » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 05:21:21

> Hello world :)

> well, here's my situation. i am a newbie in freebsd to start off with.

> I booted up the FreeBSD4.4 Mini-ISO straight from cd, it totally skips the
> kernel configuation mode. goes straight into probing and freezes in the
> sysinstall. and if i tried to press another key when it prompts "press enter
> to continue..(?)" and used the command "boot -c" (a person told me to tried
> that.. i believe in #freebsdhelp) it will scrolls all of this random text
> continuosly (i think its suppose to be the kernel configuation menu... but
> the screen is full of scrolling text)

> here is the weridest thing... i replaced the default keyboard i normally use
> (a generic acer ps/2 keyboard... with those annoyoing wakeup/sleep/power
> buttons.. & the windows buttons ) with this anicent ps/2 keyboard i dug up
> (no wakeup, sleep, power buttons) and then the installtion works?!?!?!

I had the exactly the same problem installing on a normally keyboardless
server.  Another problem I had was always hitting the power button
instead of pause and pause instead of pageup on my dual-booting
machine.  So it's back to the old keyboard.

IanP

1. FreeBSD 4.4 Installation Problems...

As a user of Win2K and occasional Linux, I'd thought I give FreeBSD 4.4 a try.
The computer is a Dell 933MHz 256MB pc-133 sdram, Maxtor ATA-100,
nVidia-Gforce 256 generic, Viewsonic 17 Model A70 monitor.

FreeBSD is the boxed retail version (CD installation)
I can't get the X-server to start. From the root shell I run a startx and also
another command but I get an error -- X server failure, access denied. Also,
during the installation of FreeBSD on a virgin disk, the install will hang at
a blue screen for an *extremely* long period of time (15+ minutes) after
a certain number of packages have been installed. The installation, up untill
that point was also very very long -- about 20 times longer than Linux.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

--
blackjack

2. Success with IP_forwarding check & routing subnet -- thank you.

3. Installation FreeBSD 4.4

4. DVD question

5. Simple FreeBSD 4.4 installation questions - dir time and root shell

6. Scripting question

7. keyboard not working with KVM (4.4-RELEASE)

8. Video memory and X

9. FreeBSD 4.4 and Soudblaster Live! = No Sound

10. Kerberos support in NFS for FreeBSD 4.4?

11. installing a new HDD[NEWBIE]{FreeBSD 4.4}

12. FreeBSD 4.4 as gateway...

13. FreeBSD 4.4, sshd logging