FreeBSD dump format incompatible with Solaris?

FreeBSD dump format incompatible with Solaris?

Post by srln.. » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Is the FreeBSD dump format incompatible with Solaris ufsdump/ufsrestore?
I have dumped a FreeBSD filesystem to a remote Solaris DAT drive (using
rdump). The dump is readable with rrestore on the FreeBSD host, but this
is what happens when I try and use the tape on the Solaris system.

 sun# ufsrestore ibf 20 /dev/rmt/0
 resync restore, skipped 2 blocks
 resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
 . is not on volume
 Root directory is not on tape

I have taken care to make sure that the tape block sizes (blocking factor
times default block size) are identical.

Whose dump is the more *standard*?

--
Roger Williams, Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences, New Zealand

Post by Christian Weisgerb » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Is the FreeBSD dump format incompatible with Solaris ufsdump/ufsrestore?

I'm under the impression that they are compatible.
Try dumping a small partition, say /, to a file, and to read this
on the Solaris box.  Just to exclude any problems with reading the
tape.

Quote:> Whose dump is the more *standard*?

There is no standard for dump.

--

FreeBSD dump format incompatible with Solaris?

Post by Jonathan Fosbur » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have taken care to make sure that the tape block sizes (blocking factor
>times default block size) are identical.

>Whose dump is the more *standard*?

Every version of dump is designed around the filesystem that is being
dumped. It may be reasonable to assume that dump is compatible across *BSD,
and *maybe* Solaris, since I believe that they still use FFS, although it
may be modified so much that dumps are incompatible. The xfsdump of IRIX is
not compatible with anything else as it uses the xfs filesystem, and the
AIX backup uses JFS, so it is not compatible with anything else. I have no
idea about HP-UX, Tru64, etc.

Post by Gregory Bon » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Is the FreeBSD dump format incompatible with Solaris ufsdump/ufsrestore?

AFAIK FreeBSD restore can read Solaris ufsdump tapes, but not vice-versa.

In fact, FreeBSD restore can read SunOs dump tapes much better than
Solaris ufsrestore can.

Greg.

Post by srln.. » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> Is the FreeBSD dump format incompatible with Solaris ufsdump/ufsrestore?

>AFAIK FreeBSD restore can read Solaris ufsdump tapes, but not vice-versa.

>In fact, FreeBSD restore can read SunOs dump tapes much better than
>Solaris ufsrestore can.

You would appear to be right. I've dumped a small filesystem to a disk file
on both a Solaris 7 system and a FreeBSD 4.0 system and transferred each
to the other.

The Solaris system 'ufsrestore if' chokes on the FreeBSD dump file.

The FreeBSD 'restore -i -f' appears to understand the Solaris dump file. It
tells me "Note: Doing Quad swapping". I selected and restored a text file
on the FreeBSD box and it came back identical to the original dumped on the
Solaris system.

--
Roger Williams, Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences, New Zealand

1. CC error: ild: (warning) ignoring symbol version info due to incompatible format

Using CC: WorkShop Compilers 4.2 16 Jun 1998 C++ 4.2 patch 104631-07 under
Solaris 2.6 we get the following error message when linking.

ild: (warning) ignoring symbol version info due to incompatible format

Anyone have an idea what this means and why its hapening?

ild: (Performing full relink) internal free space in output file exhausted (sect
ions)
ild: (warning) ignoring symbol version info due to incompatible format
ild: (warning) ignoring symbol version info due to incompatible format

Thanks!

Bryan

2. Minicom can't talk to Cisco

3. 1 * dkZPVLNds-CC error: ild: (warning) ignoring symbol version in fo due to incompatible format

4. Can't set up SMC network card: Help

5. ksld_dbx rpoblem - incompatible format in object file.

6. Q. How to network with ethernet address only ( without TCP/IP protocol) - in ethernet.

7. 1 * eEuoXEMfG-CC error: ild: (warning) ignoring symbol version in fo due to incompatible format

8. Announce: JobRap a FREE voice chat util

9. Shared library compiled on Solaris, incompatible with Solaris 9?

10. .pkg format on solaris and freebsd

11. FreeBSD and HP DAT Driv(35480A) incompatible?

12. skey incompatible for FreeBSD <-> Linux

13. Getting dump to remote dump on Solaris