Connor Tape.stor 1700 tape drive QIC-3020

Connor Tape.stor 1700 tape drive QIC-3020

Post by Gary J. Myer » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to modify the kernel to use this Connor tape drive. It came
with it's own interface card. I tried putting it on the secondary floppy
without using the interface card.
configured the kernel: tape    ft1    at fdc0 drive 1
No Joy. Kernel does not probe it.
Do I need to use the interface card?

Any Ideas?

Connor Tape.stor 1700 tape drive QIC-3020

Post by Ean Kingsto » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Gary,

The Floppy Tape sub-system isn't supported in FreeBSD versions 3 and
above.  A few of us have tried to get it working again without much luck.
I got it as far as recognizing the tape drive during boot (but lost my
floppy drive in the process).

AFAIK FreeBSD doesn't support proprietary tape cards but I haven't really
looked recently so someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I believe your
current tape drive options are limited to atapi (on ide controller) and
scsi drives.

Good luck.

--

Ean Kingston
Just another faceless name on the Internet.

1. QIC-3020 tape drive from Gateway ?

What I have here is a Gateway box with linux installed, and one of the
gadgets is a "QIC-3020" tape drive.  The boot log contains the lines:

| tpqic02: Runtime config, $Revision: 0.4.1.5 $, $Date: 1994/10/29 02:46:13 $
| tpqic02: DMA buffers: 20 blocks, at address 0x1e4000 (0x1e3f74)
| ftape: allocated 3 buffers aligned at: 00208000

So it seems to have recognized the tape drive and assigned it to the
ftape driver.  But I haven't succeeded in writing or reading any tape
yet.  One problem is the usual one with tape drives on Unix-like
systems:  What the hell is it called?  There are /dev/rmt0, /dev/rmt8
and /dev/rmt16 devices, but they get "No such device or address" errors.
There are also some /dev/*ft* and /dev/*st* devices, but none of them
seem to make the tape move; most get errors, while a few seem to just
get timeouts.

How does one figure out how (or whether) a tape drive is installed
on linux?  Is this perhaps a device that just won't work?  Should I
pick up a different driver from somewhere?

--
Anything you want to know is available on the Net, but you can't find it.

2. IP HELP PLEASE: Source Routing, Multiple Internet Connections, NAT, Firewalls, and NO DMZ

3. QIC-3020 Tape Drive

4. Compiler Error : 2.5.60

5. QIC-3020/TR3 Tape Drives?

6. Achieving uniformity on all machines running Solaris 8

7. How do I get my Connor 3020 Travan Floppy tape working?

8. SYSLOGD Stopped

9. Connor 4000MB SCSI QIC-3080 Tape Drive

10. Ftape reports "Your FDC does not support QIC-3020.." ?

11. QIC-3020 CMS Jumbo 1400 specs needed

12. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

13. QIC-36 tape drive with an Emulex QIC-36-> SCSI board