Newbie Question - Upgrade | Reinstall

Post by Marcel Mas » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have a dual boot system with Win95 & Free-BSD 2.1.5 operating and
have recentely decided to upgrade to the 2.2.6 release. What is the
best way of doing this, I have nothing on the BSD slice that I really
need.

What is the proper method of accomplishing this? If I do a complete
reinstall will it wipe out everything that is there (I would actually
prefer this)?.

Thanks

Newbie Question - Upgrade | Reinstall

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

If there's nothing you need, I would install from scratch.  There were
some significant changes between 2.1.5 and 2.2.6, i.e. the file slice
code was introduced around 2.2 and the compatibility code was completely
depreciated out of the startup scripts in 2.2.6.  Many other scripts in
/etc have also changed.

- K.C.

Post by Michael Pee » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I have a dual boot system with Win95 & Free-BSD 2.1.5 operating and
> have recentely decided to upgrade to the 2.2.6 release. What is the
> best way of doing this, I have nothing on the BSD slice that I really
> need.

> What is the proper method of accomplishing this? If I do a complete
> reinstall will it wipe out everything that is there (I would actually
> prefer this)?.

> Thanks

My thoughts on the subject:
I do this on a portable box that I load the latest and greatest FreeBSD
stable on, like you there is nothing on it that I want to keep.  I have
also found this nice because I get to find all the new things in the new
versions, and get used to doing things the new way.

BTW, I have upgraded on production boxes, but to me it wasn't worth it
if I could avoid it anyways, you don't get some of the new
configurations.

1. Newbie Question 2: Reinstalling Printer Package Files

Hi,

I'm having problems installing printer packages for Solaris 8.  I have found
the named directories for them on the software CD 1 of 2, but when I try to
do a 'pkgadd -d' on files in those folders or their subfolders I get errors.
Am I going about it in the correct fashion?

In case your wondering, here is why I'm doing this.  I'm trying to
troubleshoot a problem with the lpstat hanging and using up too much CPU
cycles.  The reason it is probably doing this is because HP's JetDirect was
installed on a system that someone tried configuring printer through the
admintool.  JetDirect has already been removed but the symptoms remain.

Thanks for your help!

JSO

2. Looking for SA 1100

3. reinstalling xp on a dual boot (RH8.0) machine -- reinstalling grub?

4. man logrotate gives garbage

5. upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 without reinstalling?

6. appdefaults & xdm & olwm

7. Upgrading motherboard processor, need to reinstall?

8. glibc2.2 + glibc2.3

9. Upgrading motherboard/CPU - Need reinstall?

10. Upgrading Redhat to newer version instead of a reinstall

11. Solaris 9 upgrade/reinstall?

12. Solaris 2.4 reinstall vs upgrade (trashed my OS)

13. Reinstall OS after upgrade?