FreeBSD & NT & BootManager problems

Post by Hans Cathca » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

My friend is trying to install FreeBSD with WinNT on the same machine.
He has created 2 partitions, the first for FreeBSD 800mb, the second for
NT several gigs.

He has sucessfully installed FreeBSD, and NT, but whenever he installs
one it rewrites the BootManager and gets rid of the other systems prefs.

What should he do?  please reply by email, thank you.

Post by John Sta » Mon, 19 May 1997 04:00:00

>My friend is trying to install FreeBSD with WinNT on the same machine.
[...]
>He has sucessfully installed FreeBSD, and NT, but whenever he installs
>one it rewrites the BootManager and gets rid of the other systems prefs.
>What should he do?

1. Boot into FreeBSD.  Create a boot sector image file bootsect.bsd from
   the FreeBSD partition using dd.  E.g. for /dev/sd0a:

     dd if=/dev/rsd0a of=bootsect.bsd count=1

   bootsect.bsd will need to be placed in the NT boot partition.  If this
   is FAT, mount it under FreeBSD and copy bootsect.bsd onto it.  If NTFS,
   save bootsect.bsd onto a floppy so that it can be copied back under NT.

2. Boot into NT.  If the FreeBSD installation lost the NT boot manager,
   you need to use the NT Emergency repair disc to recover it.

3. Copy bootsect.bsd onto the NT boot partition if saved on a floppy in 1.

4. In the root directory of the NT partition will be a file boot.ini, which
   you must edit to add a boot menu entry for FreeBSD.  It will be read-
   only so use "attrib -r boot.ini" first and "attrib +r boot.ini" afterwards.
   Under the section [Operating systems] add a line like the following (the
   filename is your bootsect.bsd file, the text can be anything you like):

     c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD 2.2.1"

   The resulting boot.ini file will look similar to the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
;uncomment the next line to default to NT or the one after for FreeBSD
;default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
default=c:\bootsect.bsd
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos
c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD 2.2.1"

5. Reboot, and if you pick the FreeBSD entry in the boot menu it
   will boot FreeBSD.

Quote:> please reply by email, thank you.

You can read the group again to see any replies - they are posted there
so that they might help other people besides you.
--

Tel. Cambridge (01223) 573555         |   http://www.slugvine.demon.co.uk

1. PERL && mod_perl && FreeBSD && Apache

k, I don't know where this falls under or who I should be asking... but
here's my problem.

mod_perl port installed Perl modules in
'/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/Apache/' but didn't

have to rebuild the system perl components? the mod_perl? or is there a conf
file somewhere that I cannot find?

could 'mv' everything as well... but I would like to hear some other
opinions or options.

Thanks

2. FastEthernet Errors

3. EIDE & FreeBSD; Windows NT 3.51 & FreeBSD.

4. SUNWami Sun Authentication Management Infrastructure

6. RH5.1 : 'Signal 11' on tar,more,...

8. More than one IP address on one ethernet card?

9. 没有人用中文吗?

10. FreeBSD & WinNT + WIN95- Bootmanager doesn't recognise FreeBSD-HD

11. &&&&&& SUGGESTION ??? &&&&&&&&

12. FreeBSD & Y2K & NT

13. Hercules &&&&&& SVGA ?