support for AIC 7890 Adaptec U2W

Post by Bob Willc » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I have just received an Asus P2B-S motherboard with an Adaptec Ultra2
>Wide SCSI adapter on board. Unfortunately the aic0 driver of
>FreeBSD 2.2.6 doesn't  recognize it.  The chipset used
>by Adaptec is an AIC 7890 instead of the standard UW chip 7880.

>I don't think it's a motherboard problem because there is an Adaptec
>bios and all driver under win95 comes from Adaptec.

>So, is there a support for the 7890 planned or in beta release now? If
>yes, I'm very interested to
>test this driver.

Take a look at the CAM code snapshot at:

    ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/cam

It says that it supports the 789x chipsets.

--
Bob Willcox                        Advice would be more acceptable if it didn't

Austin, TX                                             -- Anonymous

Post by Dave Pasco » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Take a look at the CAM code snapshot at:
>     ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/cam
> It says that it supports the 789x chipsets.

Sounds good....I suppose this is the reason the installer doesn't see
my FW SCSI drives on a 789x-based controller?

What's the easiest way to get boot-strapped?  Install the CAM code on
an existing system and make a boot floppy from that system to use on
the 789x-based system?

Thanks,
-Dave

Post by Blaz Zup » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>What's the easiest way to get boot-strapped?  Install the CAM code on
>an existing system and make a boot floppy from that system to use on
>the 789x-based system?

This is one way. But I think someone built a CAM boot floppy somewhere. Search
throught the FreeBSD mailing list archives for something like "cam boot floppy"
and you will probably get a URL for it.

--

Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia