1. Slackware 3.4: FAT32, UMSDOS, Hang after Mounted Root
To noone's surprise I am having difficulty installing Linux. I am using
Slackware 3.4, trying to install using umsdos on a FAT32 drive.
Originally I was getting the error "VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:1c"
but after using fresh disks and switching to the FAT32 bootdisk (versus
bare.i) I have gotten much farther, but now the system seems to hang after
reading the root disk, with the message "VFS: Mounted root (minix
filesystem)" I would have guessed that this would be a successful message,
but am given no login prompt and I get no response to anything I type.
I have tried to read all the relevent HOWTO docs, including the (seemingly)
seperate UMSDOSHOWTO. I have tried to create the c:\LINUX\ folder because I
thought that it might be required before the installation, however that did
not help. I am a (obvious) UNIX newbie, wanting Linux to be able to test my
simple CGI/PERL scripts on my own machine. I have also given myself some
options, if there is no way to do what I am doing now:
1. It appears that Slackware has released a FAT32-UMSDOS installation
distribution which would (to me) obviously work, but at 33MB it is too large
for me to download, and I doubt wether I need all 33MB. Is there a
broken-down version of this .zip? Is there a way to download only the files
2. Although I would rather not, I may end up trying to create a Linux
partition. Will that help anything, or is FAT32 my problem?
I hope that someone who has done this can help, even pointing me to other
sources of information would be appreciated.
Here is a brief rundown of my system:
ASUS P2L97 motherboard
96MB RAM in SyncDRAM
3.2 GIG FAT32 Windows95 drive, 1 partition, IDE (33MB/sec version)
ADAPTEC 2940 SCSI Controller installed, no conected HDs, only SCSI external
2 PnP Cards: 33.6 Supra Modem, 16bit SounBlaster
ATI Expression 3D+
If I have left out any neccessary information, I will supply it. Thanks for
Nathan R Heagy
-- -- --
Building Quality Web Sites
2. What is needed to instal volmgt for a sparc station
3. updating Kernel 3.3 to 3.4
4. hosts.deny file Newbie Question
5. Anybody upgraded SP System from AIX4.3.3 and PSSP 3.2 to AIX5.1 and PSSP 3.4??
6. Need help setting up Exabyte TR-4 tape Drive
7. Slackware 3.3, Slackware 3.4, SC875, n_53c8xx.s bootdisk
8. TCP stream socket lockup problem
9. Upgrade Slackware 3.3 to 3.4
10. Slackware 3.4 == 3.3!
11. SMP freeces up after 6-14 days (3.3/3.4)
12. 3.4 is not as stable as 3.3
13. How to downgrade from 3.4 to 3.3