Samba Problem

Post by limeste » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:14:14

When my FreeBSD computer is hooked into my switch along with 2 W2K pro and 1
W2K server computers i get the following:

inetd[239]  .usr/local/sbin/nmbd [      ]  :exit status 0x100

What do i need to do to fix this?

Thanks

Samba Problem

Post by Mike Andre » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:52:38

: When my FreeBSD computer is hooked into my switch along with 2 W2K pro and 1
: W2K server computers i get the following:

: inetd[239]  .usr/local/sbin/nmbd [      ]  :exit status 0x100

: What do i need to do to fix this?

The first thing you need to do is find what's causing it. A good
place to start would be the traffic on your LAN. Try running
tcpdump on the FreeBSD box to capture the traffic it sends and
receives. You'll want to restrict it to smb/nmb packets, most
likely, and to turn on as much verbosity as you can stand.

It might be wise to capture it to a raw file (tcpdump -w <foo>),
and to run tcpdump again, reading that file (tcpdump -r <foo>),
to produce printable output.

Another thing to do is dig into the nmbd code to see what can
cause it to exit with status 0x100. If you've done a `make clean`
on that port, you may need to do another make, or at least a
`make fetch`, to pull the source down for inspection.

If you're running 4.3-STABLE, you may want to do a cvsup run and
make/build the world. If you're running 4.3-CURRENT, you probably
ought to. In both cases, you should be subscribed to the related
mailing list, and ought to ask about this problem there.

--
IT'S SO HOT IN OKLAHOMA THAT......
A sad Okie once prayed, "I wish it would rain - not so much for me,

1. Samba problems: Samba not in Network Neighborhood

I have (the latest) Samba installed and have two problems that I can't
seem to solve.

First, my setup: Machine 1 is linux/samba machine.  Machine 2 is Win
95 and Machine 3 is WfWG 3.11 with TCP/IP.  They connect with
ethernet.  All machines can ping each other and the other TCP stuff
works fine.

Machines 2 and 3 can mount each other's drives and printers fine.
Machine 2 can mount the Samba shares but only after I run the "Find
Computer" tool.  It doesn't appear in the Network Neighborhood with
the other machines.

I used smbclient to verify that Machine 1 can mount look at the shares
on all three machines and the Workgroup name is the same.

I was able to drag a shortcut into network neightborhood but that's
not the same as actually being there.

A possibly related problem is machine 3, the Win 3.11 one, cannot see
the samba shares at all.  The server doesn't appear.

Is there some Samba option that I don't have enabled?  With the Win 95
machine it's only annoying not having it in the Neighborhood but it is
entirely unusable from machine 3.  This I really need to fix.

BTW: One further problem I haven't looked at too closely: All the
mounted shares are done as "pcguest" and not as the username logged in
to win 95.  I have the same username/password on both machines.  Is
there a Win 95 option somewhere I need to change?

thanks, jv

    Graphics                "Purveyors to the Froup"

2. ifup/ifdown script oddity

3. Samba- Problem: path too long/ cvs- Problem: cvs import stucks

4. CPUfreq

5. Very strange Samba problem - please advise

6. How do I switch between KDE and GNOME?

7. samba problem - only root can write - TIA

8. 2.2 -> 2.4 kernel driver port

9. samba problem

10. Samba Problem

11. Samba problem...