Install - what am i doing wrong?

Post by Bernie » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:59:37

Trying to installing freeBSD v4.6, when I reboot it comes up with "missing
operating system".

Info ...

No IRQ/memory conflicts are left unresolved.  I start with a couple due to
both NICs having the same IRQ.

ata0 uses IRQ 14 & io 0x1F0
ata1 uses IRQ 15 & io 0x170

FDisk partitioning looks like:
da0 use entire disk.  The one slice of sub-type 165 is known as da0s1 and is
flagged C
da1 use entire disk.  The one slice of sub-type 165 is known as da1s1 and is
flagged C

freeBSD partitioning looks like:
part      mount     size          Newfs   Part
da0s1a    /          150MB    UFS        Y
da0s1b   swap    128MB    SWAP
da0s1e   /usr       1769MB  UFS        Y
da1s1b   swap    256MB    SWAP
da0s1e   /tmp      200MB   UFS        Y
da0s1f    /var      1607MB  UFS        Y

I'm now choosing a "user" install, to keep it simple from ...
ftp://ftp2.au.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE/

Everything seems to download ok and I'm congratulated for having chosen BSD
as an operating system.  I then skip through other "post -install" config
options to do with NFS, FTP etc. but then an error message appears ...
"Unable to get packages /INDEX file from selected media."

I am able to continue and add a user account which I make a member of the
"wheel" group and I set a root password.

I'm then taken back to the "stand/sysinstall" main menu which I exit and the
system reboots ... into "missing operating system".  I insert the floppy
containing "kern.flp", reboot, and start over again, and again, and again

Any help appreciated.

BernieM

Install - what am i doing wrong?

Post by Dorsa » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:33:47

produced:

Quote:> Trying to installing freeBSD v4.6, when I reboot it comes up with
> "missing operating system".

> Info ...

> No IRQ/memory conflicts are left unresolved.  I start with a
> couple due to both NICs having the same IRQ.

> ata0 uses IRQ 14 & io 0x1F0
> ata1 uses IRQ 15 & io 0x170

> FDisk partitioning looks like:
> da0 use entire disk.  The one slice of sub-type 165 is known as
> da0s1 and is flagged C
> da1 use entire disk.  The one slice of sub-type 165 is known as
> da1s1 and is flagged C

> freeBSD partitioning looks like:
> part      mount     size          Newfs   Part
> da0s1a    /          150MB    UFS        Y
> da0s1b   swap    128MB    SWAP
> da0s1e   /usr       1769MB  UFS        Y
> da1s1b   swap    256MB    SWAP
> da0s1e   /tmp      200MB   UFS        Y
> da0s1f    /var      1607MB  UFS        Y

> I'm now choosing a "user" install, to keep it simple from ...
> ftp://ftp2.au.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE/

> Everything seems to download ok and I'm congratulated for having
> chosen BSD as an operating system.  I then skip through other
> "post -install" config options to do with NFS, FTP etc. but then
> an error message appears ... "Unable to get packages /INDEX file
> from selected media."

> I am able to continue and add a user account which I make a member
> of the "wheel" group and I set a root password.

> I'm then taken back to the "stand/sysinstall" main menu which I
> exit and the system reboots ... into "missing operating system".
> I insert the floppy containing "kern.flp", reboot, and start over
> again, and again, and again ...

> Any help appreciated.

It might just be me, but it looks like you didn't set the first hard
drive (da0) as bootable. I *think* you can fix this by going back
through /stand/sysinstall.

Dorsai

--
******************************

Stupidity is NOT a survival mechanism.

******************************

Post by Bernie » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:57:06

> produced:

> > Trying to installing freeBSD v4.6, when I reboot it comes up with
> > "missing operating system".

> > Info ...

> > No IRQ/memory conflicts are left unresolved.  I start with a
> > couple due to both NICs having the same IRQ.

> > ata0 uses IRQ 14 & io 0x1F0
> > ata1 uses IRQ 15 & io 0x170

> > FDisk partitioning looks like:
> > da0 use entire disk.  The one slice of sub-type 165 is known as
> > da0s1 and is flagged C
> > da1 use entire disk.  The one slice of sub-type 165 is known as
> > da1s1 and is flagged C

> > freeBSD partitioning looks like:
> > part      mount     size          Newfs   Part
> > da0s1a    /          150MB    UFS        Y
> > da0s1b   swap    128MB    SWAP
> > da0s1e   /usr       1769MB  UFS        Y
> > da1s1b   swap    256MB    SWAP
> > da0s1e   /tmp      200MB   UFS        Y
> > da0s1f    /var      1607MB  UFS        Y

> > I'm now choosing a "user" install, to keep it simple from ...
> > ftp://ftp2.au.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE/

> > Everything seems to download ok and I'm congratulated for having
> > chosen BSD as an operating system.  I then skip through other
> > "post -install" config options to do with NFS, FTP etc. but then
> > an error message appears ... "Unable to get packages /INDEX file
> > from selected media."

> > I am able to continue and add a user account which I make a member
> > of the "wheel" group and I set a root password.

> > I'm then taken back to the "stand/sysinstall" main menu which I
> > exit and the system reboots ... into "missing operating system".
> > I insert the floppy containing "kern.flp", reboot, and start over
> > again, and again, and again ...

> > Any help appreciated.

> It might just be me, but it looks like you didn't set the first hard
> drive (da0) as bootable. I *think* you can fix this by going back
> through /stand/sysinstall.

> Dorsai

Thanks for the help.  I have been setting the disk to bootable but did a
typo with my post.  Double checked the last install though by going back
into the menu and, yes, da0 was flagged as bootable.

BernieM

Install - what am i doing wrong?

Post by Loki » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:57:54

On 7/24/02 1:59 AM, in article

> Trying to installing freeBSD v4.6, when I reboot it comes up with "missing
> operating system".

Missing operating system is a BIOS error. It probably means that the boot
record was not written to your hard drive.

Is there a virus detection feature in your BIOS? If yes, turn it off. Most
modern BIOSes have this feature. It will stop programs (which are usually
viruses) from writing to your boot sector (as that is where a lot of viruses
like to live). Unfortunately, operating systems need to write to this sector
to complete the install.

You can turn on virus detection again once you have FreeBSD installed and
working.
--
On Persona, and the Differences to One's Mundane Being:

If I'm wearing glasses, I'm David. If I'm not wearing glasses and am awake,
I am probably Cariadoc. Cariadoc lives in a different world than David.
Fuzzier.

Post by Bernie » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:26:20

> On 7/24/02 1:59 AM, in article

> > Trying to installing freeBSD v4.6, when I reboot it comes up with
"missing
> > operating system".

> Missing operating system is a BIOS error. It probably means that the boot
> record was not written to your hard drive.

> Is there a virus detection feature in your BIOS? If yes, turn it off. Most
> modern BIOSes have this feature. It will stop programs (which are usually
> viruses) from writing to your boot sector (as that is where a lot of
viruses
> like to live). Unfortunately, operating systems need to write to this
sector
> to complete the install.

> You can turn on virus detection again once you have FreeBSD installed and
> working.
> --
> On Persona, and the Differences to One's Mundane Being:

> If I'm wearing glasses, I'm David. If I'm not wearing glasses and am
awake,
> I am probably Cariadoc. Cariadoc lives in a different world than David.
> Fuzzier.

Thanks Loki, but "virus warning" was disabled in the BIOS.

Although I've tried many combinations, do you know if specific mount points
MUST be one the *bootable* drive?

BernieM

Install - what am i doing wrong?

Post by Kyle Cran » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:33:45

Quote:> Thanks Loki, but "virus warning" was disabled in the BIOS.

> Although I've tried many combinations, do you know if specific mount
points
> MUST be one the *bootable* drive?

> BernieM

The "/" partition must be on the disk marked as bootable I'm pretty sure.
Have you tried installing the FreeBSD boot manager?  I know I had a system
that would not boot straight to FreeBSD, but when I installed the boot
manager, it seemed to like that better.  Another wierd thing to try...

If you have a Win2000 or XP cd, place that in the CD-Drive and reboot.  Once
it reads the CD It will prompt you to "press any key to boot from CD".  Let
that time out, it should then try to boot from the disk, and it may well
work.  I had a problem like this with OpenBSD once, something with the first
stage boot-loader IIRC.

Good luck getting it going.

Kyle

Install - what am i doing wrong?

Post by Bruce Burd » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:52:11

: ata0 uses IRQ 14 & io 0x1F0
: ata1 uses IRQ 15 & io 0x170
:
: freeBSD partitioning looks like:
: part      mount     size          Newfs   Part
: da0s1a    /          150MB    UFS        Y
: da0s1b   swap    128MB    SWAP
: da0s1e   /usr       1769MB  UFS        Y
: da1s1b   swap    256MB    SWAP
: da0s1e   /tmp      200MB   UFS        Y
: da0s1f    /var      1607MB  UFS        Y
:
        Ummm, "da" indicated a SCSI disk. "ad" indicates an ATA
    disk drive.

        Do you have both SCSI and ATA disks, and perhaps not told
    the BIOS to boot off of the SCSI drive?

                                                        Bruce
  "I like bad!"                         Bruce Burden    Austin, TX.
        - Thuganlitha
        The Power and the Prophet
        Robert Don Hughes

Post by Bernie » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:53:15

Quote:

> > Thanks Loki, but "virus warning" was disabled in the BIOS.

> > Although I've tried many combinations, do you know if specific mount
> points
> > MUST be one the *bootable* drive?

> > BernieM

> The "/" partition must be on the disk marked as bootable I'm pretty sure.
> Have you tried installing the FreeBSD boot manager?  I know I had a system
> that would not boot straight to FreeBSD, but when I installed the boot
> manager, it seemed to like that better.  Another wierd thing to try...

> If you have a Win2000 or XP cd, place that in the CD-Drive and reboot.
Once
> it reads the CD It will prompt you to "press any key to boot from CD".
Let
> that time out, it should then try to boot from the disk, and it may well
> work.  I had a problem like this with OpenBSD once, something with the
first
> stage boot-loader IIRC.

> Good luck getting it going.

> Kyle

Thanks for the try Kyle but it timed out and told me ... "Missing operating
system" .

BernieM

1. RedHat 5.2 Install.. What am I doing wrong?

I am a complete newbie to Linux and bought the RedHat 5.2 setup from
LSL.  Here is what I have done so far..

I have a 6 gig WD EIDE drive running Win98 on an Intel 233mmx based
system.

1.  I used Partition Magic to create some Free (UnPartioned) disk
space.  I left 750 meg of free space ahead of my Primary Partition.
Then I start the install process of RedHat.  I initially went for the
custom Install option over the Workstation or server. For some reason
I could only get 2 Linux partitions to exist at one time on the
primary.  I could get any combination of 2 - the /, /usr, or swap
partitions.  When I went for the 3rd it would always report out not
enough primary space available regardless of how much was actually
free...

2.   So, I figure that it must be a limitation of partions numbers on
the primary..  I go back to Partion Magic and reconfigure again.. This
time I set 225 megs of Unassigned space before my C: drive and 1 gig
of unassigned space ahead of my D: drive in my Extended partition.  My
plan was to assign 100 meg to the / partition and 125 to the swap
partition on primary and then use 800 meg for /usr and 200 meg for
/home on my extended partition.

Doing step 2 allowed me to move further into the install process.. Up
to the point that it was setting up ext2 on hda10 in my extended
partition free space.  It got an error that it was unable to mount the
drive.

3.  I cleaned up the partion table again and went for the Workstation
install.  I got the exact same results as in step 2.

After all three instances I had to boot Windows back up and run Norton
Disk Doctor to recover my partitions.   Then go back into Partition
Magic to clean things back up again.  I did lose all the data on my
old D: but that doesn't matter.

Would I be better off putting a second hard drive in?  I have a 1gig
hard drive laying around if it will help..  Could there be an issue
with LBA mode?  I really feel at a loss.  I have installed plenty of
DOS/Windows, Win95 /Win98, WinNT Server, and even ran OS/2 Warp and
never had this much difficulty install to a hard drive..

Please Help!!!

2. Stable combination Apache & Linux

3. Dual Homed Linux - what am I doing wrong?

4. Linux vs Sony

5. Am I doing something wrong?? - (SAMBA)

6. How do I determine the port number for a connection?

7. One more question - What am I doing wrong?

8. Serial Line

9. KNode (No Caching) - What am I doing no wrong

10. gethostbyname misbehavior - what am i doing wrong.

11. What am I doing wrong?????

12. Ip-Masquerade and games over the net...what am I doing wrong????????

13. What I am doing wrong?