Recommendations (for 10BT ethernet and RAM) needed.

Recommendations (for 10BT ethernet and RAM) needed.

Post by Leonard Ch » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I am looking into setting up a web server (primarily). The machine
configuration will probably be a P100 with 32 Mbytes of RAM, 1.2
Gbytes EIDE (I will upgrade to SCSI later) and of course, freeBSD as
the OS. I currently have a SMC Elite+ (ISA WD8013C).
From browsing through the newsgroups, I have some concerns:

1) Will 32 Mb of RAM (with adequate amount of swap) be enough?

2) I need to keep the CPU overhead for the ethernet card as low as
possible. Is my SMC enough for this or should I upgrade now? I
understand the DEC 21x40 series is highly respected. What vendors'
cards would be using such chips? (or any other recommendations that
you may have)

I have been playing with Linux for a number of years now, but for my
purposes now, I'm leaning towards freeBSD for it's stability and
security.

Thanks in advance.
Len.

Post by Ken Bigelo » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, I am looking into setting up a web server (primarily). The machine
> configuration will probably be a P100 with 32 Mbytes of RAM, 1.2
> Gbytes EIDE (I will upgrade to SCSI later) and of course, freeBSD as
> the OS. I currently have a SMC Elite+ (ISA WD8013C).
> From browsing through the newsgroups, I have some concerns:

> 1) Will 32 Mb of RAM (with adequate amount of swap) be enough?

> 2) I need to keep the CPU overhead for the ethernet card as low as
> possible. Is my SMC enough for this or should I upgrade now? I
> understand the DEC 21x40 series is highly respected. What vendors'
> cards would be using such chips? (or any other recommendations that
> you may have)

My sit is up and running with a bit less than you describe. It is
currently on a '486DX50 with 32 MB RAM and a 1.6 GB Western Digital HD
(Caviar series EIDE). My ISP connection is a dedicated 28.8 dial-up, and
the net card for my home network is an NE2100 in this one machine. All
other boxes in my home network (8 of them) use generic NE2000 cards.

So far, it's working fine as long as the telco or my ISP don't drop my
connection!

So go ahead and start with what you have. It should work OK, and you can
upgrade later.

Ken

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> 1) Will 32 Mb of RAM (with adequate amount of swap) be enough?

I think so, but it rather depends on the number of HTTP daemons you
need to run simultaneously, and the amount of CGI scripts that might
consume memory.

Quote:> 2) I need to keep the CPU overhead for the ethernet card as low as
> possible. Is my SMC enough for this or should I upgrade now? I

No need to upgrade unless you first kill your IDE drives. :) They are
the worst offenders regarding CPU abuse.  The SMC oldies are rather
well-performing since they use shared memory (as opposed to PIO).

Quote:> understand the DEC 21x40 series is highly respected. What vendors'
> cards would be using such chips? (or any other recommendations that
> you may have)

DEC itself makes them, and at least SMC and Cogent.  There are most
likely more that i don't know of.

--
cheers, J"org

Recommendations (for 10BT ethernet and RAM) needed.

Post by Steinar Ha » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[J Wunsch]

|   > understand the DEC 21x40 series is highly respected. What vendors'
|   > cards would be using such chips? (or any other recommendations that
|   > you may have)
|
|   DEC itself makes them, and at least SMC and Cogent.  There are most
|   likely more that i don't know of.

I once made a list of all the 21x40 cards I could find. The manufacturers
don't always tell you what chip is used, so no guarantee that this is correct.

DEC        http://www.networks.digital.com:80/html/ethernet-adapters.html
SMC        http://www.smc.com/fe/fe.html
ZNYX            znyx.com
D-Link     http://www.dlink.com/prodspec/dfe500tx/500txsls.html
Cogent     http://www.cogent.com/products/index.html
Compex          compex.com
Danpex     http://www.danpex.com/product/prepci.htm
Maxtech    http://www.maxcorp.com/product/inde18.htm

Both Thomas-Conrad and Networth used to make 21x40 based cards. They have
both been acquired by Compaq (wholly owned subsidiaries, according to the
Compaq web pages). The Compaq web pages haven't been properly updated yet,
but you *should* be able to find out more starting at

           http://www.compaq.com/productinfo/systems/products/ipg/index.html

(Yes, I'm a satisfied user of 21x40 cards myself. I have one SMC Etherpower,
and two Etherpower 10/100. They work very well. Cudos to Matt Thomas who
wrote the if_de driver!)

1. PCMCIA 10B2/10BT/100BTX recommendation?

Hi!

I'm trying to build a network of laptops, and I want to use Linux (RedHat 5.2)

as my OS.  The problem is that this particular project requires maximum
flexibility, which means that the PCMCIA Ethernet card has to support 10Base2
(thin-net) 10BaseT, and 100BaseTX....So far, I've seen cards that will do the
10/100 thing, but I haven't seen any that also include the BNC connector for
10Base2 connectivity.

Can anybody help with a recommendation?

Thanks!

BENJAMIN J. WEISS                   | 1. f2-f4   e7-e5
2LT, SC                             | 2. g2-g4   d8-h4
HHC, 1/179 INF                      | checkmate!
Communications/Electronics Officer

2. Xfree and CL 6440

3. PCMCIA 100BTX/10BT/10B2 card recommendation?

4. Entry level question for awk, plz help

5. Need Fast Ethernet Card recommendation

6. Internet Network Administrator/SA Wanted - NYC

7. Need Recommendation for ISA or PCI Ethernet Card for x86

8. Pseudo TTY's

9. Need Ethernet card recommendations

10. Need recommendation for SBus Ethernet card

11. ISC V3 3.0: ethernet cards, need recommendation

12. 10Base-T Ethernet card recommendations needed

13. Need recommendation of ethernet card