. Confused by PPP dial, redial, reconnect parameters.

. Confused by PPP dial, redial, reconnect parameters.

Post by David Ma » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have a minor but annoying problem with my user ppp configuration
(ijppp).

My ISP has a rule that if my connection is dropped, to allow other users
to connect, I am not allowed to reconnect for at least 15 minutes. If I
reconnect before 15 minutes have elapsed the connection is dropped
again immediately and I am penalized by not being allowed to reconnect
for another 20 minutes, and so on.

How can I set my ppp.conf parameters to follow this rule?  I.e. do not
attempt to reconnect for 15 minutes if the remote closes the
connection. I have tried fiddling with dial, redial, reconnect settings
to no avail and only managed to make things worse. Probably due to my
misunderstanding of the man page for ppp.

The version of ppp I am using is the one on the FreeBSD 2.2.6 CD-ROM.

Post by Kenneth Furg » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I have a minor but annoying problem with my user ppp configuration
> (ijppp).

> My ISP has a rule that if my connection is dropped, to allow other users
> to connect, I am not allowed to reconnect for at least 15 minutes. If I
> reconnect before 15 minutes have elapsed the connection is dropped
> again immediately and I am penalized by not being allowed to reconnect
> for another 20 minutes, and so on.

I would try "set redial 930 4".  If this policy also is in effect on
spontaneous loss of carrier, you should also probably have a "set
reconnect 930 4".  This will cause ppp to wait 15 minutes + 30 seconds
(in case someone isn't keeping accurate time) between retrys and then
retry up to 4 times.

If I may add a little editorial, I think this is *really bad* ISP
policy.  Sounds like they don't want to add more modems to their
system.  Not a very customer oriented organization, IMHO.

- K.C.

. Confused by PPP dial, redial, reconnect parameters.

Post by Mark S. Reichm » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The answer to this question is get another ISP. Dont give
them the satisfaction of modifying your ppp.conf.
Oh... Sorry... You will have to change something...
The phone number and the ifaddr line.. Hehe..

says...

>> I have a minor but annoying problem with my user ppp configuration
>> (ijppp).

>> My ISP has a rule that if my connection is dropped, to allow other users
>> to connect, I am not allowed to reconnect for at least 15 minutes. If I
>> reconnect before 15 minutes have elapsed the connection is dropped
>> again immediately and I am penalized by not being allowed to reconnect
>> for another 20 minutes, and so on.

>I would try "set redial 930 4".  If this policy also is in effect on
>spontaneous loss of carrier, you should also probably have a "set
>reconnect 930 4".  This will cause ppp to wait 15 minutes + 30 seconds
>(in case someone isn't keeping accurate time) between retrys and then
>retry up to 4 times.

>If I may add a little editorial, I think this is *really bad* ISP
>policy.  Sounds like they don't want to add more modems to their
>system.  Not a very customer oriented organization, IMHO.

>- K.C.

. Confused by PPP dial, redial, reconnect parameters.

Post by Andrew M » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

That's a first in rules for me!  I have a similar problem with my ISP,
however there is no penalty-box time out.  I use "reconnect" to re-establish
a connection in 5 seconds!  My ppp.conf file has the following rule:

    set reconnect 5 20

which means:  in the event of a line drop, attempt to reconnect again in 5
"seconds".  Keep trying until you get a connection and give up after 20
tries.

Since the time parameter is in seconds, you could use (I assume) 15 * 60 (or
900 seconds) to give you your 15 minutes to reconnect.

The ppp "redial" option is to establish a connection initially.  If the
initial connection fails there is a 30 second default timeout before ppp
tries again.  You can modify this behaviour using "set redial <seconds>
<tries>"

Hope that this helps.

andrew.

>I have a minor but annoying problem with my user ppp configuration
>(ijppp).

>My ISP has a rule that if my connection is dropped, to allow other users
>to connect, I am not allowed to reconnect for at least 15 minutes. If I
>reconnect before 15 minutes have elapsed the connection is dropped
>again immediately and I am penalized by not being allowed to reconnect
>for another 20 minutes, and so on.

>How can I set my ppp.conf parameters to follow this rule?  I.e. do not
>attempt to reconnect for 15 minutes if the remote closes the
>connection.

   <SNIP>

. Confused by PPP dial, redial, reconnect parameters.

Post by David Ma » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the responses. I would just like to point out to those
who suggested changing my ISP - it's a university not a commercial
ISP. I doubt any commercial ISP (at least in this country) is likely to
offer the low rate I pay as a member of the University Graduates
Society.

Post by Liam D. Redmon » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>My ISP has a rule that if my connection is dropped, to allow other users
>to connect, I am not allowed to reconnect for at least 15 minutes. If I

This may  not seem very helpful, but change your provider or complain
about the rule or ask them to provide you with the relevant information
after all your paying them.

Liam.