Help a newbie upgrade to Gnome 2

Post by jo » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 23:02:18

I inadvertantly (the word for I F****d Up) installed gnome 1.4.?
through ports on my fresh install of 4.6.2. I want to try gnome2. What
is the best way to delete the unnecessary parts(ports?) of gnome 1.4.
And then do I need to do a 'meta' install of gnome2 or just selected
ports.

Thanks for helping.

Joe

Post by Kirill Ponomare » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 23:17:03

Quote:> I inadvertantly (the word for I F****d Up) installed gnome 1.4.?
> through ports on my fresh install of 4.6.2. I want to try gnome2. What
> is the best way to delete the unnecessary parts(ports?) of gnome 1.4.
> And then do I need to do a 'meta' install of gnome2 or just selected
> ports.

/usr/port/sysutils/portupgrade

Kirill

Post by ne.. » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:41:02

>> I inadvertantly (the word for I F****d Up) installed gnome 1.4.?
>> through ports on my fresh install of 4.6.2. I want to try gnome2. What
>> is the best way to delete the unnecessary parts(ports?) of gnome 1.4.
>> And then do I need to do a 'meta' install of gnome2 or just selected
>> ports.

> /usr/port/sysutils/portupgrade

On Linux, gnome and gnome2 can coexist happily on a system.
Without any evidence to back this up I claim this might be
so on a FreeBSD system. If I am correct then all you need do
is got to /usr/ports/<wherever gnome2 is> and do a 'make all
install clean'. I assume you are on the 'net' when you do this.

Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

Help a newbie upgrade to Gnome 2

Post by Simon Barne » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:07:14

Quote:> On Linux, gnome and gnome2 can coexist happily on a system.

AFAIR yes. See http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/ for details.

Simon