Qmail Server Installation Problems

Post by Vanb » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have given up on sendmail as I got too many responses telling me
problems to expect with it, so I am trying qmail with maildir now.

Anyway, I just installed qmail, and I am having problems getting pop3
working
with it.  I installed checkpassword, and tcpserver, and I am launching
both SMTP
and POP3 via tcpserver.  Tcpserver is in /bin as is checkpassword.

This is how  I am launching it in /etc/rc:

#qmail-popup startup
tcpserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup 192.168.0.2 \
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

#qmail-smptd startup
tcpserver -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -v -u 82 -g 1000 0 smtp
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &

I seem to be able to send mail through the smtp gateway fine, but when I
goto check mail I just get "Enter username and password" over and over
again.

If do the test that it says in the INSTALL for checkpass

/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup host /bin/checkpassword pwd

user (username)
+OK
pass (password)
/usr/home/(username)

So it seems to work there, just not through qmail-popup (like
qmail-popup is not relaying the user and pass correctly...)

Thanks in adv.
--
VANBO

Also, I am going to move the computer to a public IP as soon as I get it
working privately here, but I won't have a domainname, until I can prove
that the box is stable and ready for migration.  What do I need to do so
that it will work on IP only (ie can I just have people send mail to

with a domainname?)

Qmail Server Installation Problems

Post by Raymond Doetje » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Than I tell you to drop QMail and go for PostFix.
PostFix is easier to install very very secure and fast. But more important
PostFIx is Sendmail compliant unlike QMail.
Alot of programs rely on having the sendmail binary around and with QMail
you still use the old sendmail package or you get errors. PostFix creates
it's own sendmail program and other daemons to handle email

Raymond

> I have given up on sendmail as I got too many responses telling me
> problems to expect with it, so I am trying qmail with maildir now.

> Anyway, I just installed qmail, and I am having problems getting pop3
> working
> with it.  I installed checkpassword, and tcpserver, and I am launching
> both SMTP
> and POP3 via tcpserver.  Tcpserver is in /bin as is checkpassword.

> This is how  I am launching it in /etc/rc:

> #qmail-popup startup
> tcpserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup 192.168.0.2 \
> /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

> #qmail-smptd startup
> tcpserver -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -v -u 82 -g 1000 0 smtp
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
> 2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &

> I seem to be able to send mail through the smtp gateway fine, but when I
> goto check mail I just get "Enter username and password" over and over
> again.

> If do the test that it says in the INSTALL for checkpass

> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup host /bin/checkpassword pwd

> user (username)
> +OK
> pass (password)
> /usr/home/(username)

> So it seems to work there, just not through qmail-popup (like
> qmail-popup is not relaying the user and pass correctly...)

> Thanks in adv.
> --
> VANBO

> Also, I am going to move the computer to a public IP as soon as I get it
> working privately here, but I won't have a domainname, until I can prove
> that the box is stable and ready for migration.  What do I need to do so
> that it will work on IP only (ie can I just have people send mail to

> with a domainname?)

Qmail Server Installation Problems

Post by Vanb » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

What other programs?  The box is a pop3 server only.  I am not going to
have people logging in and shelling anything, so I don't care as long as
sendmail does pop right.

--
VANBO

> Than I tell you to drop QMail and go for PostFix.
> PostFix is easier to install very very secure and fast. But more
important
> PostFIx is Sendmail compliant unlike QMail.
> Alot of programs rely on having the sendmail binary around and with
QMail
> you still use the old sendmail package or you get errors. PostFix
creates
> it's own sendmail program and other daemons to handle email

> Raymond

> > I have given up on sendmail as I got too many responses telling me
> > problems to expect with it, so I am trying qmail with maildir now.

> > Anyway, I just installed qmail, and I am having problems getting
pop3
> > working
> > with it.  I installed checkpassword, and tcpserver, and I am
launching
> > both SMTP
> > and POP3 via tcpserver.  Tcpserver is in /bin as is checkpassword.

> > This is how  I am launching it in /etc/rc:

> > #qmail-popup startup
> > tcpserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup 192.168.0.2 \
> > /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

> > #qmail-smptd startup
> > tcpserver -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -v -u 82 -g 1000 0 smtp
> > /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
> > 2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &

> > I seem to be able to send mail through the smtp gateway fine, but
when I
> > goto check mail I just get "Enter username and password" over and
over
> > again.

> > If do the test that it says in the INSTALL for checkpass

> > /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup host /bin/checkpassword pwd

> > user (username)
> > +OK
> > pass (password)
> > /usr/home/(username)

> > So it seems to work there, just not through qmail-popup (like
> > qmail-popup is not relaying the user and pass correctly...)

> > Thanks in adv.
> > --
> > VANBO

> > Also, I am going to move the computer to a public IP as soon as I
get it
> > working privately here, but I won't have a domainname, until I can
prove
> > that the box is stable and ready for migration.  What do I need to
do so
> > that it will work on IP only (ie can I just have people send mail to

like
> > with a domainname?)

Qmail Server Installation Problems

Post by Miguel Cr » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Than I tell you to drop QMail and go for PostFix.
> PostFix is easier to install very very secure and fast. But more important
> PostFIx is Sendmail compliant unlike QMail.
> Alot of programs rely on having the sendmail binary around and with QMail
> you still use the old sendmail package or you get errors.

Like what? Qmail provides a binary named 'sendmail' that accepts mail just
the same.

miguel

1. qmail installation problem

I am novice to qmail and also linux. I have loaded qmail as per the
directives in Life with qmail. After loading I was able to send a
local test mail. After that I wanted to reboot the machine which I am
unable to do When I am booting I am getting the following messges
constantly-
supervise:fatal:unable to start log/run : exec format error
supervise:fatal:unable to start log/run : exec format error
supervise:fatal:unable to start qmail-smtpd/run : exec format error
These 3 lines are occuring in a loop
Please help
Regards
Chaitali

2. minicom setup

3. qmail installation problem...

4. TCP_NODELAY

5. qmail installation problem, msgs stuck in queue, help!

6. Konqueror stops working after KDE2.1 upgrade

7. qmail installation problem

8. (Adv Q) Get the first file name of a series of them

9. qmail and qmail+MRTG How-Tos

10. qmail help: how do i use qmail-pw2u????

11. qmail installation

12. QMail installation

13. Installation of Qmail-scanner 0.96