Extracting files from multivolume tar archive made with SCO tar

Extracting files from multivolume tar archive made with SCO tar

Post by Michael Gre » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:47:47

I made a multivolume tar archive on SCO OpenServer. I tried to extract
on FBSD 4.7 using the command line:
#tar xvMf /dev/fd0
on each disk, but the files were truncated.
Any advice on restoring? Thanks.

Post by Michael Gre » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 02:48:13

> I made a multivolume tar archive on SCO OpenServer. I tried to extract
> on FBSD 4.7 using the command line:
> #tar xvMf /dev/fd0
> on each disk, but the files were truncated.
> Any advice on restoring? Thanks.

Or if that can't be done,then what alternatives should I consider?
Gtar? GZip? Thanks again.

Post by Lowell Gilber » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 03:45:37

> > I made a multivolume tar archive on SCO OpenServer. I tried to extract
> > on FBSD 4.7 using the command line:
> > #tar xvMf /dev/fd0
> > on each disk, but the files were truncated.
> > Any advice on restoring? Thanks.

> Or if that can't be done,then what alternatives should I consider?
> Gtar? GZip? Thanks again.

Gnu tar would work; the version that comes with FreeBSD branched from
the Gnu version quite a while back, but you could always build gtar
from ports if it were a problem (building it on the SCO machine is
probably going to be the more key issue).

You could always use split(1) to break up the archive to spread it
across multiple disks; then you would have an easier time dealing with
the archive format itself.

Post by Brian K. Whi » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:06:56

> > I made a multivolume tar archive on SCO OpenServer. I tried to extract
> > on FBSD 4.7 using the command line:
> > #tar xvMf /dev/fd0
> > on each disk, but the files were truncated.
> > Any advice on restoring? Thanks.

> Or if that can't be done,then what alternatives should I consider?
> Gtar? GZip? Thanks again.

http://www.aljex.com/bkw/linux/index.html#scotar

1. Extracting files with tar and uncompress fails with tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary

Hi,

Two(2) tared then compressed files were created using the following in
a directory where there are a few hundred files on a Sun Solaris 2.6
server:

tar -cvf - [a-k]* 2> /tq03/backup/backup_$dd/data_ltoz.log$dd | \
  compress -cf > /tq03/backup/backup_$dd/data_ltoz_$dd.$SID.Z

tar -cvf - [l-z]* 2> /tq03/backup/backup_$dd/data_ltoz.log$dd | \
  compress -cf > /tq03/backup/backup_$dd/data_ltoz_$dd.$SID.Z

I run the following commands to extract the files on a different
server (still Solaris 2.6) in a different directory than the files are
from:

uncompress -cf /tq01/clone_source/oradata/data_atok_020202.prod.Z |
tar xvf –

uncompress -cf /tq01/clone_source/oradata/data_ltoz_020202.prod.Z |
tar xvf –

The first is successfully extracted but during the 2nd extract of the
following error is returned:

Several files successfully extracted…
system01.dbf
system02.dbf
system03.dbf
system04.dbf
tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary
erpdev:/tq01/test/testdata$

Does anyone have any ideas on how to extract the files?  I am thinking
data_ltoz_020202.prod.Z is corrupt, hope not but have not found
another reason for the error.  Ran tar tzvf data_ltoz_020202.prod.Z
and get the same error.

TIA,
Tad Stephens

2. nanosleep(), got it

3. using a list file to extract files from a tar archive

4. <for in> and file regular expression

5. using tar command to extract tarred files

6. 2 * ulnTahKJP-/tmp file system problem

7. Can tar add files to .tar.gz archives ?

8. pkzip on unix

9. extract single file from tar gz archive

10. extracting files from a tar archive

11. tar: extracting files from multiple archives

12. Extracting a single file from a tar archive

13. Extract file from tar archives