dumpon operation not supported by device???

dumpon operation not supported by device???

Post by guru » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

i format new HDD to use SWAP partiotion
and.. edit /etc/fstab...
so... when i reboot, it seems... sd2s1 is succesfully used as a swap
device
and i edit /etc/rc.conf
dumpdev = "sd2s1"
but...
when i execute dumpon /dev/sd2s1
dumpon : sysctl : kern.dumpdev : Operation not supported by device..

i check... LINT file.. and man dumpon, man sysctl
but i can't find how i can enable dumpon command...

plz comment about it.

--
---------------------------------
ChoiYoungSoo

---------------------------------

1. Dummy device - SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device

Hello everyone ...

I'm new to Linux, and reading through the NAG (Network Administrators
Guide), it seemed like the "dummy" net device  was a nice thing to have. I
can't however seem to get it working. The command:

  ifconfig dummy 195.173.235.70 up

which the NAG advices, reports "SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by
device" (also without the "up" by the way).

I run the RedHat 5.1 distribution, and have upgraded my kernel to 2.0.36.
The dummy net device is compiled as a module, and *does* get loaded (lsmod
shows it for a certain amount of time after the above command)

What am I doing wrong?

By the way, that same lsmod also *allways* shows the serial modules being
loaded, with a usage count of 1, even when I am unaware that anything is
using it. Is it allways used? Anf if yes, should I compile it into the
kernel directly?

Many thanks in advance...

PS: I'am also new to usenet, if you do reply, a CC to my email adress would
be very much appreciated. Just might miss it otherwise, news is confusing...
:-)

2. Problem with CDRom being mounted after install completes

3. SIOCADDRT: Operation not supported by device

4. examining mail directory

5. Operation not supported by device

6. OT Question

7. /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

8. timezone

9. SIOCSIFADDR:Operation not supported by device

10. KWINTV Problem: Operation not supported by device??

11. SIOCADDRT: Operation not supported by device

12. login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device

13. This device does not support this operation !!!!!!