Need Help. Please Reply.

Post by harlequi » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Okay.  Here is my problem.  I am new to FreeBSD.  I got 2.2.6, I
believe.  I installed it, set up my com ports and everything.  In
Windows/MS-DOS, I got my first external com port on 0x3f8(COM 1) and my
second external com port on 0x2e8(COM 4) and my modem is on COM
2(0x3e8).  My modem is a PnP USR 56K V.90 Internal Modem,  In DOS, 0x3f8
is on IRQ 4 and 0x2f8 and 0x2e8 is on IRQ 3.
    When I installed BSD, I configured my COM 1 as 0x3f8 and IRQ 4, my
COM 2 as 0x3e8 and IRQ 3, and COM 4 is set on on 0x2e8 and IRQ 11(I
don't want it on IRQ 3 in BSD).  My BIOS has my external com ports set
to 0x3f8 and 0x2e8.  Now, when I boot up, it recognizes my first com
port, but not the second or fourth one.

    Does anyone know how I can get FreeBSD to recognize COM 2(Especially
this since my modem is on it) and COM 4?  Do I have to change something
with my BIOS?  I honestly think I tried everything in my BIOS and
nothing worked.  Also, do I need to configure something so COM 4 is IRQ
11?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Need Help. Please Reply.

Post by Kenneth Furg » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Boot the install kernel with the -c option.  This will allow you to nail
down what port/irq you want to go with each sio (com) port.  By default,
sio2 and sio3 (com3 and com4 in dos lingo) are compiled in, but
disabled.  Turn at least sio2 back on and set its port/iqr combination
to match your configuration.  Make sure you have pnp enabled in your
kernel so your modem is properly detected and bound to an sio driver.
If you have a USR Winmodem, your modem will never work with FreeBSD.  If
it's a standard internal modem, you stand a pretty good chance of making
it work.

- K.C.

> Okay.  Here is my problem.  I am new to FreeBSD.  I got 2.2.6, I
> believe.  I installed it, set up my com ports and everything.  In
> Windows/MS-DOS, I got my first external com port on 0x3f8(COM 1) and my
> second external com port on 0x2e8(COM 4) and my modem is on COM
> 2(0x3e8).  My modem is a PnP USR 56K V.90 Internal Modem,  In DOS, 0x3f8
> is on IRQ 4 and 0x2f8 and 0x2e8 is on IRQ 3.
>     When I installed BSD, I configured my COM 1 as 0x3f8 and IRQ 4, my
> COM 2 as 0x3e8 and IRQ 3, and COM 4 is set on on 0x2e8 and IRQ 11(I
> don't want it on IRQ 3 in BSD).  My BIOS has my external com ports set
> to 0x3f8 and 0x2e8.  Now, when I boot up, it recognizes my first com
> port, but not the second or fourth one.

>     Does anyone know how I can get FreeBSD to recognize COM 2(Especially
> this since my modem is on it) and COM 4?  Do I have to change something
> with my BIOS?  I honestly think I tried everything in my BIOS and
> nothing worked.  Also, do I need to configure something so COM 4 is IRQ
> 11?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Need Help. Please Reply.

Post by Max File » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure if I completely understand your explanation of
your setup, so excuse me for referring you to something
you may already know.

I just went through setting up a 2nd modem on my
FreeBSD 2.2.7 system. It is using COM3, IRQ5. Anyway,
FreeBSD installs with support for only COM1 and COM2.
If you want to use COM3 and COM4, you have to recompile
your kernel. This task is not as hard as it seems if you've never
done it before. Or perhaps you have, but this would be the
first thing I'd check.

I hate to end these things without referencing some good
reading on the subject so check out:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook37.html#39

Quote:>Okay.  Here is my problem.  I am new to FreeBSD.  I got 2.2.6, I
>believe.  I installed it, set up my com ports and everything.  In
>Windows/MS-DOS, I got my first external com port on 0x3f8(COM 1) and my
>second external com port on 0x2e8(COM 4) and my modem is on COM
>2(0x3e8).  My modem is a PnP USR 56K V.90 Internal Modem,  In DOS, 0x3f8
>is on IRQ 4 and 0x2f8 and 0x2e8 is on IRQ 3.
>    When I installed BSD, I configured my COM 1 as 0x3f8 and IRQ 4, my
>COM 2 as 0x3e8 and IRQ 3, and COM 4 is set on on 0x2e8 and IRQ 11(I
>don't want it on IRQ 3 in BSD).  My BIOS has my external com ports set
>to 0x3f8 and 0x2e8.  Now, when I boot up, it recognizes my first com
>port, but not the second or fourth one.

>    Does anyone know how I can get FreeBSD to recognize COM 2(Especially
>this since my modem is on it) and COM 4?  Do I have to change something
>with my BIOS?  I honestly think I tried everything in my BIOS and
>nothing worked.  Also, do I need to configure something so COM 4 is IRQ
>11?  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

1. NEED HELP!!! PLEASE REPLY!!!

Here is my problem....

I'm trying to make a bootable CD of linux Redhat 6.0 installation
disk.
I know it could work but the problem is
1st.... i don't know which program on linux could help me to do it and
where find it...
2nd..... I'm a new linux user so here is probably the real problem ;)
then i tried to make this bootable disk with Neroburning on windows'98
that allow me to copy on a iso9660 format and allow more than 8.3
caracters. When i tried the copy, the boot CD work but when linux ask
for the CD he couldn't reconize it... There's the reason... I don't
know why but all filename change lowercase to uppercase and all "-"
caracters change for "_". According to Neroburning, looks like fat32
change the filename but you can't see it just in looking at the file,
you must copy the file and then you'll see.

The only way i found, and i'm not sure that is gonna work, it's to
copy the file in the same fat16 directory then you'll see the same
filename in uppercase (ex: Ls-lr.gz -----> copy of LS-LR.GZ). Then cut
the file to an other directory (for the new copy) and then change the
name for the good one.....Damn.... is there someone who have a better
idea that this one???? hehe.. i hope!!!

PS... Excuse my english, i'm french....

2. Korn shell emulation of Csh's !? ???

3. HELP! SunOS newbie needs help. Please reply via e-mail.

4. Re : Linux 2.4.19-pre8

5. * HELP NEEDED PLEASE REPLY! *

6. Booting up LILO on sdc instead of sdb

7. FAQ needed. Please reply via e-mail.

8. Help! "Fuzzy" screen with ATI Mach64

9. TEST! ----REPLY----PLEASE----NEED----TO---VERIFY

10. still need printer help please please please

11. Help still needed please, please, please...

12. HELP, Need help on Solaris 8, Please, Please

13. Printer Help Please (Long Reply)