Soundcards in FreeBSD4.0 - SB Live OK?

Post by Gary J Walk » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Would a Soundblaster Live or any other PCI SB be useable under FreeBSD
4.0?

Even if only as an SB16/basic SB card?

If not, what other PCI soundcard would be covered? I don't really want to
put in an ISA card of any sort ...

Cheers

Gary Walker

Soundcards in FreeBSD4.0 - SB Live OK?

Post by William M. Per » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Would a Soundblaster Live or any other PCI SB be useable under FreeBSD
> 4.0?

Doesn't work, as far as I know.  Even the commercial drivers from 4Front
don't work under 4.0 (or SMP) yet.  I asked and they expect to have them
this summer.

Quote:> Even if only as an SB16/basic SB card?

Not sure - haven't really dug into it that much, but I think the chip is
completely different and is not supposed to be 'SB-compatible'.  Please
prove me wrong though. :)

-bp

Soundcards in FreeBSD4.0 - SB Live OK?

Post by JTSag » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

work is in progress for SBLIve in 4.0.  it is already supported in 5.0

take a look at http://wisefreebsd.virtualave.net/ for instructions on
how to temporailly backport the driver

~jon

--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Mike Cinpinsk » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> If not, what other PCI soundcard would be covered? I don't really want to
> put in an ISA card of any sort ...

I have a PCI SB16 in my box.  It uses the es1731 chipset from Ensoniq.

This is all I have in my kernel config to make it automagically work:

device          pcm

Creative and Ensoniq should be fairly well supported chipset wise for
most any PCI card... I believe even pnp cards are picked up easily these
days.

Mike

Post by Gary J Walk » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Please
> prove me wrong though. :)

> -bp

When I get a bit more back into BSD I'll give that a try!

Gary
Yamaha XjR1300sp

Soundcards in FreeBSD4.0 - SB Live OK?

Post by Gary J Walk » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I have a PCI SB16 in my box.  It uses the es1731 chipset from Ensoniq.

Looks like the safe option. Thanks for the advice (all!)

Gary
Yamaha XjR1300sp

Soundcards in FreeBSD4.0 - SB Live OK?

Post by Gary J Walk » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> work is in progress for SBLIve in 4.0.  it is already supported in 5.0

> take a look at http://wisefreebsd.virtualave.net/ for instructions on
> how to temporailly backport the driver

> ~jon

Thanks for the advice

Gary
Yamaha XjR1300sp

Post by William M. Per » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > work is in progress for SBLIve in 4.0.  it is already supported in 5.0

> > take a look at http://wisefreebsd.virtualave.net/ for instructions on
> > how to temporailly backport the driver

> > ~jon

> Thanks for the advice

Just an FYI that I followed the directions there for 'backporting' to
4.0-STABLE (all of about 1 minute of work), and the SB-Live is working
flawlessly.  The only downside is that it does not mirror the front channel
onto the rear channel like the linux drivers.  That shouldn't be too hard
to add though - I'm going to take a look at it sometime in the next month
if I get bored of hacking XEmacs.

-Bill P.

Soundcards in FreeBSD4.0 - SB Live OK?

Post by Gary J Walk » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Just an FYI that I followed the directions there for 'backporting' to
> 4.0-STABLE (all of about 1 minute of work), and the SB-Live is working
> flawlessly.  The only downside is that it does not mirror the front
> channel
> onto the rear channel like the linux drivers.  That shouldn't be too
> hard
> to add though - I'm going to take a look at it sometime in the next
> month
> if I get bored of hacking XEmacs.

> -Bill P.

Good news. Cheers

I'll hold off swapping the SB live for an SB16 after all.

Gary
Yamaha XjR1300sp