Copying CD's

Post by Abygail Morriga » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:34:00

I have some UNIX CD's (FreeBSD) that I'd like to make copies of for a
friend.  I have a HP ATAPI CD-RW Drive and I can make disks, but when the
drive goes to close the disk I get an error and the CD-ROM drive gets
locked.  I have to use the manual eject device (paperclip) to get the disk
out.  I am using burncd to make the disk.

I guess I have three questions:
1)    What program do I use to make bit for bit copies of a CD?
2)    How do I get the disk to finish writing without an error?
3)    How do I get the drive to not lockup when the disk is done?

Thanks!

Copying CD's

Post by Mike Andre » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

: I have some UNIX CD's (FreeBSD) that I'd like to make copies of for a
: friend.  I have a HP ATAPI CD-RW Drive and I can make disks, but when the
: drive goes to close the disk I get an error and the CD-ROM drive gets
: locked.  I have to use the manual eject device (paperclip) to get the disk
: out.  I am using burncd to make the disk.

: I guess I have three questions:
: 1)    What program do I use to make bit for bit copies of a CD?
: 2)    How do I get the disk to finish writing without an error?
: 3)    How do I get the drive to not lockup when the disk is done?

How are you attempting to make the copies now?

The method I've seen recommended is

o       mkisofs with the bottom-level directory of the CD
        as the root of the ISO image being created, and then

o       burncd using that image.

I haven't tried it yet, but others have posted about successes using
the method.

--
Basically, no matter what you compare spammers to,
that object will be insulted.

Copying CD's

Post by Ted Wisniewsk » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

: I have some UNIX CD's (FreeBSD) that I'd like to make copies of for a
: friend.  I have a HP ATAPI CD-RW Drive and I can make disks, but when the
: drive goes to close the disk I get an error and the CD-ROM drive gets
: locked.  I have to use the manual eject device (paperclip) to get the disk
: out.  I am using burncd to make the disk.

I have always used the following:

        dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2048 of=somefilename.img

Then

        burncd -s 4 -f /dev/acd0c data somefilename.img fixate

In this way, I do not have to worry about the format of the CD...

Ted

: I guess I have three questions:
: 1)    What program do I use to make bit for bit copies of a CD?
: 2)    How do I get the disk to finish writing without an error?
: 3)    How do I get the drive to not lockup when the disk is done?

: Thanks!

Copying CD's

Post by RV » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have some UNIX CD's (FreeBSD) that I'd like to make copies of for a
> friend.  I have a HP ATAPI CD-RW Drive and I can make disks, but when
the
> drive goes to close the disk I get an error and the CD-ROM drive gets
> locked.  I have to use the manual eject device (paperclip) to get the
disk
> out.  I am using burncd to make the disk.

> I guess I have three questions:
> 1)    What program do I use to make bit for bit copies of a CD?
> 2)    How do I get the disk to finish writing without an error?
> 3)    How do I get the drive to not lockup when the disk is done?

> Thanks!

Abygail:

Have you tried copying CD to CD telling burncd to eject (-e)? I don't
know if this will help or make matters even worse. In any case, here is
what I found that works for me. I use an HP 8110 CDRW on /dev/acd0c and
the CDROM on /dev/acd1c.

# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 4 -e data /dev/acd1c fixate

I hope this works,
Ronald

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Copying CD's

Post by Abygail Morriga » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:35:43

I am using CD-RW Media.  Here is what I am doing:

burncd -f /dev/acd1c blank
burncd -f /dev/acd1c data /tmp/abby.iso fixate
blanking CD, please wait..
next writeable LBA 0
writing from file /tmp/abby.iso size 49830 KB
written this track 49830 KB (100%) total 49830 KB
fixating CD, please wait..
burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error

The ioctl error is the one that really bothers me.

> > I have some UNIX CD's (FreeBSD) that I'd like to make copies of for a
> > friend.  I have a HP ATAPI CD-RW Drive and I can make disks, but when
> the
> > drive goes to close the disk I get an error and the CD-ROM drive gets
> > locked.  I have to use the manual eject device (paperclip) to get the
> disk
> > out.  I am using burncd to make the disk.

> > I guess I have three questions:
> > 1)    What program do I use to make bit for bit copies of a CD?
> > 2)    How do I get the disk to finish writing without an error?
> > 3)    How do I get the drive to not lockup when the disk is done?

> > Thanks!

> Abygail:

> Have you tried copying CD to CD telling burncd to eject (-e)? I don't
> know if this will help or make matters even worse. In any case, here is
> what I found that works for me. I use an HP 8110 CDRW on /dev/acd0c and
> the CDROM on /dev/acd1c.

> # burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 4 -e data /dev/acd1c fixate

> I hope this works,
> Ronald

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Copying CD's

Post by Mike Andre » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:51:34

: I am using CD-RW Media.  Here is what I am doing:

: burncd -f /dev/acd1c blank
: burncd -f /dev/acd1c data /tmp/abby.iso fixate
: blanking CD, please wait..
: next writeable LBA 0
: writing from file /tmp/abby.iso size 49830 KB
: written this track 49830 KB (100%) total 49830 KB
: fixating CD, please wait..
: burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error

: The ioctl error is the one that really bothers me.

I was getting essentially the same error with my HP 8100
just 366 days after purchase[1]. Replacing it with another
CDRW drive fixed _that_ problem. Most likely it was dust or
dirt in the drive mechanism, but I'm by no means sure.

[1]     They really do a good job of timing the failures, no?
        I wonder if there's a countdown timer that burns out a
        gate somewhere a year after first power-up.

--
"Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason
to invent, one never ceases to be baffled by the minuscule

Copying CD's

Post by Tony Sweene » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:32:13

> I am using CD-RW Media.  Here is what I am doing:

> burncd -f /dev/acd1c blank
> burncd -f /dev/acd1c data /tmp/abby.iso fixate
> blanking CD, please wait..
> next writeable LBA 0
> writing from file /tmp/abby.iso size 49830 KB
> written this track 49830 KB (100%) total 49830 KB
> fixating CD, please wait..
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error

> The ioctl error is the one that really bothers me.

I got the exact same error trying to burn a CD-RW of the 4.2-RELEASE ISO
image.  I tried again with a write-once CD and it worked.  I just tried the
CD-RW again, and it blanked OK, but got the same error when I tried to burn
it.  What make of CD-RW do you have?  (Mine is reported as "acd0: CD-RW
<PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T> at ata1-master using PIO4" in dmesg).

Tony.

> > > I have some UNIX CD's (FreeBSD) that I'd like to make copies of for a
> > > friend.  I have a HP ATAPI CD-RW Drive and I can make disks, but when
> > the
> > > drive goes to close the disk I get an error and the CD-ROM drive gets
> > > locked.  I have to use the manual eject device (paperclip) to get the
> > disk
> > > out.  I am using burncd to make the disk.

> > > I guess I have three questions:
> > > 1)    What program do I use to make bit for bit copies of a CD?
> > > 2)    How do I get the disk to finish writing without an error?
> > > 3)    How do I get the drive to not lockup when the disk is done?

> > > Thanks!

> > Abygail:

> > Have you tried copying CD to CD telling burncd to eject (-e)? I don't
> > know if this will help or make matters even worse. In any case, here is
> > what I found that works for me. I use an HP 8110 CDRW on /dev/acd0c and
> > the CDROM on /dev/acd1c.

> > # burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 4 -e data /dev/acd1c fixate

> > I hope this works,
> > Ronald

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Copying CD's

Post by Norbert Koc » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I have always used the following:

> dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2048 of=somefilename.img

I tried the above for audio cds and it does not work
(READ_BIG: Illegal Request).
Does someone know the correct bs-parameter
for audio cds?
[BTW why does dd work for data and audio cds
w/o bs-parameter under linux? Is there cdrom device
a more 'cooked' than fbsd's device driver?]

Norbert

Copying CD's

Post by RV » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am using CD-RW Media.  Here is what I am doing:

> burncd -f /dev/acd1c blank
> burncd -f /dev/acd1c data /tmp/abby.iso fixate
> blanking CD, please wait..
> next writeable LBA 0
> writing from file /tmp/abby.iso size 49830 KB
> written this track 49830 KB (100%) total 49830 KB
> fixating CD, please wait..
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error

> The ioctl error is the one that really bothers me.

Abygail:

This is the deal. I'm by no means an expert on cd writing but, I think
I have an idea as to what is happening. When you write a CD, the
session has to be "closed" in order for a "normal" CDROM to read the
contents. The CD Writer puts an electronic seal (I guess) on the copy
it just made. That is what the "fixate" argument to burncd means. Now,
the CDRW media stays open for ever, this is how we are able to
write/erase data to this media. With fixate you are telling burncd to
close a CD media that doesn't ever close. I think this is why you are
getting this: burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error  You
should try on CDR media and see what happens.

I hope I didn't step on my tongue here,

Post by Ted Wisniewsk » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

: [BTW why does dd work for data and audio cds
: w/o bs-parameter under linux? Is there cdrom device
: a more 'cooked' than fbsd's device driver?]

Never tried Audio CD's...  I know it works without the bs= for data
CD's...  It is just fastest to use bs=2048...

Copying CD's

Post by Nero Imhar » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> I tried the above for audio cds and it does not work
> (READ_BIG: Illegal Request).
> Does someone know the correct bs-parameter
> for audio cds?

Ehm... as far as I know audio CD's are quite a different breed.
For one thing, the record size is 2324 bytes. I have no idea if
using that as the block size will do the trick.

Quote:> [BTW why does dd work for data and audio cds
> w/o bs-parameter under linux? Is there cdrom device
> a more 'cooked' than fbsd's device driver?]

Must be.

See http://www.landfield.com/faqs/cdrom/cd-recordable/part1/ for
an interesting read.

--Nero

Copying CD's

Post by magnus dahlsted » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 08:44:13

A good program that will copy the iso-structure of the disc is
cdrecord, which can make copies "on the fly", without the need
for mkisofs. If you need to
make exact copies of "protected" discs, I have found that cdrdao works
very well, although I believe this program requires a scsi-burner.
Cdrdao will even copy discs with "hidden" data beyond the stop mark
of the cd-rom (used by some games).

/ Magnus

> I have some UNIX CD's (FreeBSD) that I'd like to make copies of for a
> friend.  I have a HP ATAPI CD-RW Drive and I can make disks, but when the
> drive goes to close the disk I get an error and the CD-ROM drive gets
> locked.  I have to use the manual eject device (paperclip) to get the disk
> out.  I am using burncd to make the disk.

> I guess I have three questions:
> 1)    What program do I use to make bit for bit copies of a CD?
> 2)    How do I get the disk to finish writing without an error?
> 3)    How do I get the drive to not lockup when the disk is done?

> Thanks!

Copying CD's

Post by Rich Wal » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:14:17

    > > burncd -f /dev/acd1c data /tmp/abby.iso fixate
    > > . . .
    > > fixating CD, please wait..
    > > burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error

Ronald Vazquez replied:

    > Now, the CDRW media stays open for ever . . . .  With
    > fixate you are telling burncd to close a CD media that
    > doesn't ever close. I think this is why you are getting
    > this [error].

To the best of my understanding, no, this is not correct.  You can
fixate a CD-RW disc, just as you can with a CD-R disc.  The bits you
write to the CD-RW when you fixate are exactly the same as what gets
written when you fixate a CD-R.  The difference is that you can erase
a CD-RW, even after you've fixated it, and go back to a blank disc.

My (first) suggestion to Abygail is to check the "dmesg" output from
her system's configuration and see if DMA is in effect for the CD-RW
drive.  If the CD-RW is in PIO mode, try changing it to DMA mode and
see if "burncd" runs any better.  This can be done either by rewriting
the kernel state variable "hw.atamodes" (see "man acd" for details),
or else by adding "options ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA" to the kernel config-
uration and rebuilding the kernel.

Apparently, "burncd" doesn't always work when the drive is in PIO
mode.  However, I understand it still fails on some drives, even if
DMA is in use.

I recently added a Creative CD-RW drive (RW8438E, 8-4-32 speed) to
my 4.2-RELEASE system at home.  At first, I couldn't write anything
("burncd" gave all sorts of error messages).  After I built a new
kernel with the ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA option, it started working OK.

Copying CD's

Post by RV » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Rich:

Thank you for the correction. I got a better explanation after giving
somebody a wrong answer that I have ever gotten to any of my own
questions.