NEWBIE: How do I increase console display from from 25 to 50 lines?

NEWBIE: How do I increase console display from from 25 to 50 lines?

Post by Paul A. Lend » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 05:47:39

Hi folks...

I'm a recent convert from Linux, where it was easy to configure
console display lines in lilo.conf (e.g., vga=ext).

How do I do this in FreeBSD 4.2?

-- Paul Lender

NEWBIE: How do I increase console display from from 25 to 50 lines?

Post by Richard Krus » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:20:16

Quote:> I'm a recent convert from Linux, where it was easy to configure
> console display lines in lilo.conf (e.g., vga=ext).
> How do I do this in FreeBSD 4.2?

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/fonts/index.html

That should answer your question. And if you have any more questions, I
would strongly recommend looking at www.freebsd.org first, if it doesn't
help, then look at www.freebsddiary.org, and then if that doesn't help
either, ask somebody :-)

--
| Richard Krushelnitskiy  | "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room |
| ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  |  looking for a black cat which isn't there."   |

NEWBIE: How do I increase console display from from 25 to 50 lines?

Post by Richard Krus » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:26:59

Quote:> Hi folks...
> I'm a recent convert from Linux, where it was easy to configure
> console display lines in lilo.conf (e.g., vga=ext).
> How do I do this in FreeBSD 4.2?

I'm in a good mood today, so I will give you direct answer :-)

If you want it only for one terminal, use utility called vidcontrol (use
the manpage to find out how). Hint: vidcontrol VGA_80x50

If you want to set it on startup and on all the terminals, as root edit
your /etc/rc.conf file (note: do NOT edit /etc/defaults/rc.conf ever) and
add this line (or in case it's already there, add the contents of the
parentecies):

allscreens_flags="VGA_80x50"

Also prior to that, make sure you have something like this line:

font8x8="swiss-8x8"

Hope this helps! :)

--
| Richard Krushelnitskiy  | "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room |
| ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  |  looking for a black cat which isn't there."   |

1. RH 7.0 : change console text lines from 25 to 50 or higher ?

is there a way to change no. of text lines on console from 25 to
something higher on Red Hat 7.0 ? 25 lines is just not enough.

There's nowhere in Red Hat 7.0 install and getting started guide
that describes how to change that. Also I did a search and found out
about the FreeBSD command "vidcontrol" but it is not availble in RH7.0.
(See I did my research before I bother the world......)
Thank you

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. XF86-3.1.1 Mach64 bpp >= 24

3. 25/50 Line Console Mode

4. unprintable characters

5. 50 lines on VGA console?

6. unix time formula

7. LONDON City - C, Unix, SQL-Learn Investment Banking £25-50,000 + Bonus + Benefits

8. How can I setup Linux as a router?

9. 50-line console mode

10. Question: How to get 50 lines on console

11. 50 lines in "default" text console?

12. 43/50 line console programming

13. console with more than 25 lines