mysql problem

Post by Alex Soroki » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:14:02

Very intresting.. i just installed mysql on my freebsd box, and tried to run
the server file... then i get this message
"ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"

i checked the /tmp directory and their IS no mysql.sock file... opinions?
comments anyone? thanks

mysql problem

Post by Lee Ha » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:13:46

> Very intresting.. i just installed mysql on my freebsd box, and tried to run
> the server file... then i get this message
> "ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"

Are you sure you are running the server and not the client? What is the
name of the program you are running? This sounds like the message the
client would give if the server were not running.

I believe the name of the server is mysqld (not mysql) but I think
you usually run it through some kind of wrapper.

Did you install from a port or package?

Did it not install a startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d  ?
If it did, either run that, or check it for how to start the server.

mysql problem

Post by DaDeXTe » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:31:31

run safe_mysqld& and try it again... this will happen if you installed it from the source (as opposed to the ports collection) or if let's say you didn't reboot since the installation and the startup script located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d wasn't executed

Hope this helps

DaDeXTeR

> Very intresting.. i just installed mysql on my freebsd box, and tried to run
> the server file... then i get this message
> "ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"

> i checked the /tmp directory and their IS no mysql.sock file... opinions?
> comments anyone? thanks

mysql problem

Post by mic.. » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:38:49

> Very intresting.. i just installed mysql on my freebsd box, and tried to run
> the server file... then i get this message
> "ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"

You have some periodic script or xdm script which cleans /tmp
and removes the mysql soket (happened to me!). So you need to
kill mysql and restart it.

Quote:> i checked the /tmp directory and their IS no mysql.sock file... opinions?

--
Michel Talon

1. PHP + MySQL problem

I just installed MySQL 3.22 and PHP 3.05 on a Redhat 5.2 system running
Apache 1.3. Both PHP and MySQL are working (I can create and update
databases from the mysql prompt, and web pages with simple PHP scripts
such as echo etc. are served correctly). Problem is, PHP does not seem
to be able to access MySQL - any mysql-related PHP function gets in
result an error message ("function unsupported or undefined"). I read
the FAQs, but was not able to solve the problem.

Do I need to compile PHP in order to enable its MySQL support? Does it
mean that I also have to compile Apache? I haven't done that, I just
installed the binaries from the rpm packages. Or could the problem be
due to errors in the configuration scripts? When installing PHP, rpm
didn't find the correct location of Apache so I had to tweak some
parameters by hand. Any help or info about similar experience will be
greatly appreciated.

Andrian

2. Quantum Incompatible?

3. mysql problem