Can you record sound with Soundblaster Deluxe?

Can you record sound with Soundblaster Deluxe?

Post by David Ma » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am running a FreeBSD 2.2.2 kernel with Soundblaster support compiled
in. My sound card is a Soundblaster Deluxe. I can play sound files using
NAS and it works very nicely.  But, I just bought a microphone and I
cannot seem to record any sound. (And, yes, I did plug it into MIC not
LINE IN.) I used "audemo" for playing and recording. A sound file gets
created but when I play it it is silent.  Other times it plays garbage
(e.g. the last bits of a previously played sound file repeated over and
over.)

Here are 2 other facts which might be relevant. The sound card shares a
DMA channel with a QIC tape drive. The sound card has a jumper which is
set to allow sharing the DMA channel.

Can anybody comment on this?

Can you record sound with Soundblaster Deluxe?

Post by t.. » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am running a FreeBSD 2.2.2 kernel with Soundblaster support compiled
>in. My sound card is a Soundblaster Deluxe. I can play sound files using
>NAS and it works very nicely.  But, I just bought a microphone and I
>cannot seem to record any sound. (And, yes, I did plug it into MIC not
>LINE IN.) I used "audemo" for playing and recording. A sound file gets
>created but when I play it it is silent.  Other times it plays garbage
>(e.g. the last bits of a previously played sound file repeated over and
>over.)

>Here are 2 other facts which might be relevant. The sound card shares a
>DMA channel with a QIC tape drive. The sound card has a jumper which is
>set to allow sharing the DMA channel.

>Can anybody comment on this?

Since you posted that the DMA channel is shared, you probably know that you
shouldn't be sharing on an ISA bus.  But, I'll just make it official:  There is no
defined electrical or software standard for sharing interrupts, ports, or
DMA channels on the ISA bus.  Over the years, people have come up with
various schemes, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  Nothing has
been embraced by everybody.

Of course, it may be that in your case that it would work for whatever reason.
To verify if the QIC card is at fault, simply open up the machine, remove the
card, and try recording without the QIC card being present.

Ted

Post by David Ma » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Since you posted that the DMA channel is shared, you probably know
> that you
> shouldn't be sharing on an ISA bus.  But, I'll just make it official:
> There is no
> defined electrical or software standard for sharing interrupts, ports,
> or
> DMA channels on the ISA bus.  Over the years, people have come up with

> various schemes, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  Nothing
> has
> been embraced by everybody.

> Of course, it may be that in your case that it would work for whatever
> reason.
> To verify if the QIC card is at fault, simply open up the machine,
> remove the
> card, and try recording without the QIC card being present.

> Ted

Yes, I know I should do that to check. I confess, I hate getting down on
my hands and knees though. Also, I did find a number of email messages
in the FreeBSD archives that hinted that there were problems recording
with some FreeBSD soundcard device drivers. Is this the case, or not? Is
anyone successfully recording with a SoundBlaster Deluxe or Pro using
the drivers in 2.2.2 or later?

1. Soundblaster sound recording...

Hi,

I'm trying to record sound using the line-in port of my soundblaster, but the resulting .wav file sounds very quiet - about 70% of
the volume of comparable files recorded under W**doze. I've tried adjusting the mixer so that the line-in level is at max, but to no
avail.

I'm using a Soundblaster AWE-32 Pnp and I've tried using both the kernel/oss drivers (kernel 2.2.14) and the ALSA drivers and
various sound recording programs (krecord, arecord, ecasound) but the sound still seems quiet whatever I do!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then
beat you with experience.
- Scott Adams.

2. Xibm fixes for RT(AOS) and PS/2

3. Setting up a Sound card / Setting up a standart modem in Corel LINUX OS Deluxe

4. AIX Performance Tips Papers

5. dbx woes

6. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe -- Sound in Linux

7. More PPPD with PAP problems (still won't login)

8. Setting up a Sound card / Setting up a standart modem in Corel LINUX OS Deluxe

9. media vison deluxe sound card w/jazz chipset

10. Soundblaster 16 recording problem

11. Cant't record with SoundBlaster 16 card !

12. Recording using a SoundBlaster Live - can YOU do it?