ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

Post by steve » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:06:36

I was just wondering... what is the command similar to ifup/ifdown in linux?
Didn't find anything in the docs...
basicly I just want to apply changes in rc.conf without having to reboot.

tnx

ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

Post by Philip Paep » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:25:39

> I was just wondering... what is the command similar to ifup/ifdown in linux?
> Didn't find anything in the docs...
> basicly I just want to apply changes in rc.conf without having to reboot.

Have you read ifconfig(8).  The operation is almost the same as under linux,
you just don't get the silly ifup/ifdown scripts.

 % ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.8 mask 0xffff0000

 - Philip

--

  It's always easier to go down hill, but the view is
  from the top.

ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

Post by Berk S. Daemo » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 19:33:46

Quote:> I was just wondering... what is the command similar to ifup/ifdown in
linux?
> Didn't find anything in the docs...
> basicly I just want to apply changes in rc.conf without having to reboot.

> tnx

ifconfig <if> down ; ifconfig <if> up

sh /etc/netstart to reload rc.conf, etc.

You can also change some of those settings on the fly with sysctl too.

Hope this helps.

ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

Post by steve » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 20:03:05

tnx...
I should of rtfm more carefully ;)

> > I was just wondering... what is the command similar to ifup/ifdown in
linux?
> > Didn't find anything in the docs...
> > basicly I just want to apply changes in rc.conf without having to
reboot.

> Have you read ifconfig(8).  The operation is almost the same as under
linux,
> you just don't get the silly ifup/ifdown scripts.

>  % ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.8 mask 0xffff0000

>  - Philip

> --
> Philip Paeps

Quote:

>   It's always easier to go down hill, but the view is
>   from the top.

ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

Post by Sam Doyl » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 00:49:20

> ifconfig <if> down ; ifconfig <if> up

> sh /etc/netstart to reload rc.conf, etc.

This didn't seem to pole the DHCP server to bring the interface back up. It
came back with an address of 0.0.0.0. Any way to make the box pull in its
config from the DHCP server "on the fly'?

Sam

ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

Post by Rasputi » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:09:47

In the last exciting episode of comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,
Sam Doyle said:

>> ifconfig <if> down ; ifconfig <if> up

>> sh /etc/netstart to reload rc.conf, etc.

> This didn't seem to pole the DHCP server to bring the interface back up. It
> came back with an address of 0.0.0.0. Any way to make the box pull in its
> config from the DHCP server "on the fly'?

dhclient <interface> - don't need the ifconfig's at all then.

--
If you don't have a * obituary you probably didn't matter.
                -- Freeman Dyson

1. How do you use ifup and ifdown while not at console?

I have a Linux computer on my network that connects my network to the
internet. I would like to be able to activate and deactivate the
connection (by using ifup ppp1 or ifdown ppp1) from another computer
on my network from which I am logged onto my Linux box through an
X-Windows session. I keep getting messages that say that users cannot
do this. I tried changing permissions, but I still cannot do it. Is
there any way to log onto a Linux box over your network as root? I can
only do that from the console. I've tried over X-Windows, but it says
wrong password. If I could log on as root from another terminal, that
would work, or if I could change things so that someone other than
root could activate ifup and ifdown, that would work.

TIA,
Ed

2. FP extensions permissions question

3. ifup-ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 fron crontab

4. Tr: Cpunk -nitemare TLA

5. user rights to use ifup, ifdown, ...

6. PPC RS/6000 E30, why no YDL?

7. Debian: doc for /etc/network/interfaces, ifup, ifdown

8. Comparing cpio tape to disk?

9. Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

10. ifup/ifdown script oddity

11. ifup & ifdown questions