Multi Processor in FreeBSD

Post by Nexzu » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:13:41

Good morning everyone,
    Currently I'm running my webserver on windows 2002 and I'm thinking of
changing it to FreeBSD.  My Server is running on a Intel 7501 Chipset and is
capable of supporting dual Xeon processor. However i currently only have 1
Processor. I would like to consults the experts here, If i installed freeBsd
now and at a later stage, i wish to add in another Processor, isit just a
matter of opening the casing and add it in? Meaning auto detect. Or do i
need to do lots of configuration? If configuration is needed, can someone
please advise me on this issue?
Thank you.

Yours Sincerely
David

Multi Processor in FreeBSD

Post by Devon Rya » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:59:50

> Good morning everyone,
>     Currently I'm running my webserver on windows 2002 and I'm thinking of
> changing it to FreeBSD.  My Server is running on a Intel 7501 Chipset and is
> capable of supporting dual Xeon processor. However i currently only have 1
> Processor. I would like to consults the experts here, If i installed freeBsd
> now and at a later stage, i wish to add in another Processor, isit just a
> matter of opening the casing and add it in? Meaning auto detect. Or do i
> need to do lots of configuration? If configuration is needed, can someone
> please advise me on this issue?
> Thank you.

Well, it almost auto-configures.  You'll just need to recompile your
kernel with

options         SMP
options         APIC_IO

added into the config file.  If you've never compiled a kernel before,
it's absurdly easy and the process is described in the handbook.

-Devon

Multi Processor in FreeBSD

Post by Erik Nygre » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:14:49

> Good morning everyone,
>     Currently I'm running my webserver on windows 2002 and I'm thinking of
> changing it to FreeBSD.  My Server is running on a Intel 7501 Chipset and is
> capable of supporting dual Xeon processor. However i currently only have 1
> Processor. I would like to consults the experts here, If i installed freeBsd
> now and at a later stage, i wish to add in another Processor, isit just a
> matter of opening the casing and add it in? Meaning auto detect. Or do i
> need to do lots of configuration? If configuration is needed, can someone
> please advise me on this issue?
> Thank you.

You will have to enable SMP and APIC_IO in the kernel to make use of second
processor. If you current processor have hyperthreading, and your BIOS
supports this, you might be able to compile the SMP-support into your kernel
and use your single Xenon as two. Then adding another is just a matter of
opening up the case and inserting the new CPU.
I really don't know if it's possible to use SMP/APIC_IO with just one
processor otherwise. You'll have to try it out ;-)

--
Erik Nygren
e r i k { a t } s w i p { d o t } n e t