broken mail spools

Post by Brian Pon » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
Anyone know what the cause of broken mail spools is?  Some times a
user will get one. Usually we fix it by deleting the first email in
the spool. But sometimes that doesnt work. The only pattern we can see
is that it's usually spam or it has a attachment. But why would it
cause trouble only sometimes? We are using freeBSD 2.2.8 with sendmail
8.9.3  with qpopper v2.53 and procmail v3.11pre4

Thanks
Brian Pontz

broken mail spools

Post by Nick Hilliar » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Anyone know what the cause of broken mail spools is?  Some times a
> user will get one. Usually we fix it by deleting the first email in
> the spool. But sometimes that doesnt work. The only pattern we can see
> is that it's usually spam or it has a attachment. But why would it
> cause trouble only sometimes? We are using freeBSD 2.2.8 with sendmail
> 8.9.3  with qpopper v2.53 and procmail v3.11pre4

Most likely, you have a locking problem of some form.  Are you running the spool
over NFS?  If you are, you shouldn't be because it is a recipe for trouble.  And
no matter how many people tell you that they have had no problems with it and
that it will work just fine, it doesn't, cannot and never will work reliably.

If you really need to run a mail spool over NFS, the only way to do it safely is
to use something like Maildir.  Procmail will support this with a small patch
available on the qmail web site.

If you aren't running your mail spool over NFS, you need to make sure that
qpopper and procmail are using a compatible form of file locking.  Don't use dot
locking in this case -- it's not reliable enough.

Procmail also pukes if it gets pathologically broken headers.  This may or may
not be causing you trouble.

Nick

| Tel: +353 1 6046800 |        Advanced Systems Architect |
| Fax: +353 1 6046888 | Ireland On-Line System Operations |

1. /var/spool/mail vs. /usr/spool/mail

I know this might appear to be a real newbee question, but it
is coming from one. ;)

Why do I have a /var/spool/mail and a /usr/spool/mail?

The /var/spool/mail doesn't seem to do anything, does it:

I ran a test.
    I chown'd a partickular user's /var/spool/mail file to
    root and chown'd the same user's /usr/spool/mail file
    to root.

   The result was that the user couldn't check mail--that makes sense!.

   I then chown'd that user's /usr/spool/mail  to make that user the
   owner and that user could then check mail.

   If /var/spool/mail was still owned by root ad the user was able to
   check mail, what is the function of /var/spool/mail?

2. Mozilla Seg faults under SuSE 7.1

3. Is there a mail program that can read mail (as root) from /var/spool/mail/xxx?

4. Owner of sockets

5. mail folder is in /var/mail or /var/spool/mail

6. Iwill DVD266-R Linux compatibility

7. Mail to /var/spool/mail/a/auser

8. Mysterious Disk Space Issue

9. More mail file locking questions (lockf, NFS, /var/spool/mail/*.lock)

10. Help for getting mail from ISP to my mail spool.

11. Mail problem because a perl script reads /var/spool/mail/login?

12. editing the root mail file in /var/spool/mail

13. root mail with shared /var/spool/mail