2.2 upgrades

Post by Neil Lon » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi
We use 2.1.x in the main but I always like trying the not quite latest
and current is a bit too time consuming to follow (fascinating mail-list
though).
I started with the 2.2 SNAP last October, tried ALPHA and now BETA.
Apart from a fresh install is there a way to get a clean 'upgrade'
between the releases. The upgrade option in sysinstall doesn't
upgrade the /stand components so the package add is still hunting
for the now non-existent SNAP release tree. (As a side effect the BETA
release got as far as bootcrunch and then died but I was able to recover
the /etc files and copy the kernel over.) All seemed fine but how
do I tidy up the /stand/sysinstall components or databases?

I will probably do a fresh install when RELEASE is out but was just
curious about the best approach for upgrades, I am obviously missing something
but didn't get any paydirt from the release notes, etc. The upgrade option
is obviously aimed at earlier releases but mostly works well enough.

Many thanks
Neil
*  Neil J Long, Department of Materials, University of Oxford
*               Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PH, UK

*  Tel:         +44 (0)1865-273678 Fax: +44 (0)1865-273789

2.2 upgrades

Post by Jordan K. Hubbar » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> the /etc files and copy the kernel over.) All seemed fine but how
> do I tidy up the /stand/sysinstall components or databases?

Actually, the upgrade deliberately ignores /stand.  In retrospect, this
was probably a mistake and I will fix it.

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  President, FreeBSD Project

1. YDL 2.2 Upgrade to YDL 2.3

I am currently running YDL 2.2 PowerMac G4 and I want to upgrade to
YDL 2.3. I have my system partitioned to triple boot YDL 2.2, Mac OS 9,
Mac OS X. Can I upgrade to YDL 2.3 with having to reinstall all my
software? If I just get the YDL 2.3 CD is there a upgrade option?

Any help would be appreciated,

Oscar

2. IIS to Apache Migration

3. Solaris 2.1 -> 2.2 upgrade fails

4. NIS Information needed on Solaris.

5. Linux 2.2 upgrade pack for Red Hat 5.2 available - jumped the gun

6. Using Adaptec 1542cf with harddrive

7. SCO Unix v3.2.2 upgrade

8. Open Graphics Project releases artwork for OGD1 board

9. COMMERCIAL: Slackware Pro 2.2 upgrades & enhancements

10. kde 2.2 upgrade on Redhat 7.1 linux

11. rvplayer doesn't work after kernel 2.2 upgrade

12. Wacky 2.0->2.2 upgrade problem ftp/telnet

13. Linux 2.2 upgrade pack for Red Hat 5.2 available