Cable modem setup

Post by Nathan Yeria » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 12:43:45

    I recently moved and set myself up with Comcast's Cable modem service.
It works great for this Win98 platform, but I can't seem to get the Motorola
surfboard modem to play nice with my 3Com etherlink XL-COMBO.

    I checked the freebsd.org site and did what everyone else seemed to do,
but no dice.

Since the 3Com is a combo card, I need use the following line rc.conf to
configure it

ifconfig_xl0="media UTP mediaopt full-duplex"

Later on, I try to enable DHCP:

ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"

After this executes, "ifconfig -a" reveals the interface is reset to using
the default BNC port, so I never get config information from the server. How
do I fix this?

--

2000 Chevrolet S10 Xtreme - Indigo Blue Metallic
1997 Honda CBR600F3 - Black/White/Red

Cable modem setup

Post by Simon Johnso » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 14:23:36

>     I recently moved and set myself up with Comcast's Cable modem service.
> It works great for this Win98 platform, but I can't seem to get the
Motorola
> surfboard modem to play nice with my 3Com etherlink XL-COMBO.

>     I checked the freebsd.org site and did what everyone else seemed to
do,
> but no dice.

> Since the 3Com is a combo card, I need use the following line rc.conf to
> configure it

> ifconfig_xl0="media UTP mediaopt full-duplex"

> Later on, I try to enable DHCP:

> ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"

> After this executes, "ifconfig -a" reveals the interface is reset to using
> the default BNC port, so I never get config information from the server.
How
> do I fix this?

> --

> 2000 Chevrolet S10 Xtreme - Indigo Blue Metallic
> 1997 Honda CBR600F3 - Black/White/Red
> "I ain't 'nobody,' dork...right?"

man dhclient.conf

you can set the media type in there.

--

Simon

Optus Cable Traffic Monitor
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/trafficstats/total/index.html

1. Yet another cable modem setup question :( (Philadelphia area Suburban Cable)

I've been trying to get my cable modem working under Mandrake 6.0/6.1
for over a month now without success. I think I've read every post
here within that time period and have still come up blank. So as it
is, I'm running NTS and Proxy 2/IIS4 to provide access for my home
network and am not particularly happy about it.

In the past, I've never had problems configuring Mandrake for PPP
dialup and using ipchains so I think I'm ok there. So, here's what I
have and what I've tried:

My cable modem is an RCA DCM105 connected to eth1 (WD chipset SMC
card). eth0 is an EtherExpress Pro 100 which, in turn is connected to
my 10/100 hub to which all of my other PCs are connected. Suburban
provided me with a static IP address so I did not use DHCP on eth1 and
since I have only 5 PCs, I don't use DHCP inside either.

I have no problem pinging either interface from any PC on the net and
have setup Linux with the IP address, hostname, etc. that Suburban
provided. I can't even get out with Netscape on the linux box. I can't
think of anything that I missed, but obviously I missed something.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Ken J Braatz

"150 years from now when men find the crashed probe
on mars, the LCD display will probably read:
PH33R /\/\y 31337 h4x0r1n6 5K1LLZ! - K1n6 Kr4x0r! 1999"
--Posted by an Anonymous Coward on Slashdot

2. Apache error

3. Cable Modem Setup

4. isdn - dialup - fetchmail - heelllllpppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. @home cable modem setup

6. Freebsd and Linux

7. cable modem setup

8. Aztech modem/sound card