power down my FreeBSD box

Post by Motza » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 19:18:43

hey folks

im a quite lazy quy and i dont want to power down my FreeBSD (4.2 release)
machine by pushing the "ON/OFF" button (oh yeah i found it ;))
i use this box as a gateway for my two win98 boxes and configured it via
telnet/ssh (had no money for a third monitor)
the problem now is, the gateway is in another room ...

i used the command shutdown -p now, the machine stops processing, but this
green light on the tower tells me that its still on power
i also recompiled my kernel with power management support

device          smbus
device          intpm
device          smb

by the way the motherboard supports this option
am i doing somethin wrong or did i misunderstand this powermanagement stuff

plz support my lazy behavior
many thanks

power down my FreeBSD box

Post by Volker Sto » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:46:28

Quote:> i used the command shutdown -p now, the machine stops processing, but this
> green light on the tower tells me that its still on power
> i also recompiled my kernel with power management support

Do you have "device apm..." in your kernel?
You must also have apm_enable="YES" in rc.conf (or do it manually).
--

power down my FreeBSD box

Post by mic.. » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:36:59

> hey folks
> im a quite lazy quy and i dont want to power down my FreeBSD (4.2 release)
> machine by pushing the "ON/OFF" button (oh yeah i found it ;))
> i use this box as a gateway for my two win98 boxes and configured it via
> telnet/ssh (had no money for a third monitor)
> the problem now is, the gateway is in another room ...
> i used the command shutdown -p now, the machine stops processing, but this
> green light on the tower tells me that its still on power
> i also recompiled my kernel with power management support
> device          smbus
> device          intpm
> device          smb
> by the way the motherboard supports this option
> am i doing somethin wrong or did i misunderstand this powermanagement stuff
> plz support my lazy behavior
> many thanks

You need apm support in kernel:
this will give something like
apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

Then you need to enable apm:
apm_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf
(or apm -e at the prompt)

in order that halt -p effectively halts the machine.

The smbus devices you have are useful to monitor your mobo health
(healthd or lmmon in the ports)
assuming they really work with FreeBSD on your hardware (i have
from 0 to 50% luck with that according to the machine).

--
Michel Talon

power down my FreeBSD box

Post by Hal Weave » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 06:11:05

> > hey folks

> > im a quite lazy quy and i dont want to power down my FreeBSD (4.2 release)
> > machine by pushing the "ON/OFF" button (oh yeah i found it ;))
> > i use this box as a gateway for my two win98 boxes and configured it via
> > telnet/ssh (had no money for a third monitor)
> > the problem now is, the gateway is in another room ...

> > i used the command shutdown -p now, the machine stops processing, but this
> > green light on the tower tells me that its still on power
> > i also recompiled my kernel with power management support

> > device          smbus
> > device          intpm
> > device          smb

> > by the way the motherboard supports this option
> > am i doing somethin wrong or did i misunderstand this powermanagement stuff

> > plz support my lazy behavior
> > many thanks

> You need apm support in kernel:
> this will give something like
> apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
> apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

> Then you need to enable apm:
> apm_enable="YES"
> in /etc/rc.conf
> (or apm -e at the prompt)

> in order that halt -p effectively halts the machine.

> The smbus devices you have are useful to monitor your mobo health
> (healthd or lmmon in the ports)
> assuming they really work with FreeBSD on your hardware (i have
> from 0 to 50% luck with that according to the machine).

> --
> Michel Talon

I have apm configured in the kernel on my IBM ThinkPad A21m, but I don't
get powerdown with halt -p.  Nor does the kernel cause the bootup
sequence:

        apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
        apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

My kernel configuration has the line:

        device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power
Management

And /etc/rc.conf has:

        apm_enable="YES"

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hal

power down my FreeBSD box

Post by David Hawort » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:18:34

Quote:> My kernel configuration has the line:
>    device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power
>                               Management

may I suggest removing the word "disable" from this line and trying
again?

dave

power down my FreeBSD box

Post by Warren Blo » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:06:41

>    device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power
> Management

> And /etc/rc.conf has:

>    apm_enable="YES"

> Any suggestions?

Comment out that device line and add "device apm".  It worked for me the
other night.

power down my FreeBSD box

Post by mic.. » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:39:21

> I have apm configured in the kernel on my IBM ThinkPad A21m, but I don't
> get powerdown with halt -p.  Nor does the kernel cause the bootup
> sequence:
>    apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
>    apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
> My kernel configuration has the line:
>    device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power

You are hit by the infamous disable in the above line. How many people
have written in full this line without seeing the world disable in it?

Put simply

device          apm0    at nexus?

Quote:> Management

--
Michel Talon

power down my FreeBSD box

Post by Jim Ankru » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:07:27

> > I have apm configured in the kernel on my IBM ThinkPad A21m, but I don't
> > get powerdown with halt -p.  Nor does the kernel cause the bootup
> > sequence:

> > apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
> > apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

> > My kernel configuration has the line:

> > device apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power

> You are hit by the infamous disable in the above line. How many people
> have written in full this line without seeing the world disable in it?

> Michel Talon

 I saw that in my kernel and thought the disable meant it would disable
whatever 0x20 is. Something like a feature that isn't completely implemented
yet (hard drive spin down or such...), so I did the same thing just
uncommented the line thinking it would work. I wonder how many others have
thought along the same lines?

Jim

power down my FreeBSD box

Post by Hal Weave » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:53:13

> > > I have apm configured in the kernel on my IBM ThinkPad A21m, but I don't
> > > get powerdown with halt -p.  Nor does the kernel cause the bootup
> > > sequence:

> > > apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
> > > apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

> > > My kernel configuration has the line:

> > > device apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power

> > You are hit by the infamous disable in the above line. How many people
> > have written in full this line without seeing the world disable in it?

> > Michel Talon

>  I saw that in my kernel and thought the disable meant it would disable
> whatever 0x20 is. Something like a feature that isn't completely implemented
> yet (hard drive spin down or such...), so I did the same thing just
> uncommented the line thinking it would work. I wonder how many others have
> thought along the same lines?

> Jim

Yup, disabling the "disable" clause did it!  I had futzed around trying
to understand the source code in the apm directory, but, like the little
woman says when we're out driving, "Why don't you just stop and ask
directions?"

Thank you, Dave, Warren, Michel, and Jim.  It's the quality of the FBSD
community that makes it easy for us new guys.

Hal

1. My Linux box won't power down itself...

Hi.
Recently I've compiled myself the 2.2.17 Kernel on my RedHat6.2 machine and
ended up
with a fine-working box but the shutdown process which now ask me to
manually power down the machine after shutting down its processes.
The process was always automatic before, of course.
Any suggestions ?
Thx,
~~Ohad.

2. Linux as router.

3. init 5 doesn't power down a x86 sol8 box

4. Need Help! Linux and Scientific Atlanta Modem

5. Powering up/down SCSI devices on a live FreeBSD 3.4

6. kdemultimedia port

7. how to power down my freeBSD machine?

8. No sound after 2.4.0-test10 kernel build

9. FreeBSD and hard-disk power-down

10. Problem with powering down when shutting down

11. Sparc10 Won't power-on after shutting down through power button

12. power.conf - power down system disk after 30 minutes

13. Hazards of power management (HDD power down)