newsfeed

Post by David Hil » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
  We are looking into setting up a newsfeed, but not a full newsfeed.  I
have heard of using INN and suck together.  Currently, we pay a commercial
newsgroup provider for accounts, but the accounts are filling up during peak
hours.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Any help would be great.

Thanks
David Hill

newsfeed

Post by Eric Bloo » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I would suggest that you look into leafnode (free) or knews
(commercial).  I've used knews in the past, but I'm currently using
leafnode.  Leafnode is easy to configure, and it's great for serving a
small group of users.

--
Eric *

newsfeed

Post by Duncan Barcl » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
>   We are looking into setting up a newsfeed, but not a full newsfeed.  I
> have heard of using INN and suck together.  Currently, we pay a commercial
> newsgroup provider for accounts, but the accounts are filling up during peak
> hours.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Any help would be great.

> Thanks
> David Hill

A couple of years ago I wrote a tutorial on setting up inn and suck.

http://www.ragnet.demon.co.uk/mynews/

Duncan Barclay          | God smiles upon the little children,

newsfeed

Post by John Saunder » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
>   We are looking into setting up a newsfeed, but not a full newsfeed.  I
> have heard of using INN and suck together.  Currently, we pay a commercial
> newsgroup provider for accounts, but the accounts are filling up during
peak
> hours.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Any help would be great.

You can try leafnode which is in the ports. However past experience
with an older version wasn't that positive with a large number of
clients. Leafnode uses a "delayed download on demand" policy. This
causes your customers to trawl through all the groups looking for
something to read. They then email back that you have no news and
what sort of crappy service is this. Then when your preiodic news
download kicks in, because they have looked into every group leafnode
decides to download _everyting_. With a few, or a lot of, people
settled into reading a selected number of groups it is great. As
soon as the clients go trawling for articles through the groups it
causes a problem.

The best choice I have found is nntpcache which is in the ports.
Although a newer port exists at the original download site. It is
not free for commercial use but the license price is very reasonable.

I have also heard good stuff about dnews which costs more than
nntpcache.

Cheers.
--        +------------------------------------------------------------+

  ,--_|\  |                 http://www.scitec.com.au/                  |
 /  Oz  \ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
 \_,--\_/ | "Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid   |
       v  |  by education. -- Bertrand Russell"                        |

1. Newsfeed file for INN

I have the file delivered with INN...
It's, to say the least, confusing as hell.

The man page doesn't work, it's 1/1 End of file.

I tried ME\::: .... when i had this setting my news got
tossed into the directories under news (alt etc..) once..
Now it doesn'te work anymore ...

What has to be in there??
All i want to do is post/receive mail...

I've instaled practically everything without too much trouble.. xept
for the UUCP... isn't there some script out there that takes care
of EVERYTHING and whitout errors??

I'm getting pretty desperate u know.... listening to
my Juadas Priest album.... so please send me an example
that i can understand iso ME\yabba*,dabba*,\:<yek-yek-yek://{$72}:\etc..

Or.. HELP!!

2. network setup question

3. /usr/lib/news/newsfeeds prob. for innd

4. UNIX clone for PC/XT needed

5. newsfeed ?

6. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 2/2

7. mail & newsfeed <> SLIP/PPP provider - help needed

8. Problem with Dlink dfe 530tx

9. setting up a newsfeed to linux

10. Newsfeed

11. ISDN/newsfeed