OK I Want To Install BSD: Need Help

Post by Luck » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I downloaded FreeBSD 3.4  My 2 HDD's are set up just the way I
want them. My primary C drive has Debian potato and Win 98. The
second D drive has Slack 7 on /dev/hdb7 and the swap is on
/dev/hdb8 and win2000 on /dev/hdb5 Now I want to install BSD on
this second drive
but I also have the BeOS on it. I really don't
want to delete the BeOS partiton but would format the Slack
partiton which is
1800mb. When I went into the BSD installer it
told me the Slack
partition is in use. How can I install BSD on
just the Slack partition? If I don't like BSD I want to be able
to re-install Slack. Would I delete the Slack partition or what
to make a FreeBSD partition?
I'm not very familir with fdisk on
Linux but can follow directions clearly.

I also would like to
boot from a floppy or Cd rom. If I put BSD on the /dev/hdb7
partition, what would I type in after I press
the spacebar
during boot? The HDD is an IDE.

OK I Want To Install BSD: Need Help

Post by Alan Core » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

You can probably just change the type on the Slack7 partition to FreeBSD's
type in sysinstall, and it should know to format it (the newfs flag
should get set).  If that won't work then delete it and recreate it.
If you delete and recreate you can kill off your Slackware swap partition too
and put the space into your FreeBSD partition, since FreeBSD has its own
scheme of managing space.

Umm, unless I'm misremembering the way Slackware numbers partitions,
/dev/hdb7 would be something like the second logical partiton in an
extended partiton on the drive, with primaries being hdb1-4.  I didn't
know it was possible to boot from an extended partition.  Then again, if
you're using loadlin with a copy of your Slakware kernel inside the
Windows filespace and telling it that / is /dev/hdb7, that could explain
it.  FreeBSD doesn't have an equivalent to loadlin anymore and doesn't
plan to.

Press the spacebar during boot?  Well, if your / was in the *first*
logical partition that would be /dev/wd1s5a/kernel, but I don't know
how you get to the second.

It would be much simpler in a primary partiton.  Only MS operating
systems seem to tell you you can only have 1 primary.  You can actually
have 3 plus the base of an extended in those 4 primary slots.

   Alan Corey

> I downloaded FreeBSD 3.4  My 2 HDD's are set up just the way I
> want them. My primary C drive has Debian potato and Win 98. The
> second D drive has Slack 7 on /dev/hdb7 and the swap is on
> /dev/hdb8 and win2000 on /dev/hdb5 Now I want to install BSD on
> this second drive
> but I also have the BeOS on it. I really don't
> want to delete the BeOS partiton but would format the Slack
> partiton which is
> 1800mb. When I went into the BSD installer it
> told me the Slack
> partition is in use. How can I install BSD on
> just the Slack partition? If I don't like BSD I want to be able
> to re-install Slack. Would I delete the Slack partition or what
> to make a FreeBSD partition?
> I'm not very familir with fdisk on
> Linux but can follow directions clearly.

> I also would like to
> boot from a floppy or Cd rom. If I put BSD on the /dev/hdb7
> partition, what would I type in after I press
> the spacebar
> during boot? The HDD is an IDE.

              It's time to FDISK Microsoft and reformat.

Post by Lukas Er » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I downloaded FreeBSD 3.4  My 2 HDD's are set up just the way I
>want them. My primary C drive has Debian potato and Win 98. The
>second D drive has Slack 7 on /dev/hdb7 and the swap is on
>/dev/hdb8 and win2000 on /dev/hdb5 Now I want to install BSD on
>this second drive
>but I also have the BeOS on it. I really don't
>want to delete the BeOS partiton but would format the Slack
>partiton which is
>1800mb. When I went into the BSD installer it
>told me the Slack
>partition is in use. How can I install BSD on
>just the Slack partition? If I don't like BSD I want to be able
>to re-install Slack. Would I delete the Slack partition or what
>to make a FreeBSD partition?
>I'm not very familir with fdisk on
>Linux but can follow directions clearly.

Did you read the Linux+FreeBSD HOWTO? (http://www.linuxdoc.org)
It explains the differences in partitioning and partition types very good.

lg,
lukas

--
"World domination.  Fast"

        -- Linus Torvalds

Post by Luck » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>You can

probably just change the type on the Slack7 partition to
FreeBSD's
Quote:>type in sysinstall, and it should know to format it
(the newfs flag
>should get set).  If that won't work then

delete it and recreate it.
Quote:>If you delete and recreate you can

kill off your Slackware swap partition too
Quote:>and put the space

into your FreeBSD partition, since FreeBSD has its own
Quote:>scheme

of managing space.

The thing is it doesn't see my second
drive during the install process. Just my first. But in the
newbie docs on BSD's site, they say you can install to a
extended partition. I would like to know how. I would also like
to know how to boot off the Cd to this extended
partition.

Quote:

>Umm, unless I'm misremembering the way Slackware

numbers partitions,
Quote:>/dev/hdb7 would be something like the

second logical partiton in an
Quote:>extended partiton on the drive,

with primaries being hdb1-4.  I didn't
Quote:>know it was possible to

boot from an extended partition.

Actually with all the OS's on
my system, I use a lilo boot disk to boot to Slack.

  Then
again, if

Quote:>you're using loadlin with a copy of your Slakware
kernel inside the
>Windows filespace and telling it that / is

/dev/hdb7, that could explain
Quote:>it.  FreeBSD doesn't have an

equivalent to loadlin anymore and doesn't
Quote:>plan to.

>Press

the spacebar during boot?  Well, if your / was in the *first*

Quote:>logical partition that would be /dev/wd1s5a/kernel, but I
don't know
>how you get to the second.

No one here has BSD on
a extended partition?

Quote:

>It would be much simpler in a primary

partiton.  Only MS operating
Quote:>systems seem to tell you you can

only have 1 primary.  You can actually
Quote:>have 3 plus the base of

an extended in those 4 primary slots.
Quote:

>   Alan Corey

>On

Quote:

>> I downloaded FreeBSD 3.4  My

2 HDD's are set up just the way I
Quote:>> want them. My primary C

drive has Debian potato and Win 98. The
Quote:>> second D drive has

Slack 7 on /dev/hdb7 and the swap is on
Quote:>> /dev/hdb8 and win2000

on /dev/hdb5 Now I want to install BSD on
Quote:>> this second
drive
>> but I also have the BeOS on it. I really don't
>> want

to delete the BeOS partiton but would format the Slack
Quote:

partiton which is
>> 1800mb. When I went into the BSD installer
it
>> told me the Slack
>> partition is in use. How can I
install BSD on
>> just the Slack partition? If I don't like BSD
I want to be able
>> to re-install Slack. Would I delete the

Slack partition or what
Quote:>> to make a FreeBSD partition?
>> I'm

not very familir with fdisk on
Quote:>> Linux but can follow

directions clearly.
Quote:

>> I also would like to
>> boot from a

floppy or Cd rom. If I put BSD on the /dev/hdb7
Quote:>> partition,

what would I type in after I press
Quote:>> the spacebar
>> during

boot? The HDD is an IDE.
Quote:

>> * Sent from RemarQ

http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
Quote:>> The

fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Quote:

It's time to FDISK Microsoft and reformat.

OK I Want To Install BSD: Need Help

Post by Bill Baldwi » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Does FreeBSD support Windows compatible game play ?  Or...is this OS used just
for other things?  Thanks

> [...]

> I want to be able
> >> to re-install Slack. Would I delete the
> Slack partition or what
> >> to make a FreeBSD partition?
> >> I'm
> not very familir with fdisk on
> >> Linux but can follow
> directions clearly.

> >> I also would like to
> >> boot from a
> floppy or Cd rom. If I put BSD on the /dev/hdb7
> >> partition,
> what would I type in after I press
> >> the spacebar
> >> during
> boot? The HDD is an IDE.

> >> * Sent from RemarQ
> http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
> >> The
> fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
> Free!

> It's time to FDISK Microsoft and reformat.

Bill Baldwin
aka Cmdr Crow

OK I Want To Install BSD: Need Help

Post by Frederik Meerwald » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I think that's a very stupid question.
No. It isn't. You can use an emulator, but the performance isn't really
good, than. IMHO, Playing around with Unix is the nicest game in the whole
world. That's much more funnier, than playing a stupid Game.

 -FM
[...]

1. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!

I am trying to setup Postscript support for printing with lpr on a Laserjet 4L.
I have modified printcap and written a filter using ghostscript, but not
success.  Can somebody help?  Here is my setup:
printcap:       lpps|hpljet3:\
                        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
                        :sd=/usr/spool/lp1:\
                        :sh:\
                        :sf:\
                        :mx#0:\
                        :of=/usr/spool/lp1/hpps:
hpps:           gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet3 -sOutputFile=- -

When I use "cat file.ps | hpps | lpr" (with my text-only lp setup) it works ok,
but when I try to use "lpr -Plpps file.ps" I get "Ghostscript: Unrecoverable
error, exit code 1".  Any ideas?

bruno

2. Shared library segfaults on exit, including all functions doesn't

3. Need help w/ BSD install ! :(

4. Setup Websites

5. wanting to install linux, but need help with win me & 40gb drive

6. 1 * RfKoMuiJR-Client

7. wanting to install X: need help

8. x lockup

9. Newbie wants to install Linux and really needs help!!

10. Ok, OK What ports need to be open????

11. ppp ok, nslookup ok, but telnet&ftp need #

12. calling bsd developers: project help wanted

13. "nu bee:-)" ok ok ok