/etc/make.conf and old system binaries

Post by Christian Koc » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:26:28

Hi,
I am tracking FreeBSD RELENG_5_1 and build my base system sometimes like
from version 5_0 to 5_1. My question concerns /etc/make.conf and make
buildworld.

Is there a way if I comment out something like NO_BIND=true,
NO_SENDMAIL=TRUE, NO_FORTRAN=true in /etc/make.conf for make buildworld
that the old binaries are deleted entirely? For security reasons I am
concerned with old system binaries like sendmail lying around.
--
best regards
Christian Koch

P.S. Please omit "the devnull-" statement in the reply email.

Post by Kris Kennawa » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:06:07

> Is there a way if I comment out something like NO_BIND=true,
> NO_SENDMAIL=TRUE, NO_FORTRAN=true in /etc/make.conf for make buildworld
> that the old binaries are deleted entirely? For security reasons I am
> concerned with old system binaries like sendmail lying around.

make world doesn't delete old files.  You can do something like

find / -ctime +1

(assuming you have done an installworld in the last 24 hours) to
locate stale files that are candidates for removal.  It's a good idea
to do this every now and then, because sometimes stale files
(especially headers, but also libraries, and system binaries if they
are moved from one location to another directory that appears later in
the PATH) will cause problems for software compilation/operation.

Kris

Post by Steven G. Kar » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:23:55

>> Is there a way if I comment out something like NO_BIND=true,
>> NO_SENDMAIL=TRUE, NO_FORTRAN=true in /etc/make.conf for make buildworld
>> that the old binaries are deleted entirely? For security reasons I am
>> concerned with old system binaries like sendmail lying around.

> make world doesn't delete old files.  You can do something like

> find / -ctime +1

> (assuming you have done an installworld in the last 24 hours) to
> locate stale files that are candidates for removal.  It's a good idea
> to do this every now and then, because sometimes stale files
> (especially headers, but also libraries, and system binaries if they
> are moved from one location to another directory that appears later in
> the PATH) will cause problems for software compilation/operation.

You also need to ensure that "INSTALL = install -C" isn't
set in /etc/make.conf.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

1. Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

Can someone send me some sample files for the latest version of the named
program?

/etc/named.conf

and

/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts

I am having some trouble understanding how to configure my new RH 6.2
server.

My setup is as follows:

I have a DSL modem connected to a hardware router.  I have an external IP
number and 192.168.1.X as ip's for my LAN running TCP/IP.  The linux server
is at local ip 192.168.1.10.

I want to run my own mail server and name server for HTTP and FTP access.

If I run NSLOOKUP, it reports that it cannot find a server name address for
192.168.1.10 (non-existent host/domain)
and for my external IP (no response from server)

I think if I can see some sample files set up correctly, that I can
reconfigure my system to work correctly.

Or - better yet, if someone can walk me throught this setup I would be
forever greatful!!!

Thanks!!!

www.pdsvs.com
949-367-1212

2. Modem does not initialize

3. /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/xinetd.conf

4. sendmail.cf for SunOs???

5. /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/xinetd.conf

6. BOOTP and EE/PROMs

7. /etc/host.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf

8. Redefined struct in <sys/uio.h>

9. Made a stupid mistake in /etc/lilo.conf -- SOLVED!

10. Made a stupid change to /etc/lilo.conf

11. adding "home made" script to /etc/snmpd.conf

12. Making /etc/dhcpd.conf editable by non-root users

13. Build binaries that can run on old Linux systems.