FreeBSD hangs on boot after install with Timeout error on HD Read

FreeBSD hangs on boot after install with Timeout error on HD Read

Post by Ardy » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I installed FreeBSD without much problems, but when I try to boot it hangs
after:

changing root device to ad0s2a

which is my root. Booting in verbose mode shows a timeout error.

Is this a real hardware error (unreliable drive) or a software
misconfiguration?

Regards,

Frank

FreeBSD hangs on boot after install with Timeout error on HD Read

Post by DeAdb » Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I installed FreeBSD without much problems, but when I try to boot it hangs
>after:

>changing root device to ad0s2a

>which is my root. Booting in verbose mode shows a timeout error.

>Is this a real hardware error (unreliable drive) or a software
>misconfiguration?

>Regards,

>Frank

Looks to me like a little of both.  Research the 1024 bug.  Rule - / must
be the first partition on the on the first hard drive no matter what.

DeAdbOy

FreeBSD hangs on boot after install with Timeout error on HD Read

Post by Dave Simo » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

We've tracked down the source of the following rumour to

:

>Looks to me like a little of both.  Research the 1024 bug.

I think you mean the i386 bug.

Quote:>Rule - / must be the first partition on the on the first hard
>drive no matter what.

One advantage of FreeBSD (among others) over DOS is the very
fact that you DON'T have to do this.

Another advantage of FreeBSD is that even people with huge
misconceptions like this can get it to run!

--

OK, I've got my free software. Now where's the free beer?

To mail me swing an axe between underscore and dave.

1. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

Just installed FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.1 , installtion goes fine until it asks
to remove cdrom/floppies and reboot. Then before anything attempts to
load I get a read error when access the hard disk, then hangs there.

The machine is an old P133 ICL ErgoPro, but runs Windows 95/98 OK so I
know it will boot.

Any ideas???

TIA,
Ash

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply

2. Compatible PCMCIA NIC cards?

3. HD-Timeout HD-Reset errors, Halp

4. Compiling Kernel 2.1.57

5. HD-Timeout HD-Reset error

6. Command in csh program

7. Red Hat install fails with seagate HD - unable to read boot sector

8. I need a binary compiler

9. Q: Install LILO on 2nd HD, remove 1st hd, boot from 2nd?

10. Maxtor HD IRQ Timeouts - System Hangs :(

11. Compaq Deskpro XL Scsi Install hangs w/ Error 22 when reading the CD

12. 4.7 install hangs (CD boot hangs when probing devices)

13. FreeBSD 3.2 FTP Install / Hard Disk READ ERROR