ifconfig alias limit (12?)

Post by Justins local accoun » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:05:50

I can't seem to bind more than 12 IP addresses to an interface
under FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, when I do so, the first address
disappears.

is this tuneable, hardware dependant (ed0?) or other?

Many thanks,

Justin.

ifconfig alias limit (12?)

Post by John Nielse » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:02:09

Quote:> I can't seem to bind more than 12 IP addresses to an interface
> under FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, when I do so, the first address
> disappears.

> is this tuneable, hardware dependant (ed0?) or other?

That's very strange.  I have a 4.7 box that has 85 aliases on one (fxp)
interface.  No problems at all.  If you're setting them up in rc.conf, make
sure that you start with alias0 and don't leave any holes.  Also check for
typos. :)

JN

--
Remove pig-latin to reply by e-mail

ifconfig alias limit (12?)

Post by Justins local accoun » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:28:09

Quote:> I can't seem to bind more than 12 IP addresses to an interface
> under FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, when I do so, the first address
> disappears.

Ooops. Operator error. Don't forget the ALIAS (orr add or other
synonyms) when adding an alias...

--
Justin Murdock            0871 425 1011            This message contains

Pipemedia Ltd       http://www.pipemedia.com/     be those of Pipemedia.

ifconfig alias limit (12?)

Post by f.. » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:39:26

How did you handle the routing setup for different IP ranges? I have two
seperate blocks, and can get the aliases working fine, but am not sure
about how to setup the routing differences. Would you mind sharing?

--
Matt

> I can't seem to bind more than 12 IP addresses to an interface
> under FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, when I do so, the first address
> disappears.

> is this tuneable, hardware dependant (ed0?) or other?

> Many thanks,

> Justin.

ifconfig alias limit (12?)

Post by Justins local accoun » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:26:41

> How did you handle the routing setup for different IP ranges? I have
> two seperate blocks, and can get the aliases working fine, but am not
> sure about how to setup the routing differences. Would you mind
> sharing?

if you have ipforwarding turned on, then FreeBSD will take care of it,
passing anything "directly connected" to the subnets configured on your
interface and anything else to the default gateway.

I've probably misunderstood your question.

ifconfig alias limit (12?)

Post by f.. » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:09:01

>>How did you handle the routing setup for different IP ranges? I have
>>two seperate blocks, and can get the aliases working fine, but am not
>>sure about how to setup the routing differences. Would you mind
>>sharing?

> if you have ipforwarding turned on, then FreeBSD will take care of it,
> passing anything "directly connected" to the subnets configured on your
> interface and anything else to the default gateway.

> I've probably misunderstood your question.

ok. I've got 1 interface. With 3 aliases on it, for a total of 4
addresses. The first 3 addresses are all in the same block . The last
alias is in an entirely different IP block. Last time I tried this,
although the aliases all came up, with the 4th I could not reach it from
the outside world.

For example, this is part of my /etc/rc.conf with changed IP's:
ifconfig_rl0="inet x.x.x.106 netmask 255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_rl0_alias0="x.x.x.107 netmask 0xffffffff"
ifconfig_rl0_alias1="x.x.x.109 netmask 0xffffffff"
ifconfig_rl0_alias2="y.y.y.11 netmask 0xffffffff"

But, I couldn't reach y.y.y.11 from the outside world. You said
ipforwarding should handle this if turned on. What option in the rc.conf
  would turn that on?

--
Matt

ifconfig alias limit (12?)

Post by Michael Sierchi » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:36:58

> For example, this is part of my /etc/rc.conf with changed IP's:
> ifconfig_rl0="inet x.x.x.106 netmask 255.255.255.248"
> ifconfig_rl0_alias0="x.x.x.107 netmask 0xffffffff"
> ifconfig_rl0_alias1="x.x.x.109 netmask 0xffffffff"
> ifconfig_rl0_alias2="y.y.y.11 netmask 0xffffffff"

That's just a mistake.  If an alias address is on the same subnet,
use a netmask of 0xffffffff -- otherwise, use an appropriate netmask.

ifconfig alias limit (12?)

Post by f.. » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:56:05

>> For example, this is part of my /etc/rc.conf with changed IP's:
>> ifconfig_rl0="inet x.x.x.106 netmask 255.255.255.248"
>> ifconfig_rl0_alias0="x.x.x.107 netmask 0xffffffff"
>> ifconfig_rl0_alias1="x.x.x.109 netmask 0xffffffff"
>> ifconfig_rl0_alias2="y.y.y.11 netmask 0xffffffff"

> That's just a mistake.  If an alias address is on the same subnet,
> use a netmask of 0xffffffff -- otherwise, use an appropriate netmask.

nevermind. I just tried it again and it worked....

thank you for the help

--
Matt

1. limits to ifconfig "aliases"?

Are there any limitations to the following interface configuration? I'm
using Solaris 2.3 and I've started using an ifconfig option that
aliases additional IP's to the single le interface, i.e.,

     ifconfig le0 host1.dom.com
     ifconfig le0:0 host1.dom.com
     ifconfig le0:1 host2.dom.com up
     ifconfig le0:2 host.dom2.com up

This is for my WWW servers, so I can use one machine to serve unique
home pages for several domains. It's described at
http://www.thesphere.com/%7Edlp/TwoServers/

Are there limitations to setting up the interface in this manner? Will
performance degrade after adding more than a few, or will I reach a hard
limit? I plan on adding quite a few (5-30) of these...

Thanks!

Paul

--
Paul Hansen                        T G F  T e c h n o l o g i e s

http://together.net/~phansen/            Burlington, VT 05401 USA

2. proxy for all protocols

3. what is the exact raid5 limit (2TB (can i use 12 or 13*180GB?))

4. recording with snd_t4dwave.ko: all zeros

5. 2nd ALSA update [12/12] - 2002/10/01

6. Q: Reopening stdout

7. s390 fixes (12/12).

8. Rockwell drivers.

9. [2.5] kbuild-2.5 12/12: scsi stuff

10. Why do UMTS-links provide DNS Server 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14?

11. () Pointer to Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ (95/12/12)

12. Help needed with ifconfig alias