moving from NEXTSTEP to FreeBSD

Post by Jason T. Nels » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

We'll be in the process of moving our last big NEXTSTEP (Intel) machine
from NEXTSTEP to FreeBSD (after much prodding). Problem is, it contains
a sizable password file in it's NetInfo database (for those who may not know,
it's NeXT's proprietary NIS-like distributed database). I can export the
NetInfo passwd file into it's Un*x flat-file format (standard /etc/passwd)
containing the DES encrypted passwords. If I install FreeBSD on a machine
with DES and just copy the exported password file, are the chances good that
the password file will operate (after tweaking some of the lower numbered
users, of course)? This is the only thing holding me back; I don't feel
like re-adding hundreds of user entries :)

--

http://www.jlc.net/~jason/                NeXT/MIME mail ok!

moving from NEXTSTEP to FreeBSD

Post by Bill Pa » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Daring to challenge the will of the almighty Leviam00se, Jason T. Nelson

: We'll be in the process of moving our last big NEXTSTEP (Intel) machine
: from NEXTSTEP to FreeBSD (after much prodding). Problem is, it contains
: a sizable password file in it's NetInfo database (for those who may not know,
: it's NeXT's proprietary NIS-like distributed database). I can export the
: NetInfo passwd file into it's Un*x flat-file format (standard /etc/passwd)
: containing the DES encrypted passwords. If I install FreeBSD on a machine
: with DES and just copy the exported password file, are the chances good that
: the password file will operate (after tweaking some of the lower numbered
: users, of course)? This is the only thing holding me back; I don't feel
: like re-adding hundreds of user entries :)

You can do the following:

1) Massage the /etc/passwd file into master.passwd format (man 5 passwd
   for an explanation of how to do this -- there's a sample awk script
   shown and the end of the man page which can do the conversion for you)
   and feed it into vipw.

2) Install the DES libcrypt. This has to be downloaded from a local
   FTP site as it does not ship with the base OS. FreeBSD uses an MD5-based
   crypt() by default which won't understand DES passwords. If you do
   install the DES-based libcrypt however, it will work with your DES-based
   passwd file just fine.

Export restrictions prevent Walnut Creek from shipping FreeBSD CDs with
DES software on them. If they included the DES distirbution with the OS,
they would be unable to ship CDs out of the country, which would obviously
be bad for business.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."

Post by Terry Lamber » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

]
] We'll be in the process of moving our last big NEXTSTEP (Intel)
] machine from NEXTSTEP to FreeBSD (after much prodding). Problem
] is, it contains a sizable password file in it's NetInfo database
] (for those who may not know, it's NeXT's proprietary NIS-like
] distributed database). I can export the NetInfo passwd file
] into it's Un*x flat-file format (standard /etc/passwd)
] containing the DES encrypted passwords. If I install FreeBSD
] on a machine with DES and just copy the exported password file,
] are the chances good that the password file will operate (after
] tweaking some of the lower numbered users, of course)? This is
] the only thing holding me back; I don't feel like re-adding
] hundreds of user entries :)

DES is DES.  "nidump" the passwd file, and sed it into the format

        <account name>:<DES password>:<UID>:<GID>::0:0:<user name>:<users home
directory>:<users shell>

Then "vipw" and :r the file.  Save and exit.  It should rebuild
the BSD database (or whine about invalid lines).

Test a couple of accounts to make sure, and you are set.

                                        Terry Lambert

---
or previous employers.

Post by Craig Huckab » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Daring to challenge the will of the almighty Leviam00se, Jason T. Nelson

>: We'll be in the process of moving our last big NEXTSTEP (Intel) machine
>: from NEXTSTEP to FreeBSD (after much prodding). Problem is, it contains
>: a sizable password file in it's NetInfo database (for those who may not know,
>: it's NeXT's proprietary NIS-like distributed database). I can export the

   Not to pick nits, but more like NIS+ because it has more of a hierarchy
  then plain old NIS - IMHO.  And its not a NeXT product - some third
  party produced NetInfo and NeXT licensed it - you can in fact get NetInfo
  for HP-UX, Solaris, SunOS, and more.

   Which brings a new question up : would there be any interest in a version
  of NetInfo for FreeBSD?

  Just thinking out loud,
  Craig

>--
>=============================================================================
>-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu

>=============================================================================
> "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."
>=============================================================================

1. mount NeXTSTEP filesys under Linux / boot NeXTSTEP with LILO?

I suspect these are a FAQs, but couldn't find anything about it so far:

One of the machines i administer is a 486 PC, which until recently ran
NeXTSTEP. We've now built in a second SCSI disk contianing Linux
(DLD distribution with 1.1.72 kernel - runs fine, so far).

What's the elegant way do decide, which system to start at boot time?
Does LILO work with NeXTSTEP, or does NeXTSTEP provide a better
bootstrap loader?

Is there a way to mount NeXTSTEP filesystems under Linux?

Thanx in advance
Armin

 SFB288, Sekr.: MA 8-5,                         phone: +49 30 314 79 253
 TU Berlin,                                            +49 30 314 25 777
 Strasse des 17. Juni 136,                        fax: +49 30 314 21 577
 D 10623 Berlin                            "You mean there's a catch?"
               "Sure there's a catch," Doc Daneeka replied, "catch-22"

 SFB288, Sekr.: MA 8-5,                         phone: +49 30 314 79 253
 TU Berlin,                                            +49 30 314 25 777
 Strasse des 17. Juni 136,                        fax: +49 30 314 21 577
 D 10623 Berlin                            "You mean there's a catch?"
               "Sure there's a catch," Doc Daneeka replied, "catch-22"

2. shells

3. Moving to FREEBSD: What will I find?

4. NFS rsize/wsize max'd at 8K in HPUX 11.0?

5. Moved FreeBSD to Promise FastTrack RAID

6. How do I get boottime from kstat?

7. Move a FreeBSD partition

8. ufsdump confusing my !

9. Moving from BSDI to FreeBSD

10. Moving uses from RedHat to FreeBSD

11. Password file: Moving from Solaris 2.x to FreeBSD

12. Moving from Linux to FreeBSD - any advice?

13. Moving from windows to freebsd