FreeBSD and Terayon Cable Modem

Post by The_Grassh0pp3 » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:59:04

Hello all:

  Has anyone set up FreeBSD 4.x to use a Terayon TeraPro Cable Modem? I have
tried two different NICs, and tried PPPoE and editing the dhclient.conf
file. Can any one help?!? I am running out of hair to yank out...

Thanks in advance,
Ron Clark

FreeBSD and Terayon Cable Modem

Post by John Nielse » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 14:50:18

Quote:> Hello all:

>   Has anyone set up FreeBSD 4.x to use a Terayon TeraPro Cable Modem? I
have
> tried two different NICs, and tried PPPoE and editing the dhclient.conf
> file. Can any one help?!? I am running out of hair to yank out...

I don't have experience with the Tarayon modem (I use a Toshiba), but maybe
I can give you some hints.  Generally speaking, you don't need to use PPPoE
with a cable modem.  Also, I don't know of FreeBSD support for any internal
cable modems (I'd love to be wrong/ill-informed), so I'm going to assume
it's an external model.  That being the case, here's a rough rundown of what
usually needs to happen:
    The cable modem needs to be connected to the cable network.
    Your provider needs to allow your modem to access the network. (They
need to know the modem's MAC address.)
    The cable modem needs to be connected (via a standard straight-through
ethernet cable) to your network card.
    FreeBSD needs to properly recognize the NIC (right settings, no resource
conflicts, etc).
    FreeBSD needs to get an address to assign to the NIC.  If you have a
more or less static address then you can assign it yourself.  Don't forget
to specify the defaultrouter and DNS servers in this case.
    Most cable providers offer DHCP (which should assign an IP address as
well as supply the other settings).  In the simplest case, you can tell
FreeBSD to use DHCP for an interface by specifying 'ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"' in
/etc/rc.conf (replacing xl0 with the name of your interface).  Some

send a hostname parameter so the DHCP server knows which address to assign.
If you have any Windows-centric instructions and they talk about changing
the "computer name" to something specific, this is probably the case.  Or
you can call tech support, pretend you're running windows, and ask them if
you need to change your computer name for it to work.  If you do need
dhclient to send a hostname, add a line like this to /etc/dhclient.conf:
    interface "xl0" { send host-name whatever.name.they.give.you; }

I'm basically shooting in the dark here, since you didn't provide many
details (except the graphic description of your hair-loss problem).  If this
isn't helpful, write again with a more detailed description of your setup
and what you've tried.

Good luck,

JN

FreeBSD and Terayon Cable Modem

Post by Robert Picar » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 21:09:28

One other thing, allot of ISP's are now binding your modem to the MAC
address of your network card. So if it works in another comp and not your
BSD box chances are your not doing something wrong, its your ISP.
Either call them up and have them release the mac address or switch the nics
(By far the easier of the two)

> > Hello all:

> >   Has anyone set up FreeBSD 4.x to use a Terayon TeraPro Cable Modem? I
> have
> > tried two different NICs, and tried PPPoE and editing the dhclient.conf
> > file. Can any one help?!? I am running out of hair to yank out...

> I don't have experience with the Tarayon modem (I use a Toshiba), but
maybe
> I can give you some hints.  Generally speaking, you don't need to use
PPPoE
> with a cable modem.  Also, I don't know of FreeBSD support for any
internal
> cable modems (I'd love to be wrong/ill-informed), so I'm going to assume
> it's an external model.  That being the case, here's a rough rundown of
what
> usually needs to happen:
>     The cable modem needs to be connected to the cable network.
>     Your provider needs to allow your modem to access the network. (They
> need to know the modem's MAC address.)
>     The cable modem needs to be connected (via a standard straight-through
> ethernet cable) to your network card.
>     FreeBSD needs to properly recognize the NIC (right settings, no
resource
> conflicts, etc).
>     FreeBSD needs to get an address to assign to the NIC.  If you have a
> more or less static address then you can assign it yourself.  Don't forget
> to specify the defaultrouter and DNS servers in this case.
>     Most cable providers offer DHCP (which should assign an IP address as
> well as supply the other settings).  In the simplest case, you can tell
> FreeBSD to use DHCP for an interface by specifying 'ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"'
in
> /etc/rc.conf (replacing xl0 with the name of your interface).  Some

> send a hostname parameter so the DHCP server knows which address to
assign.
> If you have any Windows-centric instructions and they talk about changing
> the "computer name" to something specific, this is probably the case.  Or
> you can call tech support, pretend you're running windows, and ask them if
> you need to change your computer name for it to work.  If you do need
> dhclient to send a hostname, add a line like this to /etc/dhclient.conf:
>     interface "xl0" { send host-name whatever.name.they.give.you; }

> I'm basically shooting in the dark here, since you didn't provide many
> details (except the graphic description of your hair-loss problem).  If
this
> isn't helpful, write again with a more detailed description of your setup
> and what you've tried.

> Good luck,

> JN

FreeBSD and Terayon Cable Modem

Post by Ean Kingst » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 23:35:20

Another thing that you may need to get things to work right is the MAC
address of the NIC in your FreeBSD box. Some providers used both the
hostname and the MAC to assign the ip address. If you got a NIC with
the cable modem, you may need to use that one (or call tech support to
get them to update their database) before you will get an IP from
their DHCP server.

> > Hello all:

> >   Has anyone set up FreeBSD 4.x to use a Terayon TeraPro Cable Modem? I
>  have
> > tried two different NICs, and tried PPPoE and editing the dhclient.conf
> > file. Can any one help?!? I am running out of hair to yank out...

> I don't have experience with the Tarayon modem (I use a Toshiba), but maybe
> I can give you some hints.  Generally speaking, you don't need to use PPPoE
> with a cable modem.  Also, I don't know of FreeBSD support for any internal
> cable modems (I'd love to be wrong/ill-informed), so I'm going to assume
> it's an external model.  That being the case, here's a rough rundown of what
> usually needs to happen:
>     The cable modem needs to be connected to the cable network.
>     Your provider needs to allow your modem to access the network. (They
> need to know the modem's MAC address.)
>     The cable modem needs to be connected (via a standard straight-through
> ethernet cable) to your network card.
>     FreeBSD needs to properly recognize the NIC (right settings, no resource
> conflicts, etc).
>     FreeBSD needs to get an address to assign to the NIC.  If you have a
> more or less static address then you can assign it yourself.  Don't forget
> to specify the defaultrouter and DNS servers in this case.
>     Most cable providers offer DHCP (which should assign an IP address as
> well as supply the other settings).  In the simplest case, you can tell
> FreeBSD to use DHCP for an interface by specifying 'ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"' in
> /etc/rc.conf (replacing xl0 with the name of your interface).  Some

> send a hostname parameter so the DHCP server knows which address to assign.
> If you have any Windows-centric instructions and they talk about changing
> the "computer name" to something specific, this is probably the case.  Or
> you can call tech support, pretend you're running windows, and ask them if
> you need to change your computer name for it to work.  If you do need
> dhclient to send a hostname, add a line like this to /etc/dhclient.conf:
>     interface "xl0" { send host-name whatever.name.they.give.you; }

> I'm basically shooting in the dark here, since you didn't provide many
> details (except the graphic description of your hair-loss problem).  If this
> isn't helpful, write again with a more detailed description of your setup
> and what you've tried.

> Good luck,

> JN

FreeBSD and Terayon Cable Modem

Post by Paul » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 05:45:36

Quote:>   Has anyone set up FreeBSD 4.x to use a Terayon TeraPro Cable Modem?
>   I have
> tried two different NICs, and tried PPPoE and editing the
> dhclient.conf file. Can any one help?!? I am running out of hair to
> yank out...

I have, with Euro ISP Chello. Piece of cake using the dhclient software
that comes with BSD. Dunno which ISP you use, they may do it different.
But Chello just does DHCP to assign you everything. My dhclient.conf file
was empty and my rc.conf looked like this:

/etc/rc.conf
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"    # ed0 inteface is connected to Terayon

In fact, I am using the exact same config for RoadRunner and a Ericsson
PipeRider modem no. Did not make a single change. Powered up and away it
went.

try 'dhclient -d <yournic>' to run it in the forground for debugging and
see if it can find the DHCP server.

Warning! Some ISP's lock the MAC address the modem is connected to. So
say you had your modem on a Windblows box and moved it to yur bsd box.
Unless you did a 'winipcfg release all' or took the nic with you, the ISP
may not grant you a lease on your BSD box. Chello wqas not one of those,
at least not with a terayon modem. If your ISP turns out to do this, you
may have to call them and see about changing the MAC address.
--
  __
 /_/             Creator/Maintainer