4.5-RELEASE ldconfig did not load library paths

4.5-RELEASE ldconfig did not load library paths

Post by chri » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 00:12:31

Rebooted a 4.5 system for a new kernel today, and some programs would not
run, erroring out by not finding various libraries installed in
/usr/local/lib.

$ strings /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints
Ehnt

no paths, like I would expect.  I made made a symlink in /usr/lib for one
library, since that worked it must be ignoring the additional paths that
are supposed to be loaded.  Eventually constructed this command:

# ldconfig /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib

and all is well:

$ strings /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints
Ehnt
/usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib

but what happened?  Why didn't /etc/rc do that in the first place?  dmesg
-a says:

Starting final network daemons:
.
ELF ldconfig path: /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib
a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
/usr/X11R6/lib/aout Starting standard daemons:

no errors there.  Anything meaningfull on the console is gone (and I can't
scroll back, sigh).

wish list for ldconfig:

1. *some* additional info should be given with ldconfig -v, even on a
working system it says nothing.  On linux ldconfig -v|grep libmysqlclient
would confirm it was not getting loaded.

2. use ld.so.conf.  Even BSD/OS uses this now, is it really that bad?

1. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release and 4.5 release I'm not insane!

Ok ... tried it again on 4.5 release

It will crash the VM
Just had to repeat it several times

I'm not going insane ... I did see the problem before on 4.5

Also I tried it with linux-jdk1.3.1 with hotspot turned on and it also
dies
On 4.5 and 4.3
This is for both the -server and -client options

So I went back to redhat 7.1 and tried the bsh test on jdk 1.4.0

I tried repeating the line over 200 times ... no crash
So if the problem happens on linux at all it's a lot less likely

So this really seems to point to a problem in the Linux compatibility
layer on FreeBSD.

Should I post this to another list?

Programmer
800-562-9915 x190 or 916-376-6190

Associated Global Systems
3231 Evergreen Ave
West Sacramento, CA 95691

2. .forward/elm filter/time question

3. linux-jdk14 dies on 4.3 release but not on 4.5 release

4. PROBLEM: 3Dfx voodo1 + ncr53c860 = messed up filesystem

5. Upgrading 4.5 Release to 4.5 STABLE

6. USB CD-RW drive and RH8.0

7. System requirements for a NIC?

8. v1.4.5 of the slang programmer's library released

9. Remote Update from 4.4-RELEASE to 4.5-RELEASE

10. NS Comm 4.5 not doing name lookup

11. ldconfig and library paths

12. ldconfig does not update libraries