FreeBSD 4.0 ftpd and telnetd problem

Post by Tyler K McGeorg » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Ever since I've installed FreeBSD, I've been having problems with ftpd and
telnetd. When I try to FTP or Telnet to my UNIX machine from my Windows
machine, it takes an absurdly long amount of time. And it's getting worse.
Lately, it times out before I can actually connect. I think I either have a
problem with my inetd.conf or my ifconfig settings for my NIC. Anybody with
experience with this please mail me and maybe we can get this worked out.

Thanks a bunch,
Ty

FreeBSD 4.0 ftpd and telnetd problem

Post by Dmitry Kazaro » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

It seems that your Windows machine's IP address is not resolved via DNS.
try
    nslookup <windows machine's IP>
if it does not resolve you need to add line for that machine into reverse
map of your domain or to /etc/hosts.

HTH
Dmitry

Quote:> Ever since I've installed FreeBSD, I've been having problems with ftpd and
> telnetd. When I try to FTP or Telnet to my UNIX machine from my Windows
> machine, it takes an absurdly long amount of time. And it's getting worse.
> Lately, it times out before I can actually connect. I think I either have
> problem with my inetd.conf or my ifconfig settings for my NIC. Anybody
with
> experience with this please mail me and maybe we can get this worked out.

> Thanks a bunch,
> Ty

1. freebsd 4.2 sshd, telnetd, pop3 and ftpd all hang after connect

I have seen many posts on this topic but I can't find a solution.  I just
installed 4.2 and installed cucipop as well as the stock telnetd, sshd, and
ftpd.  When I try to connect via telnet, ssh, ftp or pop my mail it connects
fine then hangs.  I have to kill the process then try again.  I've heard
some conflicts with pam not authenticating but I am logging on so I would
like any suggestions that you may have.  I ran make world and mergemaster
after that as someone in another group has suggested but still the same
problems.

Thank you,
-coryg

2. kernel 2.5.8-pre1, tipar: parallel link cable driver for TI graphing calculators

3. argh! mouse problem with freebsd 4.0/xfree 4.0

4. newbie still has problems with DNS and internet provider

5. ftpd and telnetd problems

6. what to do with old tapes

7. Please help , problem with ftpd , telnetd

8. PPP connection between Blade 100 and Netra V120

9. FTPd, TELNETd Problems

10. Problem w/ telnetd, ftpd, and inetd

11. problems with FTPd and TELNETd (maybe it's INETd....)

12. Net-2 problems with ftpd and telnetd

13. telnetd and ftpd problem in Kernel 2.0.24!!