Unreal Tournament on FreeBSD

Post by AceX » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 07:44:05

Sorry about this question, but I don't know an other place to ask. I want to
play Unreal Tournament on FreeBSD 4.7-Stable with Linux Compatibility.

Here are my system specs:

2x Pentium III 800

512 MB RAM

Creative GeForce4 440 MX

A description how it's done can be found here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~3d/apps/games/unreal_tournament/

I don't know which graphic driver I should use for the Linux Compatibility
and how to install it. The only speak about glide, but I want to use OpenGL.

AceX5

Unreal Tournament on FreeBSD

Post by charge » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:21:01

Quote:> Sorry about this question, but I don't know an other place to ask. I
> want to play Unreal Tournament on FreeBSD 4.7-Stable with Linux
> Compatibility.

> Here are my system specs:

> 2x Pentium III 800

> 512 MB RAM

> Creative GeForce4 440 MX

> A description how it's done can be found here:

> http://people.freebsd.org/~3d/apps/games/unreal_tournament/

> I don't know which graphic driver I should use for the Linux
> Compatibility and how to install it. The only speak about glide, but
> I want to use OpenGL.

> AceX5

Did you installed nvida freebsd driver?
Or are you running default?
--
www.chimba-team.tk
www.diviks.tk

Post by Dave Hawort » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:02:58

> Sorry about this question, but I don't know an other place to ask. I want to
> play Unreal Tournament on FreeBSD 4.7-Stable with Linux Compatibility.

well, I never had reason to try to get it to work with an nvidia card but
I did get UT working with my ati radeon 7000. the first thing to do is get
opengl working in general. you should either be using graphics/drm-kmod and
graphics/linux_dri. well, thats what I installed first time round for my ati
card, don't know what you need for the nvidia card.

then I made a softlink from /cdrom to /usr/compat/linux/mnt/cdrom. cd's into
it and ran the installer. I think that was all I needed to do. it seemed happy
then.

then I felt brave, uninstalled drm-kmod and installed dri-devel for it's T&L
support. well, the frame rate certainly seemed faster, although the graphics
wrecked :) not checked it recently, but then I've not played UT recently either

anyone know if the dri-devel port is producing decent looking 3d these days,
and for that matter if it'll work if/when I upgrade to 5?

dave

Post by AceX » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:30:09

> > Sorry about this question, but I don't know an other place to ask. I
> > want to play Unreal Tournament on FreeBSD 4.7-Stable with Linux
> > Compatibility.

> > Here are my system specs:

> > 2x Pentium III 800

> > 512 MB RAM

> > Creative GeForce4 440 MX

> > A description how it's done can be found here:

> > http://people.freebsd.org/~3d/apps/games/unreal_tournament/

> > I don't know which graphic driver I should use for the Linux
> > Compatibility and how to install it. The only speak about glide, but
> > I want to use OpenGL.

> > AceX5

> Did you installed nvida freebsd driver?
> Or are you running default?

I use the default drivers. I've read about the nvidia drivers. They
also support the Linux Compatibility, right?

Post by AceX » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:38:49

> > Sorry about this question, but I don't know an other place to ask. I want to
> > play Unreal Tournament on FreeBSD 4.7-Stable with Linux Compatibility.

> well, I never had reason to try to get it to work with an nvidia card but
> I did get UT working with my ati radeon 7000. the first thing to do is get
> opengl working in general. you should either be using graphics/drm-kmod and
> graphics/linux_dri. well, thats what I installed first time round for my ati
> card, don't know what you need for the nvidia card.

> then I made a softlink from /cdrom to /usr/compat/linux/mnt/cdrom. cd's into
> it and ran the installer. I think that was all I needed to do. it seemed happy
> then.

> then I felt brave, uninstalled drm-kmod and installed dri-devel for it's T&L
> support. well, the frame rate certainly seemed faster, although the graphics
> wrecked :) not checked it recently, but then I've not played UT recently either

> anyone know if the dri-devel port is producing decent looking 3d these days,
> and for that matter if it'll work if/when I upgrade to 5?

> dave

Do you have to modify the UnrealTournament.ini or the Default.ini for
OpenGL support?

Post by David Magd » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:56:17

> I use the default drivers. I've read about the nvidia drivers. They
> also support the Linux Compatibility, right?

Yes: I'm using them to play "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>

Post by AceX » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 02:49:41

> > I use the default drivers. I've read about the nvidia drivers. They
> > also support the Linux Compatibility, right?

> Yes: I'm using them to play "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".

> --
> David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>
> Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under
> the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well
> under the new. -- Niccolo Machiavelli, _The Prince_, Chapter VI

I just have to install the FreeBSD Nvidia drivers and thats it?

Post by David Magd » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:42:00

> I just have to install the FreeBSD Nvidia drivers and thats it?

Go through the FreeBSD README. I can't remember exactly what I did
anymore.

--

Post by AceX » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:48:15

> > I just have to install the FreeBSD Nvidia drivers and thats it?

> Go through the FreeBSD README. I can't remember exactly what I did
> anymore.

> --
> David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>
> Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under
> the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well
> under the new. -- Niccolo Machiavelli, _The Prince_, Chapter VI

I tried to install the Nvidia drivers. There is only one problem. I can't
build the kernel with the option USER_LTD. The compiler says, the option is
unknown. I'm sad.

Post by David Magd » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:25:36

> I tried to install the Nvidia drivers. There is only one problem. I can't
> build the kernel with the option USER_LTD. The compiler says, the option is
> unknown. I'm sad.

You should activate the console mouse (moused(8)). That way you can
simply cut'n'paste and not have to type:

options         USER_LDT     #allow user-level control of i386 ldt

*not*

option          USER_LTD
                    ^^^^

 :>

--

Post by AceX » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:32:58

> > > I just have to install the FreeBSD Nvidia drivers and thats it?

> > Go through the FreeBSD README. I can't remember exactly what I did
> > anymore.

> > --
> > David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>
> > Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under
> > the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well
> > under the new. -- Niccolo Machiavelli, _The Prince_, Chapter VI

> I tried to install the Nvidia drivers. There is only one problem. I can't
> build the kernel with the option USER_LTD. The compiler says, the option
is
> unknown. I'm sad.

Ok, it was my fault. Now X ist working with the new drivers. If I try to
start the UT demo or the full version there is still an error. Can't find
package for GliDrv or so. Can you help me with that?

Post by David Magd » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:30:59

> Ok, it was my fault. Now X ist working with the new drivers. If I try to
> start the UT demo or the full version there is still an error. Can't find
> package for GliDrv or so. Can you help me with that?

What's the error?

Also, there's a FAQ available, you may want to go through it:

http://www.veryComputer.com/*andtwo.org/nvidia/faq.html

--

Post by AceX » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:46:55

> > Ok, it was my fault. Now X ist working with the new drivers. If I try to
> > start the UT demo or the full version there is still an error. Can't find
> > package for GliDrv or so. Can you help me with that?

> What's the error?

> Also, there's a FAQ available, you may want to go through it:

> http://www.veryComputer.com/*andtwo.org/nvidia/faq.html

Here is what I got:

#./UnrealTournament
Can't find the file or package for 'WinDrv'

History:
#

I think the error depends on my Default.ini. I used the one from my
Windows installation of UT. That's bad.

Post by David Magd » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:05:36

> Here is what I got:

> #./UnrealTournament
> Can't find the file or package for 'WinDrv'

> History:
> #

> I think the error depends on my Default.ini. I used the one from my
> Windows installation of UT. That's bad.

I don't know what that error means. As I don't have UT, I'm not sure
I'll be able to help you get it working.

There's an UT on FreeBSD page at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~3d/apps/games/unreal_tournament/

Try re-installing it (from scratch) following their instructions, and
see how it goes. It only talks about 3Dfx/Glide but you may be able
to get it with NVidia. It's all I can suggest.

--

Post by Aleksey Salo » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:25:14

> Here is what I got:

> #./UnrealTournament
> Can't find the file or package for 'WinDrv'

> I think the error depends on my Default.ini. I used the one from my
> Windows installation of UT. That's bad.

This error depends on UnrealTournament.ini. You must edit this file.
This is part of my ini file.

--==  Cut UnrealToutnament.ini ==--

[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
WindowedRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
AudioDevice=Audio.GenericAudioSubsystem
NetworkDevice=IpDrv.TcpNetDriver
DemoRecordingDevice=Engine.DemoRecDriver
Console=UTMenu.UTConsole
Language=int
GameEngine=Engine.GameEngine
EditorEngine=Editor.EditorEngine
DefaultGame=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus
DefaultServerGame=Botpack.DeathMatchPlus
ViewportManager=SDLDrv.SDLClient
Render=Render.Render
Input=Engine.Input
Canvas=Engine.Canvas