news groups

Post by E. Scott Larse » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

I am on this news group from my nt partition (ACK!) and I hate it.  I
use FreeBSD for everything I can, but the Communicator 4.05 that is on

I can use news without having to reboot to nt, mail the news I want to
myself, then reboot to ux and go from there?

news groups

Post by Alexander Vi » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

>I am on this news group from my nt partition (ACK!) and I hate it.  I
>use FreeBSD for everything I can, but the Communicator 4.05 that is on

        Details, please.
>  How do I fix this so that
>I can use news without having to reboot to nt, mail the news I want to
>myself, then reboot to ux and go from there?

        Erm... What's wrong with regular newsreaders? trn, tin - name it.
Figure out the name of your newsserver and check the connectivity (say
telnet [name of your server] 119). If it will give you something like
201 yodda, yodda...
- fine. Say QUIT to close the connection and install any normal
newsreader. If not - well, * at your ISP. No newsreader will work
without NNTP connection. If folks on your ISP produced some special
mostrosity (web-based, some proprietary bullshit, whatever) - ask them
about details.
                                                HTH.
                                                        Al
--
My theory is that someone's Emacs crashed on a very early version of Linux
while reading alt.flame and the resulting unholy combination of Elisp and

1. NEWS GROUPS?!?!?!

Is there a setup that I can use to download all my mail into Linux so I can
read it offline later on?

I use SOUP and YARN for OS/2. Is there sucha thing for Linux? Right now I am
using Tin for a news reader but am having to read articles on-line.

Any help appreciated.

Larry

2. Printer Driver for HP Designjet 755CM?

3. Security Mailing List or News Group??

4. Term and Mosaic: Help needed

5. LINUX news groups

6. Smail Query

7. What are other news group servers?