install doesn't see CD Rom (newbie)

Post by StinkFoo » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,

I'm just getting started with unix and recently got the FreeBSD 2.2.6
set from Walnut Creek.  I'm running a 486/66 with 8 meg and the
Panasonic/Soundblaster CD Rom to soundcard setup.  For some reason I
can't get the software to see the CD Rom to install. My BIOS doesn't
support booting from the CD so I made the boot floppy...The setup runs
fine til it actually wants to start copying files...then I get an error
reporting that no CD Rom can be found.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  If you need more info, let me
know.

Thanks.

Post by Jordan K. Hubba » Sun, 17 May 1998 04:00:00

> I'm just getting started with unix and recently got the FreeBSD 2.2.6
> set from Walnut Creek.  I'm running a 486/66 with 8 meg and the
> Panasonic/Soundblaster CD Rom to soundcard setup.  For some reason I

Please see the last entry in:

        ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT

Thanks.

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  Co-founder/Release Manager, The FreeBSD Project

install doesn't see CD Rom (newbie)

Post by StinkFoo » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

Please see the last entry in:

Quote:>         ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT

Thanks for the reply.  Downloaded the new boot floppy image and everything
is working fine now.

Stinkfoot.

1. CD-Rom not seen for install (HELP NEWBIE)

I am trying to install openserver 5.0.4 and can't get the CD-Rom to be
recognized during the install. I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI adapter
hooked to a Matshita PD-1 LF-1000 SCSI CD-Rom drive.

Here are the syptoms:

1. Turn on machine
2. Check adapter ID under adaptec setup, adapter at ID #7
3. Reboot
4. See adaptec BIOS test OK, cdrom at ID #4
5. Booting from image N00 from floppy
6. When kernel screen appears listing the device info I see the following
       adapter type=alad,id=7
       cdrom type=S,id=5
7. I press enter to begin install
8. When blue screen "Identifying intall media device" appears I see the
following
       SCSI adapter type:     alad, Adaptec 294x (7870 & 7880 chip)
       SCSI host adapter:     0
                         SCSI ID:     5
                     SCSI LUN:     0
                    SCSI BUS:      0
9. If I leave at default and try and load, I get message device not found
10. When I try to change just SCSI ID to 4, hard disk spins up and screen
telling me CD not found
11. When I try to change adapter ID to 7, only values 1 thru 4 are
available.

I need help as to what to do next. Please responf via post and email.

Thanks,
Todd

2. hitachi vb7580 internal ethernet not supported ?

3. RH5.1 install can't see CD-ROM -- traditional advice doesn't help

4. Best Printer Linux, Thinking of Cannon BubbleJet

5. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

6. Boot Sector readout

7. RH 7.1 Install doesn't recognize CD-ROM

8. problem posting with tin 2.1 and linux

9. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

10. Just installed, but doesn't recognize mouse or CD-ROM

11. HELP - IDE CD-ROM doesn't mount after install on x86

12. OpenLinux install doesn't recognize my CD-ROM

13. can't install linux- cd didn't come with driver for cd-rom