Boot FreeBSD from 2nd drive, with NT boot manager??

Boot FreeBSD from 2nd drive, with NT boot manager??

Post by mrsi.. » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I have FreeBSD installed on a second IDE drive. I have Windows NT on the first IDE drive. I would like to use the NT boot manager to boot FreeBSD.

I have read your FAQ in section 6.6 but it only tells me how to boot if FreeBSD is on the same drive as Windows NT! If I try using that 'bootsect.bsd' I get the following error: 'No Bootable Partition'

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

1. Booting FreeBSD from NT boot manager?

The answer is in the FAQ:

6.6. How can I use the NT loader to boot FreeBSD?

The general idea is that you copy the first sector of your native root
Linux or FreeBSD partition into a file in the DOS/NT partition. Assuming
you name that file something like c:\bootsect.lnx or c:\bootsect.bsd
(inspired by c:\bootsect.dos) you can then edit the c:\boot.ini file to
come up with something like this:

            [boot loader]
            timeout=30
            [operating systems]
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows NT"
            C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"
            C:\BOOTSECT.BSD="FreeBSD"
            C:\="DOS"

This procedure assumes that DOS, NT, Linux, FreeBSD, or whatever have been
installed into their respective fdisk partitions on the same disk. In my
case DOS & NT are in the first fdisk partition, Linux in the second, and
FreeBSD in the third. I also installed Linux and FreeBSD to boot from their
native partitions, not the disk MBR, and without delay.

Mount a DOS-formatted floppy (if you've converted to NTFS) or the FAT
partition, under, say, /mnt.

In Linux:

            dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/mnt/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

In FreeBSD:

            dd if=/dev/rsd0a of=/mnt/bootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1

Reboot into DOS or NT. NTFS users copy the bootsect.lnx and/or the
bootsect.bsd file from the floppy to C:\. Modify the attributes
(permissions) on boot.ini with:

            attrib -s -r c:\boot.ini

Edit to add the appropriate entries from the example boot.ini above, and
restore the attributes:

            attrib -r -s c:\boot.ini

If Linux or FreeBSD are booting from the MBR, restore it with the DOS
``fdisk /mbr'' command after you reconfigure them to boot from their native
partitions.

--

FreeBSD FAQ: <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/>

2. konqueror wont open web pages

3. NT boot FreeBSD off 2nd drive ?

4. Linux 2.4.9-ac5

5. Booting from third drive using NT boot manager

6. Linux help with partitioning

7. FreeBSD boot manager and Windows NT disk manager

8. Looking for correct Monitor specs

9. Linux install onto 2nd drive broke NT boot on 1st drive

10. Which FreeBsd boot sector to use (Dual booting NT/FreeBSD) ?

11. Boot manager to boot from 2nd harddisk?

12. Boot issues (will Windows 95 boot from the 2nd drive withBootEasy???; strange error message with wd0)

13. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager