Multiple sound sources/playback.

Post by Josh Berr » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:15:47

Well, I amazingly got my sblive to work with my computer. :)  (Ok, so I lucked
out and let other people do the hard parts.  I simply said device pcm.:)

However, it does seem like a let down that I can only play sound from one
program at a time.  So... I'm guessing there is more that I can do.  How do
I set it up so that multiple sounds can be played at a time?

-josh

--
Joshua A. Berry

Multiple sound sources/playback.

Post by Nate / DA » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:53:50

Quote:> However, it does seem like a let down that I can only play sound from one
> program at a time.  So... I'm guessing there is more that I can do.  How do
> I set it up so that multiple sounds can be played at a time?

You will probably want to install ESD - The Enlightened Sound Daemon.
This lets programs make connections to it (sockets I guess) to play
sounds.  Programs must explicitly support it of course, but those that to
can have sounds mixed with each other.  Today for example, I had mpg123
and timidity running at the same time (to adjust the default volume in
a little one-line timidity wrapper script, to match that of mpg123).

I use it with an ESS Audiodrive 18xx series onboard sound device, on a
P166 MMX w/24M of ram.  On this box, ESD alone takes about 4% CPU as
indicated by top(1), and mpg123 takes 15-18% depending on the mp3 I'm
playing.  Timidity takes a good 40-50% by comparison.

|         .       .        |                  _____      |

| |  |\_|_\_\_. \_|\_|_\_. |     hobby?   |`'|     `~~'  |
|   _             .  .      `-----------. | `|     .--.  |
|  /_\ |  _  _  _ |_ | _     _  _ ._ _  | |  `\____|___\ |
| |(_Y |/(_`/ `'_|| \|/_)   / `/ \| | | |  \_      |     |
|  \_. |\._)\_.(_||_/|\_. O \_.\_/| | | |    \_____|     |
`---------------------------------------"----------------'

Post by Josh Berr » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:10:16

:> However, it does seem like a let down that I can only play sound from one
:> program at a time.  So... I'm guessing there is more that I can do.  How do
:> I set it up so that multiple sounds can be played at a time?

: You will probably want to install ESD - The Enlightened Sound Daemon.

Oddly enough, I had it installed. :)  I am not sure how to make x11amp use
it, but with xmms it was straightforward enough.  So... I am now using
xmms. :)

Thanks for the post.

-josh

--