java_vm memory leak with Mozilla RC 1.0

Post by Neil » Fri, 03 May 2002 04:28:48

Has anyone encountered this? Even better, has anyone solved it?

If I open with Mozilla any website that has any java on it, then when I
close Mozilla, the java_vm process goes crazy and requires a manual kill.
This has been a problem with Moz 9.9 and RC1.0; and with the
jdk-1.3.1p6_2 and jdk-1.3.1p6_4.

Example websites that exhibit this behavior:

http://java.sun.com/
http://neshort.port5.com/applets/hebdrill/hebdrill.html

but any site that has an applet will do it.

Post by Neil » Sun, 05 May 2002 04:11:21

> mozilla-1.0.rc1,1 with plugin from
> jdk-1.3.1p6_4 on
> FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #2: Thu Apr 18 00:28:04 CEST 2002

> exists cleanly.

You may have something there. I'm still on FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #0. Maybe
I'll cvsup this weekend. It's just a little intimidating since something
always goes wrong on the install; but maybe I need the practice. Thanks
for the headsup.

Post by Adam Garci » Sun, 05 May 2002 10:52:25

> | | Has anyone encountered this? Even better, has anyone solved it?
> | |
> | | If I open with Mozilla any website that has any java on it, then when I
> | | close Mozilla, the java_vm process goes crazy and requires a manual kill.
> | | This has been a problem with Moz 9.9 and RC1.0; and with the
> | | jdk-1.3.1p6_2 and jdk-1.3.1p6_4.
> | | [...]
> |
> | This is probably not of much use to you but
> |
> | mozilla-1.0.rc1,1 with plugin from
> | jdk-1.3.1p6_4 on
> | FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #2: Thu Apr 18 00:28:04 CEST 2002
> |
> | exists cleanly.
>      ^
>   exits

I just installed java jdk13 last night via the ports and ran top and
found that it was using anywhere between 30 and 70% cpu time and had
been running for like 500 mins. I manually killed it then click on those
links here's the latest top output:

adam      18   0    98M 21604K pause    0:12  0.00%  0.00% java_vm

Being the newbie that I am, is that right that it allocated 98Megs?
Should it still be running even though mozilla isn't?

java_vm memory leak with Mozilla RC 1.0

Post by Neil » Tue, 07 May 2002 13:22:18

I still have the issue.
now runnung FreeBSD 4.6-PRERELEASE #0
mozilla 1.0 RC1
jdk build 1.3.1-p6

Whether I use the native vm or the linux java vm, if I visit a website
that has java on in (example: http://java.sun.com) and then close
Mozilla, the java_vm goes crazy and requires kill -9.

Any idea what I'm missing?

java_vm memory leak with Mozilla RC 1.0

Post by Neil » Wed, 08 May 2002 23:05:36

then when I

Quote:> close Mozilla, the java_vm process goes crazy and requires a manual
> kill.

Hey, everybody! I solved it. It has to do with the window manager
environment of Blackbox (blackbox-0.62.1, at any rate). It fails to
terminate the java_vm.

I had a menu entry that launched Mozilla this way:
 [exec] (Mozilla) {mozilla}

The solution is to modify the Blackbox menu to launch Mozilla this way:

 [exec] (Mozilla) {xterm -iconic -e mozilla}

In the xterm environment, the java_vm will close properly along with
Mozilla.